DA: Woman Shooter Killed 2 In Self Defense - 2 Men Die, 1 May Be Charged

This is a discussion on DA: Woman Shooter Killed 2 In Self Defense - 2 Men Die, 1 May Be Charged within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; September 20, 2003 MADISON -- The Dane County district attorney has decided not to charge a woman in the shooting deaths of two men Friday ...

Thread: DA: Woman Shooter Killed 2 In Self Defense - 2 Men Die, 1 May Be Charged

DC Founder

DA: Woman Shooter Killed 2 In Self Defense - 2 Men Die, 1 May Be Charged

September 20, 2003

MADISON -- The Dane County district attorney has decided not to charge a woman in the shooting deaths of two men Friday night.

Witnesses heard six shots fired in a woman\'s northeast-side home shortly after 10:30 p.m. Friday night. Two men were killed by a woman who said she was protecting herself from them. Dade District Attorney Brian Blanchard has decided not to charge the woman.

\"I\'ve been briefed by the police and from everything I understand at this point, there will be no criminal liability for who fired the fatal shots because of the circumstances -- namely an armed home invasion,\" Blanchard revealed.

Police are not willing to identify the woman at this time.

The tearful mother of one of the dead men showed up at the scene of the shooting Saturday afternoon in search of answers. Outside the northside apartment where her 19-year-old son lost his life, Louveena Sargant told reporters her child was not a home invader.

\"My son came here several times, and I\'m not going to lie -- it\'s to sell drugs,\" she said. \"It wasn\'t like he came here and he didn\'t know who the people were.\"

Police tell News 3 it was her son, Sedric Sargant, and an accomplice, Kenneth Robinson, 22, who barged their way into the 22-year-old woman\'s home.

The woman\'s criminal history shows a recent arrest for marijuana possession, police said.

\"I didn\'t hear anything, but she says she heard shots,\" said neighbor Chris Mees. \"We came out to look, and there was already cops here.\"

As word spreads about the woman shooter and the fact that the district attorney will not charge her, there is support in the neighborhood for the decision.

\"If someone broke into my home -- and I\'ve got a 1-year-old -- we have guns and I\'m not asking questions. No time for that,\" one neighbor said.

\"You are entitled to respond to real threats with real force,\" Blanchard explained. \"You can\'t shoot simply because they\'re on your property or are even stealing from you. You have to be in danger.\"

Police now have another suspect, and prosecutors are considering murder charges even though that person didn\'t pull the trigger or even go inside the woman\'s home.

That third suspect who escaped and was with the two dead men and could be on the hook for two murders.

Blanchard is likening this case to one from 1989.

In that case, two men entered a house in Monona. Another man waited outside. The owner used his shotgun to kill the intruders. The getaway driver, James Oimen, fled the scene. He shot no one but he was convicted of homicide and sentenced to 24 years in prison.

His conviction was upheld in the Supreme Court five years later. Preliminarily, Blanchard says he\'s looking at that type charge in this case.

Investigators will now have to figure out if the third suspect knew the intentions of the now two dead men before they all went inside the home. If so, he could be charged with felony murder.

2. Remove Ads

Links