Mass Shooting at Ft. Hood Texas Army Base (Merged) - Updated - Page 9

Mass Shooting at Ft. Hood Texas Army Base (Merged) - Updated

This is a discussion on Mass Shooting at Ft. Hood Texas Army Base (Merged) - Updated within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; as for the MPs vs civilian contracted police....... its my understanding from buddies that are/have served recently and been overseas that the AF and Army ...

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    VIP Member
    as for the MPs vs civilian contracted police.......
    its my understanding from buddies that are/have served recently and been overseas that the AF and Army both contract civilian police officers to help supplement security at home on military bases due to so many MPs being deployed overseas
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

3 minute response is 2.98 minutes too long. It is impossible to stop an immediate threat without an immediate response. I'm agreed with Janq, and would add that, until gun free zones are eliminated, we will continue to have these shooting sprees across the country.

gun free zone=mass murder zone
    Last edited by zacii; November 6th, 2009 at 01:11 PM.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I forgot to note above that although Ft. Hood by military policy is itself a no gun zone (NGZ).
    There are very many civilian and public accessible areas among our nation that are NGZ as well.

Military bases aside, which are themselves rare events for such crimes, the concept I am trying to draw here stands.
    People get run up on and harmed if not killed by bad men, and women, daily. Everywhere!

I hear and even see here folk comment that they find on body carry to be a literal pain the side. Others consider carry to be unnecessary but for when going to 'bad' or dangerous areas.
    Some even say that carry everywhere including to places such as weddings, to the gym, while out bicycling or jogging, or even when simply walking through the woods is unnecessary.
    Others figure ehh what do I need a firearm for when Ihave my <fill in the blank brand & length> knife and/or can of OC/CS.

Many persons, who are not member of this site, even go so far as to comment nobody at all needs to carry arms of any sort. As that is what police are for and why we have them around. To 'protect and serve'.

Yeah sure.

Three minutes...

YouTube - IPSC fast shooting = 3:26m
    YouTube - 2008 IDPA Mass States = 3:07m
    YouTube - Cop fight = 2:44m

A very long time when you are fighting against a clock. :|

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Leopard125 View Post
    Wonder how many military secrets he gave away to his "brothers" of his paternal home land?
    Even though many people (including myself) are wondering what the real motive was, I do believe you need to make sure you have the facts straight. "Paternal" makes it seem like he was born in Pakistan. The Major was a born and raised American from Virginia. He used his right as an American to be Muslim, because we do have the right to Freedom of Religion.

With that being said, he is an American Soldier who doesn't seem to agree with what his nation stands for. Its his opinion, but 1) as a member of the Armed Forces is not allowed to publicly display his opinion against his government and 2) he OBVIOUSLY took his opinion too far.
    Just remember: When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

God's blessings upon the Sergeant and her training officers!
    She obviously learned well and performed superbly under stress!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

VIP Member

Fort Hood victims being honored by Congress

HAPPENING NOW: Fort Hood victims being honored by Congress - Roanoke.com

HAPPENING NOW: Fort Hood victims being honored by Congress
    The Roanoke Times

Posted: 7:53 a.m. | UPDATED: 12:25 p.m.

Today, the U.S. House of Representatives will adopt House Resolution 895, a resolution honoring Fort Hood soldiers and their families in the wake of Thursday's tragic shooting.

At the request of Rep. John Carter, R-Round Rock, who is the lead sponsor of the resolution and has traveled to Fort Hood today, Rep. Chet Edwards, D-Waco, will lead the House proceedings. Edwards represented Fort Hood through three combat deployments from 1991 to 2004.

Secretary of the Army John McHugh and Army Chief of Staff Gen. George W. Casey, Jr. will hold a press conference on Fort Hood at 1:30 p.m. today. The press event will be proceeded by an Army-wide moment of silence in honor of the Fort Hood victims, family members and loved ones.

-- Killeen (Texas) Daily Herald
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

More Background

Suspected Fort Hood shooter Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan: Social awkwardness kept with him into adulthood - Roanoke.com

Suspected Fort Hood shooter Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan: Social awkwardness kept with him into adulthood
    The suspect, a Virginia Tech graduate and one-time Vinton resident, was shot but survived at Fort Hood, Texas.
    By Matt Chittum and Jorge Valencia
    The Roanoke Times

Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, the Army psychiatrist accused of shooting 12 people to death and wounding 31 others at Fort Hood, Texas, on Thursday, was the son of Roanoke merchants and restaurateurs, lived in Vinton and graduated from Virginia Tech.

Hasan was born in Arlington to Palestinian immigrants from near Jerusalem who later settled in Vinton.

Neighbors on Vinton's Ramada Road remembered him as a "studious" boy who went by "Michael."

While his brother Eyad -- "Eddie" -- would play football with Zachary Garlick, 21, who lived across the street, Michael didn't come out to play much.

"Michael was more school and less play," said Zachary Garlick. "He'd get home and he'd have his book bag, and he'd go straight inside."

That quiet demeanor and apparent social awkwardness would follow Hasan into adulthood.

Hasan's family settled in an apartment on Lancelot Lane off Cove Road in Northwest Roanoke, the 1987 Roanoke City Directory shows.

Hasan's father, Malik Awadallah Hasan, immigrated from Palestine to Virginia in 1962, when he was 16, stories in the Times' archives show. He moved to Roanoke in 1985, with his wife, Hanan Ismail "Nora" Hasan, following in 1986. Neighbors on Ramada Road said they moved to the Vinton neighborhood in the early 1990s.

The Hasans ran the infamous Capitol Restaurant on the Roanoke City Market from 1987 to 1995. It was a dive beer hall and diner with a bad reputation and a lot of down-and-out regulars. The Hasans closed the Capitol to open the short-lived, Mediterranean-themed Mount Olive on Jefferson Street.

The Hasans also owned the Community Grocery Store on Elm Avenue in Roanoke.

Shabo Karkenny bought the Elm Avenue property from the Hasan family, including Nidal and his brothers, Eyad and Anas, in 2006.

Karkenny said Thursday he met Nidal Hasan once, when he came into the store earlier this year and the two chatted briefly.

Karkenny said he was surprised to see the same man's picture on the news Thursday, identified as the suspect in the Texas shootings.

Hasan's father died in 1998. Neighbors on Ramada Road said he died of a heart attack in the house. Hasan's mother died three years later. Neighbors said she had kidney disease.

The Garlicks said Nidal Hasan went to Virginia Western, and The Roanoke Times archives show he graduated from Virginia Tech in 1995.

He went on to the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences' F. Edward Hebert School of Medicine in Bethesda, Md., where he finished in 2003. He did his residency at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C., through 2007.

He was also a fellow at the Center for the Study of Traumatic Stress at the Bethesda military medical school, where he was a fellow in disaster and preventive psychiatry.

The Associated Press reported he commissioned in the Army as a captain and was promoted to major in May.

Virginia Tech, however, had no record of Hasan's participation in its Corps of Cadets or ROTC program. The Washington Post reported he enlisted in the Army after high school.

"His parents didn't want him to go into the military," said Nader Hasan, a cousin in Northern Virginia. "He said, 'No, I was born and raised here, I'm going to do my duty to the country.' "

"He would tell us the military was his life," Hasan's aunt, Noel Hasan of Falls Church, told the Post. He "did not make many friends."

He was unmarried and had no children. Colleagues at Walter Reed reported he shied away from contact with women.

He remained a devout Muslim, praying daily at the Muslim Community Center in Silver Spring, Md., sometimes arriving in his Army fatigues.

Since Sept. 11, 2001, the aunt said, he had been harassed about his Muslim faith and sought to be discharged from the military.

He went as far as retaining a lawyer to see if he could get out of the Army before his contract was up, The Associated Press reported.

While an intern at Walter Reed, Hasan had some "difficulties" that required counseling and extra supervision, said Dr. Thomas Grieger, who was the training director at the time.

Grieger told The Associated Press that privacy laws prevented him from going into details but noted that the problems had to do with Hasan's interactions with patients. He recalled Hasan as a "mostly very quiet" person who never spoke ill of the military or his country.

Others reported Hasan was plain-spoken about his opposition to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

He told a former Army colleague, Col. Terry Lee, "Muslims should stand up and fight against the aggressor," Lee told Fox News.

Hasan was also deeply distressed by his impending deployment to Iraq or Afghanistan, family members said.

While he worked to aid people scarred by war, that work in turn scarred Hasan.

"He must have snapped," Noel Hasan said. "They ignored him. It was not hard to know when he was upset. He was not a fighter, even as a child and young man. But when he became upset, his face turns red. You can read him in his face."

Staff writers Tonia Moxley and Amanda Codispoti, news researcher Belinda Harris, online producer Jordan Fifer, The Washington Post and The Associated Press contributed information to this story.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post

From her Twitter feed biography:

# Bio I live a good life....a hard one, but I go to sleep peacefully @ night knowing that I may have made a difference in someone's life.

The right woman at the right time. Thank God she was there.

Lead Moderator
    Several religious comments have been removed. Keep on topic or the thread gets locked and infractions issued.
    DefensiveCarry.com Rules

The DefensiveCarry.com forums have grown tremendously and we thank all of you for being part of this community committed to concealed weapons carry.

In order to keep the forums running well and to prevent problems, I hope each of you will take a minute and read "Our Rules" here or under the link in the blue navigation bar above. The rules are meant to reduce the amount of discord that is present in so many other forums and detracts from the purpose and value of the forum itself. This forum was created to be a resource for those of us that legally carry a concealed weapon and, where required, have obtained a concealed carry permit.

Every member is expected to follow the forum rules to participate. You agreed to them to become a member. Where they are open to interpretation, the forum Administrator and/or Moderators will make the interpretation. If there are any questions regarding these rules, please feel free to contact any of the forum staff.

General Rules:

9. We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of certain subjects (politics, religion, abortion, sexual orientation, etc) often degenerate quickly. For this reason, we prohibit these subjects in our discussions. We also discourage "caliber wars" and the virtues of "open carry" topic; strongly encouraging you to take these discussions to other forums where these topics are the focus.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I was wondering how long it was gonna take for someone to step in.

Thank you!!!

The first casualty in any war is TRUTH. Today the TRUTH doesn't even get to be a casualty, it's censored as hate speech. IF there is a future for our country, it will be nothing like you have ever known it to be, or ever would have imagined it to be. Today, the only thing that remains the same in the America that I grew up in is it's name, America.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by brobar View Post
    To those of you quickly raising the question of why not arm our military men & women while on base (and I'm not disagreeing with you here... just asking)... what do we do to separate the wheat from the chaff? OBVIOUSLY there are people who are so adamant about not being deployed (for their 2nd, 3rd, 4th or even in this instance their 1st tour). We've got thousands upon thousands of men and women returning home from war with post traumatic stress disorder. It is unfortunate... but I'm sure some of you know probably first hand that war can really mess an individual up in the head. Now I know you guys aren't saying specifically to arm THESE individuals... but you've got a group of people who are put through unbelievable stresses that a few of us may understand but many of us may not... is it ok for these individuals sometimes severely scarred, disturbed and sometimes messed up because of the war or the thought of going to war... are we to allow all these people to be walking around, what are supposed to be safe and secure installations, with firearms?

I'm not saying our men & women should not be able to protect themselves while on base so don't even try and go there. Actually I'm all for that! But I'm an analyst by nature and one of the things I wonder about is how people would handle those traumatized by war, the thought of war, or severely messed up because of what they experienced during war all having firearms walking around on our military installations nationwide?
    (not diredted at any member that is a vet or currently serving in the armed forces)ok i tryed to read past this post but i couldnt am sorry to the poster of this message for the comment i make :
    As being a soldier currently in iraq on my (2nd) tour and having PTSD AND being a CCWer i am truley offended by this comment WE are not (messed)*edited* up in the head we are dealing with things that are beyonded any civilan comprehention LEO's would understand and i hoped that CCWer would also understand what we see and the friends we have lost ,You know what arm the guy and girls with guns i can still fight for my country but your saying am to messed up to defend my brothers and sisters at home!!!!LIKE WE DO OVERSEAS............when i first joined this fourm i thought thank god true people who wont judge us for the things that some of us live with everyday or those of us in iraq and afgan horrorified about what happened at fort hood........... i think i need to just step away from this for a min. its 2300hrs here and i think am just worn out sorry again everyone but i couldn't not say something .<----thought it fit there
    S&W M&P 45c sold
    HK USPc 45 sold
    Glock 36M CC

Quote Originally Posted by Damion View Post
    (not diredted at any member that is a vet or currently serving in the armed forces)ok i tryed to read past this post but i couldnt am sorry to the poster of this message for the comment i make :
    As being a soldier currently in iraq on my (2nd) tour and having PTSD AND being a CCWer i am truley offended by this comment WE are not (messed)*edited* up in the head we are dealing with things that are beyonded any civilan comprehention LEO's would understand and i hoped that CCWer would also understand what we see and the friends we have lost ,You know what arm the guy and girls with guns i can still fight for my country but your saying am to messed up to defend my brothers and sisters at home!!!!LIKE WE DO OVERSEAS............when i first joined this fourm i thought thank god true people who wont judge us for the things that some of us live with everyday or those of us in iraq and afgan horrorified about what happened at fort hood........... i think i need to just step away from this for a min. its 2300hrs here and i think am just worn out sorry again everyone but i couldn't not say something .<----thought it fit there
    I'm a vet myself (who has never seen combat) and have several friends AND family members who have served and experienced PTSD. I've got a friend who lives right down the street with Gulf War syndrome. He admits himself that he is "messed up" for what he experienced. He doesn't try and hide it or sugar coat it. With the thoughts of suicide and the myriad of other thoughts he has had since returning home... he was of the mind to give his firearms to family members outside of his househould because he wasn't sure what he would do. Regardless of how "messed up" he thinks he is... he was at least of sound enough mind to know that he could be a harm to himself or someone else so he did the right thing and took a dangerous variable outside of the equation.

SO... I'm sorry if you took offense to the term that some of your own are using. I don't know how to word it without it being offensive to somebody now... but some people who are distrubed, have PTSD, gulf war syndrome, something just isn't right for whatever reason that I and others in the general populous just can't understand (I hope that isn't offensive)... know that they can be a threat to themselves and others. This isn't all inclusive and obviously it isn't including YOU.

But back to the topic... since we can't expect everyone out there to do what my neighbor did and realize a potential problem before it escalated into a problem... do we trust that everyone else would do the same or is there some how to evaluate if *SOME* people are stable enough to be armed 24/7 while on base? Or do people even care and that is a chance they are willing to take?

I'm sorry you found that offensive... I just figured it was a legit question that if I didn't ask someone else would.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brobar View Post
    I'm sorry you found that offensive... I just figured it was a legit question that if I didn't ask someone else would.
    FWIIW I too found it offensive.

As I have posted in other post all the arguments for not carrying in gun shops/ gun shows are exactly the same as those the hoplophobic use for restricting carry in the crazy patchwork quilt of no guns in/on/at "X" -- e.g., airport parking lots, airport terminals, any public building, any venue that charges admission, bars, buses, churches, colleges, concerts, funeral, libraries, parades, parks, protest, public gathering, road side rest areas, schools, sport events, stadiums, trains, to name a few.

However, there is no evidence that there is any higher rate of gun related problems in State "a", which allows legal carry in one of these places/events than there is in State "b", which denies legal carry in one of these places/events.

In addition, those States which have the most of this "but not here" restrictions nonsense are the ones where the antis have lost the battle to ban out right or extremely restrict carry and now they are fighting a rear guard action to make it as logistically hard as they can for us to avoid run afoul of the law.

I should have added on military bases, federal work places, etc. My only excuse is that I was too focused on the State "a", vs. State "b" proof. I had missed the stateside vs. in combat zones. As Damion said to "defend my brothers and sisters at home!!!!LIKE WE DO OVERSEAS.."

BTW -- this issues is running at http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...fort-hood.html
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Links