man with concealed handgun carry permit slays family

This is a discussion on man with concealed handgun carry permit slays family within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Chilling 911 calls from slain N.C. family home By MARTHA WAGGONER Associated Press Writer Posted: Thursday, Nov. 05, 2009 RALEIGH, N.C. Police on Monday released ...

Thread: man with concealed handgun carry permit slays family

man with concealed handgun carry permit slays family

Chilling 911 calls from slain N.C. family home
    By MARTHA WAGGONER
    Associated Press Writer
    Posted: Thursday, Nov. 05, 2009

RALEIGH, N.C. Police on Monday released 911 recordings that contain the sounds of a gunshot and a relative pleading for ambulances to get to the Fayetteville home of a man who authorities say killed his wife and two children, then committed suicide.

In the first call, a voice is heard quietly moaning before the sound of a shot. A 911 operator tries in vain to get someone to speak.

On the second call, apparently made about 80 minutes later at 8 p.m., a man who identifies himself as John Fox describes the scene Monday night at a home in a quiet, upscale section of the city. A woman is heard in the background saying, "I knew it. I knew it."

"We've been trying to contact our daughter, and it appears they are in the kitchen," Fox said. "And we can't get in the house but we can see through the door."

When the operator asks if the people have wounds, Fox says: "Yeah, there's blood all over the place."

Police have said businessman William Maxwell, 47, shot and killed his wife, Kathryn, 43, and their children, 17-year-old Connor and 15-year-old Cameron, before killing himself. Connor Maxwell was found in an upstairs bedroom, the other three bodies were in the kitchen.

The family obituaries identify John Fox as Kathryn Maxwell's father.

Police spokeswoman Theresa Chance said in an e-mail that police "followed our abandoned 911 protocol" after the first call was disconnected. She did not immediately respond to a request for details about that protocol.

Friends said Thursday that Maxwell's behavior changed in the weeks before the shootings but did not say exactly how. Some were concerned enough to attend a family meeting Monday afternoon at the Maxwells' home, where they discussed how to help William Maxwell.

Maxwell received a handgun purchase permit in December 2007 and a concealed handgun carry permit in January 2008, said Debbie Tanna, a spokeswoman for the Cumberland County Sheriff's Office, which issued the permits.

A memorial service for the family is scheduled for 1 p.m. Friday at Snyder Memorial Baptist Church, where they were members.

Chilling 911 calls from slain N.C. family home - CharlotteObserver.com

Tragic story...such an unnecessary loss of life. I have seen results firsthand of a situation very similar to this when I was working for the local EMS agency. Hope the Anti-gun crowd doesn't use this to try and take away our right to carry concealed!
    Last edited by AWDeanSr; November 5th, 2009 at 02:42 PM. Reason: idiot
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

2. Remove Ads

80 minutes later
    A lot of bad happened here. But the police didn't follow up on a 911 call and a gunshot?
    In my city if you make a 911 call even if it is a mistake, the police will be at your door.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    A lot of bad happened here. But the police didn't follow up on a 911 call and a gunshot?
    In my city if you make a 911 call even if it is a mistake, the police will be at your door.
    Ditto, for my whole county!
    It reads as though they now after the fact have "abandoned" that protocol.

Anyway what is with these men killing their whole family?
    Life sucks? Okay. Wanna do yourself? Okay.
    But don't run up and do your whole family too!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Ditto, for my whole county!
    It reads as though they now after the fact have "abandoned" that protocol.

- Janq
    We will never know what was going through his mixed up mind...I have never understood these types who kill their families then themselves.

Do not read the rest of this if a graphic recount bothers you!

I got a call one night to a house, a husband and wife had some sort of argument. He went to his truck and brought a large caliber back inside..the wife tried to lock herself and two children in a bedroom. He kicked the door open, shot the wife and a kid...the other kid dove through a nearby window. The husband stepped back into the nearby hallway and placed the gun to his chin...

I walked into the house within minutes of this carnage...Saw the shooter first...the carpet was so full of blood it came up over my boots. The wife was layng motionless with a kitchen knife in her hand...the kid was in the corner and had tried to block the rounds fired at him with his hands and arms...

The moral of the story.....be alert no matter who you are around and remember guns don't murder people...deranged psychopaths do.
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Burn in Hades John Fox

Sounds like if he was having issues they should have tried to get his weapons removed by the courts,but that doesn't mean he couldn't of got another weapon somehow,anybody intent on killing can grab any number of weapons in a house,from knives to hammers
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I believe...

that John Fox is the woman victim's father, not the perp. Burn in hell William Maxwell.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Sounds like if he was having issues they should have tried to get his weapons removed by the courts,but that doesn't mean he couldn't of got another weapon somehow,anybody intent on killing can grab any number of weapons in a house,from knives to hammers
    I agree, his possession of a chp is a moot point. He would have found a way to arm himself in order to do what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    Burn in Hades John Fox
    John Fox was the deceased woman's father who placed the second 911 call from outside the residence after they could not gain entry! He was not the shooter!

The shooter was John Fox's son-in-law, William Maxwell!

I'm with Janq...

- Janq
    I can say that often with murder/suicides, with those who have gone on killing rampages at the workplace or at the local mall or other similar cases, it has been discovered when they investigate after finding out the identity of the shooter, that the shooter had killed his entire family before going on their rampage. They have attributed to killing the family first to the fact the murderer, in their twisted mind wants to spare the rest of the family the stigma of dealing with the aftermath of their actions. They want to save the wife and children of having to go through life dealing with the ridicule and the fact that their father committed a horrendous crime.

I don't know how they came up with that hypothesis, but that's what I learned in one of my EMS continuing education classes I attended several years ago.

I don't know how much I buy into that theory... It could be plausible in some cases, but in these cases where they only murder their immediate family plus themselves, I think it's anyone's guess as to why.

One thing is common in a lot of these cases is that people noticed a change in the persons behavior shortly before the incident. And that was apparently also the case in this incident.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

two yrs. after he got his chl, sounds like he may have had a mental problem. the sniper on the U.T. tower in TX. Charles Whitman was found to have had a brain tumor in his autopsy....but who knows,its still a terrible story.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    two yrs. after he got his chl, sounds like he may have had a mental problem. the sniper on the U.T. tower in TX. Charles Whitman was found to have had a brain tumor in his autopsy....but who knows,its still a terrible story.
    Agreed...especially after this gem... Something wasn't right in that fellers head.
    Friends said Thursday that Maxwell's behavior changed in the weeks before the shootings but did not say exactly how. Some were concerned enough to attend a family meeting Monday afternoon at the Maxwells' home, where they discussed how to help William Maxwell.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Links