Mass Shooting at Ft. Hood Texas Army Base (Merged) - Updated

This is a discussion on Mass Shooting at Ft. Hood Texas Army Base (Merged) - Updated within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; God bless her and prayers for a speedy recovery. Imagine what it must be like to go into a room with a shooter and everyone ...

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Shooting at Ft. Hood Texas Army Base (Merged) - Updated

God bless her and prayers for a speedy recovery.
    Imagine what it must be like to go into a room with a shooter and everyone is dressed alike?
    I can't believe that a small percentage of soldiers didn't charge this guy and bring him down. Just waiting to be shot? I can understand it in a classroom, but not an army base. Hell, he had to reload!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Damion View Post
    (not diredted at any member that is a vet or currently serving in the armed forces)ok i tryed to read past this post but i couldnt am sorry to the poster of this message for the comment i make :
    As being a soldier currently in iraq on my (2nd) tour and having PTSD AND being a CCWer i am truley offended by this comment WE are not (messed)*edited* up in the head we are dealing with things that are beyonded any civilan comprehention LEO's would understand and i hoped that CCWer would also understand what we see and the friends we have lost ,You know what arm the guy and girls with guns i can still fight for my country but your saying am to messed up to defend my brothers and sisters at home!!!!LIKE WE DO OVERSEAS............when i first joined this fourm i thought thank god true people who wont judge us for the things that some of us live with everyday or those of us in iraq and afgan horrorified about what happened at fort hood........... i think i need to just step away from this for a min. its 2300hrs here and i think am just worn out sorry again everyone but i couldn't not say something .<----thought it fit there
    I pretty much agree with the sentiments made here. There military now recognizes that pretty much everyone deployed to combat zones in OIF and OEF have some sort of stress injuries (most of which are less severe than PTSD and go away after a couple weeks back stateside.) I completed an OIF combat deployment in March, and am now staring down a second combat deployment less than a year after the end of my first. The government trusts me as an infantryman with a large variety of automatic weapons and explosives while overseas, its a necessity of my job. I think that civilians should be able to trust me with a 1911 while home on leave.

Just like if I am going out drinking with my friends on leave, I leave the pistol at home, if something was wrong with me mentally, I would leave the weapons alone. If you can't trust the men and women of the military to do that, how is it they are entrusted with the security of the whole country, including you and your families?

Sorry, RANT OFF.

I hope all the victims have a speedy recovery, the fallen soldiers rest in peace, and the shooter gets what he deserves.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    FWIIW I too found it offensive.
    It is worth a lot. So why don't you guys help guys like me be able to talk about what is obviously an issue without offending everyone out there.

What is the PC way to address what we are discussing outside of not discussing it?

Everyone knows that people in the war(s) experience *stuff* that those of us who have never been in a war can comprehend. We also know that these *things* have the potential of staying with them for a lifetime. How can we openly talk about this topic without offending everyone?

And for the record... I apologized for my offending remarks against those who have experienced stuff that is so heavy that some of us will never understand (even though I was using the exact quote of a vet who experienced it himself). I haven't seen anyone else apologize for the offending remarks about religion which were being thrown around left and right earlier but I don't expect anyone too either.

Anyways... can people talk about it without being offended? If so... let's do it!

"But back to the topic... since we can't expect everyone out there to do what my neighbor did and realize a potential problem before it escalated into a problem... do we trust that everyone else would do the same or is there some how to evaluate if *SOME* people are stable enough to be armed 24/7 while on base? Or do people even care and that is a chance they are willing to take?"

If we want to live in a free society it requires the acceptance of a certain amount of risk. The more value you place on freedom the greater the risk you have to accept in allowing the exercise of that freedom.

Regarding the religious component of this attack. Based on what I've read regarding statements he made there were signs that this individual was potentially a threat. That threat potential happens to be based to some extent on his view of the wars in Iraq and Aftganistan in the context of him being a Muslim. I don't see how you can have an honest and intelligent discussion of the cause of this attack without a discussion of the religious component that seems to be central to the attackers motivation for committing the attack.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Quote Originally Posted by brobar View Post
    I'm a vet myself (who has never seen combat) and have several friends AND family members who have served and experienced PTSD. I've got a friend who lives right down the street with Gulf War syndrome. He admits himself that he is "messed up" for what he experienced. He doesn't try and hide it or sugar coat it. With the thoughts of suicide and the myriad of other thoughts he has had since returning home... he was of the mind to give his firearms to family members outside of his househould because he wasn't sure what he would do. Regardless of how "messed up" he thinks he is... he was at least of sound enough mind to know that he could be a harm to himself or someone else so he did the right thing and took a dangerous variable outside of the equation.

SO... I'm sorry if you took offense to the term that some of your own are using. I don't know how to word it without it being offensive to somebody now... but some people who are distrubed, have PTSD, gulf war syndrome, something just isn't right for whatever reason that I and others in the general populous just can't understand (I hope that isn't offensive)... know that they can be a threat to themselves and others. This isn't all inclusive and obviously it isn't including YOU.

But back to the topic... since we can't expect everyone out there to do what my neighbor did and realize a potential problem before it escalated into a problem... do we trust that everyone else would do the same or is there some how to evaluate if *SOME* people are stable enough to be armed 24/7 while on base? Or do people even care and that is a chance they are willing to take?

I'm sorry you found that offensive... I just figured it was a legit question that if I didn't ask someone else would.
    thank you for that but to anwser your question in my opinon i am an MP that carrys everyday i work and i also ccw off post i think of it like my secuirty blanket it makes me feel better nowing that my wife (if put in a palce where i would have to pull)wont live with the pain of maybe killing someone as i have already had to do (in combat) as for your friend hats off to him for knowing he couldnt carry anymore but what offended me is the blanket statment about all of us we in the military try not to put all the sillyvilans in the same blanket statement .....thats like me as an MP saying all gun owners how carry are criminals THAT is totally untrue i have learned not just from this fourm but others that MOST gun owners carry themselfs very well BUT the bad seeds get anti gun people calling us wac-o's with a means to kill putting us ALLL in the same BLANKET STATMENT as i know from reading this fourm like my bible so i dont think about the stresses of my job here that we as a hole get upset when the anti's bunch us in to the group of bad seeds .....NOW as for carrying on post or base the commanding general of the post or base i think is the only one person who can change that rule again i think not sure but i will look into it ! as an MP i wouldnt mind people carrying as long as the same respects where given to us as are localand state LEO's get by clamly telling me you are carrying conceled .....BUT on the flipside i dont ever see the army changing its ways about carrying on post

SPC.Damion Castro
    S&W M&P 45c sold
    HK USPc 45 sold
    Glock 36M CC

Quote Originally Posted by Damion View Post
    thank you for that but to anwser your question in my opinon i am an MP that carrys everyday i work and i also ccw off post i think of it like my secuirty blanket it makes me feel better nowing that my wife (if put in a palce where i would have to pull)wont live with the pain of maybe killing someone as i have already had to do (in combat) as for your friend hats off to him for knowing he couldnt carry anymore but what offended me is the blanket statment about all of us we in the military try not to put all the sillyvilans in the same blanket statement .....thats like me as an MP saying all gun owners how carry are criminals THAT is totally untrue i have learned not just from this fourm but others that MOST gun owners carry themselfs very well BUT the bad seeds get anti gun people calling us wac-o's with a means to kill putting us ALLL in the same BLANKET STATMENT as i know from reading this fourm like my bible so i dont think about the stresses of my job here that we as a hole get upset when the anti's bunch us in to the group of bad seeds .....NOW as for carrying on post or base the commanding general of the post or base i think is the only one person who can change that rule again i think not sure but i will look into it ! as an MP i wouldnt mind people carrying as long as the same respects where given to us as are localand state LEO's get by clamly telling me you are carrying conceled .....BUT on the flipside i dont ever see the army changing its ways about carrying on post

SPC.Damion Castro
    Thanks for the response. I tried to be cautious in the original post by saying *SOME* but I may have missed that 'causing it to look like a blanket statement. Which is exactly the problem I think occurred with the previous religious statements where they were grouping all muslims into a blanket statement instead of saying *SOME*. It makes a big difference and hopefully they can see that as I now see that since I just did the same thing but with a different group.

Most of my friends and ALL of my family members... they all seem fine now. And that is what I hope for all of our men and women when they return. There are a few who themselves self admit that they are not fine and never know if they will be fine. It is a hell that they live with that we try and tip-toe around when near them even though they beg us not to.

I know so many people who have been through it (or are still going through it). I wouldn't deny anyone the right to protect themselves be it on base, off base, their home, where have you. I just had a specific few individuals in mind when creating the OP and I was just curious if instances like that mattered to others. I mean we all have stresses (family, job, money, etc... that can 'cause us to snap) but like you said... we have no idea the amount of stress you guys go through on a day-to-day basis.

Thanks for talking about it with us and keeping an open mind in your responses. I appreciate it! I hope for your safe return!

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    God bless her and prayers for a speedy recovery.
    Imagine what it must be like to go into a room with a shooter and everyone is dressed alike?
    I can't believe that a small percentage of soldiers didn't charge this guy and bring him down. Just waiting to be shot? I can understand it in a classroom, but not an army base. Hell, he had to reload!
    GandM, I can't believe you just wrote that. You weren't their, and have no idea who had what, if any opportunity to "rush him".
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by brobar View Post
    Thanks for the response. I tried to be cautious in the original post by saying *SOME* but I may have missed that 'causing it to look like a blanket statement. Which is exactly the problem I think occurred with the previous religious statements where they were grouping all muslims into a blanket statement instead of saying *SOME*. It makes a big difference and hopefully they can see that as I now see that since I just did the same thing but with a different group.

Most of my friends and ALL of my family members... they all seem fine now. And that is what I hope for all of our men and women when they return. There are a few who themselves self admit that they are not fine and never know if they will be fine. It is a hell that they live with that we try and tip-toe around when near them even though they beg us not to.

I know so many people who have been through it (or are still going through it). I wouldn't deny anyone the right to protect themselves be it on base, off base, their home, where have you. I just had a specific few individuals in mind when creating the OP and I was just curious if instances like that mattered to others. I mean we all have stresses (family, job, money, etc... that can 'cause us to snap) but like you said... we have no idea the amount of stress you guys go through on a day-to-day basis.

Thanks for talking about it with us and keeping an open mind in your responses. I appreciate it! I hope for your safe return!
    i still have a huge problem with talking about my issues and the things i and my battles have had to do just to get home and as i said before i tryed to read past it and got stuck, PTSD is not something SOME of us would like to admit we have i know this is my first post on any fourm where i openly admit to having PTSD,PTSD is kinda like politics and religion with most of us in the military its something we dont like to talk about ......we are veiwed in the eyes of many as hero's but as for myself i dont think i was or am back then i was a scared kid wanting to go home now am the big brother to the new generation who are in my old shoes and its my job to tell them its ok, and as far as coming home safe i will tell you like i tell my family ......if it is to be it will be but thank you for keeping me and my brothers and sister here in Iraq,Afgan and def. with those of my fallin battle buddies at FT.Hood TX

D

P.S i am sorry about the comments people made about a subject that i will not talk about even at my home in your thoughts
    S&W M&P 45c sold
    HK USPc 45 sold
    Glock 36M CC

Another GUN FREE ZONE gone bad.

Another 'female' officer shooting the BG...

We don't trust our military to carry guns ? Seem stupid to anyone else ?

Another person jumping on a table, shouting Allah is great, then started shooting..... sound familiar to anyone ??

An argument for "more carrying" of guns, vs the "less" the anti's will scream for. If others would have been armed they would not have had to wait for Security to shoot him. IF the people in the building in Orlanda had protection, he could not have shot so many. The women raped and strangled by the one guy 'may' still be alive if they had been armed.

It's time we educate people on how not to be a victim, rather than... the argument that is sure to come from the anti's that there should be more restrictions. Obama... is not using the photo opts at Walter Reed for no reason.

Thanks again... for both your service and for talking about something that is difficult for you to talk about!

Much love & respect!!!

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    We don't trust our military to carry guns ? Seem stupid to anyone else ?
    We trust them to carry military issued weapons under strict guidelines and direct supervision.

Our hiring practices, personnel requirements, and training resources don't allow for every soldier to CC.

There are some in the uniformed services today who can't even legally own a weapon.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Interesting developments. Seems Hasan had at least one FN 5.7x28 semi-automatic that he'd purchased in Killeen, TX, right next door. Perfectly legal purchase, but illegal to carry on base. I had earlier asked how he got off so many shots. Turns out that model comes with a 20-round magazine. If he had two identical FNs, he had 40 rounds without having to reload. They haven't said, but undoubtedly the ammo was NOT the Kevlar penetrating kind only available to police and the military -- unless he convinced the gun store owner he was military, so it would be alright. The ER workers had commented the rounds looked more like the damage from rifle fire.

Hopefully by now everyone has gotten the picture that this guy had spent too much time in the Quran and in online postings. NPR, of all places, said he got into trouble in medical school for trying to convert patients and colleagues to Islam. Great start for your medical/military career.
    Ruger LCP
    KelTec P11
    Ruger P89
    Taurus M380

PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    Our hiring practices, personnel requirements, and training resources don't allow for every soldier to CC. There are some in the uniformed services today who can't even legally own a weapon.
    Then maybe they should not be in the uniformed service!! What ever happened to if you have a criminal background you can not join the military? I have heard that there are bangers and others who are getting the choice of join the armed forces or go to the pen --- alot take the armed forces. That cause problems for all of us --- those in the serivce have to put up with the rifrafe and those of us on the outside have to wonder if the gangs will ripoff the arms lockers at the local National Guard. While this is not the case with this Major --- it is said he was a clean-cut-guy --- it may be the case with the next active shooter in the military.

Remind me why we can trust them with the weapon overseas but not here?

More About The "Hero" of Ft. Hood

More About The "Hero" of Ft. Hood:

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

* NEW: Neighbors describe hero officer as enforcer of her street
    * Officer Kimberly Munley shot gunman four times at Fort Hood, general says
    * General says Munley acted "pretty amazing and aggressive"
    * Watch CNN special investigation at 8 p.m. ET Saturday on CNN

Fort Hood, Texas (CNN) -- The police officer who ended the Fort Hood massacre by shooting the suspect is known as the enforcer on her street, a "tough woman" who patrolled her neighborhood and once stopped burglars at her house.

"If you come in, I'm going to shoot," Kimberly Munley told the would-be intruders last year.

It was Munley who arrived quickly Thursday at the scene of the worst massacre at an Army base in U.S. history, where 13 people were killed. She confronted the alleged gunman, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, and shot him four times. Munley was wounded in the exchange.

That's just like her, friends and family say.

"I just felt more protected knowing she was on my street," neighbor Erin Houston said.

Munley, the mother of a 3-year-old girl, lives on a street where a lot of homes are vacant because so many residents are deployed at war in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"We sleep a lot safer knowing she's on the block," said Sgt. William Barbrow, another neighbor.

When Bryan Munley heard that his sister-in-law thwarted the alleged gunman in a shootout, he wasn't surprised.

"There's nothing that stands in her way. It completely makes sense that she did what she did," he said from Downingtown, Pennsylvania. "It was amazing. Without her, there would have been a lot more people killed."
    Video: General says officer acted quickly

He added, "She is definitely a tough woman."

Munley, 34, is being treated for her wounds. Her father, former Carolina Beach, North Carolina, Mayor Dennis Barbour, said his daughter is doing well.

"Her efforts were superb," said Col. Steven Braverman, the base hospital commander.

Lt. Gen. Bob Cone, Fort Hood's commanding general, described Munley as a "trained, active first responder" who acted quickly after she "just happened to encounter the gunman."

"Really a pretty amazing and aggressive performance by this police officer," he said.

Cone said Munley and her partner responded "very quickly" to the scene -- reportedly in about three minutes.

On social networking sites, she was lauded for her actions. One Facebook fan page was called "Sgt. Kimberly Munley: A Real American Hero" and had more than 1,400 members.

Twitter list: Keep up with who we're following

"My prayers for a fast recovery as well as my sincere thanks of an outstanding job," one person wrote. One woman added, "U got some brass balls, girl ... u r my hero!!!!"

Authorities say Hasan, an Army psychiatrist, opened fire at a military processing center at Fort Hood on Thursday, killing 13 and wounding 30 others.

Cone was asked on CNN's "American Morning" whether Munley's shots brought down the assailant and stopped him from shooting.

"That's correct," Cone said. "The critical factor here was her quick response to the situation."

Bryan Munley said Munley is married to his brother, Staff Sgt. Matthew Munley. He said Matthew was in Downingtown, outside Philadelphia, visiting his family when the shootings happened. The couple, married since 2006, have a 3-year-old daughter named Jayden.
    She is definitely a tough woman.
    --Bryan Munley

Bryan Munley said Matthew had recently been transferred to Fort Bragg in North Carolina and has done two tours in Iraq. Kimberly was trying to find a job in North Carolina and was hoping to move there soon, Matthew said.

Matthew was at Fort Bragg on Friday, trying to get a flight to Texas to see his wife.

A page on Twitter lists the name "Kim Munley" of Killeen, Texas, near Ford Hood. It has a photo of a female police officer with the name "Kim Munley" on her uniform.

Its bio blurb has particular resonance in the aftermath of the incident.

"I live a good life....a hard one, but I go to sleep peacefully @ night knowing that I may have made a difference in someone's life."

During my time in the military I was in contact with those whom I did not trust to carry a loaded weapon anywhere near my area of operation. I would say that there was/is a plethora of ate up privates,Specialists, new Noncom's and 1 st Lieutenants ..With that said, I still believe the senior NCO's , WO's and Officers should have side arms at all times.
    Last edited by AWDeanSr; November 6th, 2009 at 06:12 PM. Reason: idiot
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Links