Shooting Reported at Orlando High Rise

This is a discussion on Shooting Reported at Orlando High Rise within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; LINK Firefighters and police responded to a reported shooting Friday at a high-rise building in Orlando, Florida. Authorities received a report shortly before noon of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Reported at Orlando High Rise

LINK

Firefighters and police responded to a reported shooting Friday at a high-rise building in Orlando, Florida.

Authorities received a report shortly before noon of a shooting on an upper floor of the office building, said John Tormos of the Orlando Fire Department.

CNN affiliate WESH reported that at least eight people were shot at the Gateway Center -- a 16-story building.

Police cars and emergency vehicles surrounded the area, video showed. It also showed people fleeing.

LINK

DEVELOPING: At least two people were killed and eight injured in a shooting Friday at an office building in Orlando, MyFoxOrlando.com reported.

People are streaming out of an office building in downtown Orlando where officials say a shooter is on the loose.

Orange County Sheriff's Spokesman Jim Solomons says his department is backing up Orlando police and they're still looking for an armed man wearing a light blue polo shirt and jeans.

The Legions Place office building in downtown Orlando was ordered on lockdown Friday afternoon as officers began a floor-by-floor evacuation.

The Orlando Fire Department tells WESH-TV that at least eight people are injured. Interstate 4 is closed in both directions through downtown and a nearby school is locked down.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    People have gone insane. And the more they do, the more we need our own protection. Unfortunately the anti's will say it's all the more reason we shouldn't be allowed to have defensive arms.

I feel for the victims.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

[QUOTE=Arko;1362429]People have gone insane. And the more they do, the more we need our own protection. Unfortunately the anti's will say it's all the more reason we shouldn't be allowed to have defensive arms.

I feel for the victims.[/QUOTE

Just like the anti's in Enemies Foreign and Domestic by Matthew Bracken.
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

Man, what is going on? Fort Hood and now this.

I
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by brobar View Post
    Orlando police and they're still looking for an armed man wearing a light blue polo shirt and jeans.
    I love politically correct descriptions.
    Is he tall, short, white, black, hispanic, wearing a turban, what?

Quote Originally Posted by brobar View Post
    Interstate 4 is closed in both directions through downtown
    I'll bet that is a mess. I-4 is the main road through Florida in that area.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    People have gone insane.
    I know! My wife and I were talking about the Ft Hood incident last night. We're both young, she's 23 and I'm 26, but neither of us really can remember stuff like this happening when we were younger. Did it not happen, or were we just not aware of it?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I love politically correct descriptions.
    Is he tall, short, white, black, hispanic, wearing a turban, what?

I'll bet that is a mess. I-4 is the main road through Florida in that area.
    I-4 doesn't need any help being a mess it does that all on its own because of the stupid drivers that plague any road, they just seem to become even more stupid on I4.

They caught the guy, alive, or at least thats what the local news reported here a while ago. They caught him only a few miles from me if i heard the news correctly...people are just out of their minds. Its stuff like this that makes me hold onto my guns regardless of the sheeple say. At least we have the death penalty here in florida so maybe after he rots on death row for 20 years we'll finally fry him

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    I know! My wife and I were talking about the Ft Hood incident last night. We're both young, she's 23 and I'm 26, but neither of us really can remember stuff like this happening when we were younger. Did it not happen, or were we just not aware of it?
    it happened when we were younger. if you're like me probably didn't pay much attention. Sadly it did happen. Maybe now a days it gets more media attention or something but columbine was what 10 years ago now? I was only 14 then if thats when it happened

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    It has been happening a lot more in recent years. They were always there, just in far fewer numbers. I can recall the famous McDonalds shootings many years ago, some psycho went nuts with a rifle and killed a bunch of innocent people. But that was the only one like it for years.

Then Columbine happened, and since then a slow build up of these things has been going on. A little more each year, here and there a few more and a few more.......

It seems that since the VT shootings, and since the economy went bad they are happening way too often. There was a stretch there for a while that seemed to culminate and peak at the Binghamton shootings. It seemed like another killing every day. One family massacre after another, every week we are seeing another....It is insane.....

Now an Army base of all things.

There is no doubt that this stuff is escalating at a more rapid rate than any time in our lifetimes. Maybe its the bad economy, maybe its the extended war, maybe its the fact that it seems EVERYONE is one a half dozen prescription medications "approved" for us to drink like water.....maybe its a sociological evolution.... I don't think anyone knows for sure.

No matter the cause, the world is NOT getting any safer......

Guys, this hits WAY too close to home. My sister in law works for the competing engineering firm. Her office is a couple of blocks away. My wife called as soon as she found out and her sister was unaware of what was going on. But get this. At 10:30 am she got 2 calls while on another business call. When she checked her messages she got one that was inaudible. The second message said, "You will not live to see Monday." Yikes!! The shooting started at 11:00 am. She knows a couple of folks over there, but not this guy. To make it worse we found out he lives a couple of blocks from her too.

My wife has offered my services if she wants to arm herself. I'm not close enough to be much help. If I need help finding a range I'll be asking here. Thoughts and prayers are with the victims.

It is more realistic than anytime in history...

Stay armed...any time, any place...really ...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    It is more realistic than anytime in history...

Stay armed...any time, any place...really ...stay safe!

X2!

Update but still no valuable intel.

A gunman killed one and injured five, police said, in a shooting Friday at the Orlando offices of an engineering firm where the suspect was let go more than two years ago.

The shooting set off an intense manhunt Friday afternoon until the alleged gunman, Jason Rodriguez, 40, was arrested without incident at his mother's Florida apartment building, police said.

He has been charged with first-degree murder.

Asked by a reporter outside the police station why he did it, Rodriguez said: "Because they left me to rot," The Associated Press reported.

The five wounded were taken to the emergency department at Orlando Regional Medical Center, Orlando Police Chief Val Demings said. Another person suffered chest pains related to the incident.

SLIDESHOW: Orlando Office Shooting

"This is a tragedy no doubt about it, especially on the heels of the tragedy in Fort Hood that is on our minds," Demings said. "I'm just glad we don't have any more fatalities or any more injuries than we currently have."

Demings said the weapon used was a handgun.

The shooting started at Reynolds, Smith & Hills, a transportation engineering consulting firm where Rodriguez was laid off in 2007. The firm is located in the Gateway office building in downtown Orlando, and the shooting occurred on the 4th, 8th and 12th floors of the building, MyFoxOrlando.com reported.

Renato Gonzalez, a manager in the firm's DeLand, Fla., office, told Fox News that Rodriguez had done architectural work for the company and his layoff was part of cutbacks at the firm.

"I know that we was not very happy with the layoff," said Gonzalez.

Gonzalez recalled that Rodriguez made disgruntled comments when he left the firm, though nothing that indicated he would resort violence.
    Related Stories

* Orlando Office Shooting Suspect Profile: Jason Rodriguez

Company spokesman Mike Bernos said Rodriguez was fired after working at the company for a year.

"His performance wasn't up to our standards, so we terminated him," Bernos said.

There had been no contact between the company and Rodriguez since then.

Rodriguez started struggling financially after being fired from Reynolds, Smith & Hills.

He recently told a bankruptcy judge he was making under $30,000 a year at a Subway sandwich shop and owed nearly $90,000.

Les Winograd, a spokesman for Subway Restaurants, said Rodriguez had worked for one of the company's sandwich shops in the Orlando area until six weeks ago. He would not say whether Rodriguez had left or was fired.

Rodriguez's former mother-in-law told Fox News over the phone that Rodriguez was on medication that affected his mind. She said he acted paranoid, thinking people were out to get him.

"He would imagine things sometimes," his former mother-in-law said. "From what I understand they had him in a mental institution six months ago."

Her daughter had a son with Rodriguez. The former mother-in-law said her daughter was scared of Rodriguez sometimes.

Gerry Gilgo, who works on the floor where the shooting occurred, told The Associated Press she was meeting a co-worker at the elevators for lunch.

"She yelled, 'There are gunshots! There are gunshots! Get back in your office,"' Gilgo said.

Will Halpern, an attorney works on the building's 17th floor, was among the last group to be evacuated. He said the lobby was filled with about 20 officers in SWAT gear, carrying assault weapons, ready to search.

During the manhunt for Rodriguez, Interstate 4 was closed in both directions through downtown and nearby schools were put on lock down.

The FBI is assisting police in their investigation. Police said they do not know the motive behind the shootings.
    Thank god he was not a CCW permit holder.

2 years after employment termination, and this is his solution???

The anti's are eating this up like cake. "Mental institution, meds..."

Next thing you know they will make involuntary termination from employment grounds for denial of a permit/firearm ownership.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Our company has a no weapons policy. We are in the process of working through the courts regarding an unstable individual which we had to terminate during the summer. I know my boss carries in his briefcase for protection and I'm wondering if I should also. The guy didn't work in my department, but he has shown violent tendencies.

Don't remember? Mass Murder,, in Killean Tex at Lubys Resturant,, Mass Killing at McDonalds in Californina? Its there and getting worse by the day. Virgina Tech, Colonbine any of those ring a bell, for self protection??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links