Mass Shooting at Ft. Hood Texas Army Base (Merged) - Updated

This is a discussion on Mass Shooting at Ft. Hood Texas Army Base (Merged) - Updated within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; saying a prayer for those lost, this is a sad day for sure....

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Shooting at Ft. Hood Texas Army Base (Merged) - Updated

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    saying a prayer for those lost, this is a sad day for sure.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

2. Remove Ads

Typical cowardice: a surprise attack on victims who were probably unarmed.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Uniform Code of Military Justice

918. ART. 118. MURDER
    Any person subject to this chapter whom without justification or excuse, unlawfully kills a human being, when he- -
    (1) has a premeditated design to kill;
    (2) intends to kill or inflict great bodily harm;
    (3) is engaged in an act which is inherently dangerous to others and evinces a wanton disregard of human life; or
    (4) is engaged in the perpetration or attempted perpetration of burglary, sodomy, rape, robbery, or aggravated arson;
    is guilty of murder, and shall suffer such punishment as a court-martial may direct, except that if found guilty under clause (1) or (4), he shall suffer death or imprisonment for life as a court-martial may direct.
    Applicable in this case if the surviving perps were actually in the military.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberline View Post
    I haven't seen any reliable confirmation that the shooter is muslim.
    ?????
    most of the mass shooters in RECENT months have been. I think it is a reasonable assumption in this day an age.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

We wouldn't wamt to forget the terrorists(home grown) that bombed the federal building in Oklahoma no would we?
    Quote Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post
    Brobar,

No need to get upset and go off in a huff.

There was a mass shooting involving multiple shooters, most mass shooters in the U.S. are motivated for deeply personal reasons and therefore don't play well with others - the one exception being a sociopath with a hero-worshiping sycophant (two if you count Muhammed and Malvo).

Most mass casualty events involving multiple assailants that have occurred in recent years have been at the hands of Muslim extremists.

Ryan

Clearly, even being surrounded by 52000 trained soldiers who can take you out isn't necessarily sufficient to stop a motivated individual who blows a gasket.

AP Wire story -- Thursday, 4:30pm PST:

Army officer opens fire at Fort Hood, killing 12

By APRIL CASTRO and DEVLIN BARRETT, Associated Press Writers April Castro And Devlin Barrett, Associated Press Writers

FORT HOOD, Texas – An Army officer opened fire Thursday with two handguns at the Fort Hood military base in an attack that left 12 people dead and 31 wounded. Authorities killed the gunman and apprehended two other soldiers in what appears to be the worst mass shooting at a U.S. military base.

There was no immediate word on a motive. The shooting began around 1:30 p.m., said Lt. Gen. Bob Cone at Fort Hood. He said all the casualties took place at the base's Soldier Readiness Center, where soldiers who are about to be deployed or who are returning undergo medical screening.

"It's a terrible tragedy. It's stunning," Cone said.

A law enforcement official identified the shooting suspect as Army Maj. Malik Nadal Hasan. The official said Hasan, believed to be in his late 30s, was killed after opening fire at the base. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the case publicly.

A defense official, also speaking on condition of anonymity, said Hasan was a mental health professional — an Army psychologist or psychiatrist. Officials say it was not clear what Hasan's religion was, but investigators are trying to determine if Hasan was his birth name or if he may have changed his name and converted to Islam at some point.

A graduation ceremony for soldiers who finished college courses while deployed was going on nearby at the time of the shooting, said Sgt. Rebekah Lampam, a Fort Hood spokeswoman.

Greg Schanepp, U.S. Rep. John Carter's regional director in Texas, was representing Carter at the graduation, said John Stone, a spokesman for Carter, whose district includes the Army post.

Schanepp was at the ceremony when a soldier who had been shot in the back came running toward him and alerted him of the shooting, Stone said. The soldier told Schanepp not to go in the direction of the shooter, he said.

The base was locked down after the shootings. The wounded were dispersed among hospitals in central Texas, Cone said. Nine were taken to Scott & White Memorial Hospital in Temple. A hospital spokeswoman says all had been shot and are adults. A Fort Hood spokesman said he could not immediately confirm any identities of the injured.

Lisa Pfund of Random Lake, Wis., says her daughter, 19-year-old Amber Bahr, was shot in the stomach but was in stable condition. "We know nothing, just that she was shot in the belly," Pfund told The Associated Press. She couldn't provide more details and only spoke with emergency personnel.

"I ask that all of you keep these families and these individuals in your prayers today," Texas Gov. Rick Perry said.

The shootings on the Texas military base stirred memories of other recent mass shootings in the United States, including 13 dead at a New York immigrant center in March, 10 killed during a gunman's rampage across Alabama in March and 32 killed in the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history at Virginia Tech in 2007.

Around the country, some bases stepped up security precautions, but no others were locked down.

"The bottom line for us is that we are increasing security at our gates because the threat hasn't yet been defined, and we're reminding our Marines to be vigilant in their areas of responsibility," said Capt. Rob Dolan, public affairs officer for the Marine Corps Air Station in Yuma, Ariz.

In Washington, President Barack Obama called the shooting "a horrific outburst of violence." He said it's a tragedy to lose a soldier overseas and even more horrifying when they come under fire at an Army base on American soil.

"We will make sure that we get answers to every single question about this horrible incident," the commander in chief said. "We are going to stay on this."

Covering 339 square miles, Fort Hood is the largest active duty armored post in the United States. Home to about 52,000 troops as of earlier this year, the sprawling base is located halfway between Austin and Waco.

About a mile from Fort Hood's east gate, Cynthia Thomas, director of Under the Hood Cafe, a coffee house and outreach center, was calling soldiers and friends on the post to make sure they're OK.

"It's chaotic," Thomas said, as a SWAT team just drove by. "The phones are jammed. Everybody is calling family members and friends. Soldiers are running around with M-16s."

Fort Hood officially opened on Sept. 18, 1942, and was named in honor of Gen. John Bell Hood. It has been continuously used for armored training and is charged with maintaining readiness for combat missions.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

FOX had....

a claimed cousin of the shooter on. He said Hasan has always been muslim. He was born in Virginia according to the cousin.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

My thoughts and prayers to all those affected by the shooting at Fort Hood.. Fox just reported possible small arms and semi -auto rifle fire used in attack, they have apprehended a third suspect.

Religion of peace...don't piss down my back and say it's raining. Take it however you want!
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

My prayers for the victims and their families.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I normally feel secure when I'm on post. No lunatic civilian with a hidden agenda trying to kill me. My trust has now left me! Unfortunately I can not CCW on a Federal Installation. I'm glad my time remaining till retirement is slowly dwindling down. This is no longer the Army I joined!
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

Anecdotal evidence....

is about, indicating that Hasan believed that MUSLIM persons should resist America's campaigns in Iraq, and Afghanistan, also evidence that he had been attempting for a good while to avoid being deployed. So, if true, he was all for the U.S. picking up the 'tab' for his education for a Doctoral degree, but he had a problem with keeping his end of the bargain. Oh, Yeah, ' Hasan, burn in Muslim HELL. ' If that is too strong, then, 'I hope your 35 virgins are all toothless hags, with arthritis.'
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

wow, this is the fist ive heard of this.i haven't visited the forum in a while and have hardly heard or watched any news or t.v. ill try to find out more about this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

I find two things very interesting about this incident first how wrong the initial reports were it was worse than a game of telephone. Second how sad it is that the military disarms their trained fighting men and make prey out of what is supposed to be predators.
    What is really a shame is that I am sure the military will take the wrong lesson away from this incident and try to get more restrictive rather than less.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    The project company I work for on Holloman AFB is also doing the new housing at Ft Hood. We received a broadcast e-mail over the company internet stating that all of our people there and our subcontractors were in a safe place. I understand how other people feel about not being able to carry on base, or to and from work.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Can I throw some bacon on his corpse?

Hope he finds that the 72 virgins in his version of heaven are all ugly, fat, hairy GUYS.

I guess time will tell if he was a terrorist, or merely a psycho.

Once again, we witness the failure of a "gun free zone."
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Links