Police Chief: 'Cops Should Use Deadly Force' South Africa

This is a discussion on Police Chief: 'Cops Should Use Deadly Force' South Africa within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; South Africa Police Should Use Deadly Force Says New Police Commissioner Bheki Cele | World News | Sky News South Africa's chief of police has ...

Thread: Police Chief: 'Cops Should Use Deadly Force' South Africa

Thumbs up Police Chief: 'Cops Should Use Deadly Force' South Africa

South Africa Police Should Use Deadly Force Says New Police Commissioner Bheki Cele | World News | Sky News

South Africa's chief of police has told Sky News that his officers should kill criminals if they are under attack.

Armed South Africa police patrol streets of Johannesburg

The country has one of the worst crime rates in the world and Bheki Cele says the time has come to do something about it.

"There's no way that you can be soft and diplomatic on criminals," he said. "We are taking them on at their own game."

Mr Cele is South Africa's new police commissioner and he has declared war on the country's criminals.

He is telling his officers they should use the law to protect themselves and he wants it beefed up so they do not hesitate to pull the trigger for fear of repurcussions later on.

He said: "In law if the officer is under threat, if his or her life is threatened or the life of any citizen is threatened you must use deadly force. That's the law.

We are simply saying we are not going to train police for graves when we have the equipment and the law on our side.

Police commissioner Bheki Cele

"That's what we want our officers to do. What we are looking at is to amend it to say police that are using deadly force should not be responsible to carry the sin of doing that.

"They must be protected by the government.

"It looks like criminals feel they own the space. They can't own the space.

"The space must be owned by the law-abiding citizens of this country and they must feel the country belongs to them. This country is for those that are law-abiding.

"The criminals' plan is to eliminate whoever is in their way.

"We are saying members of the security agenices in South Africa should not be eliminated.

"If that's the only language they understand we'll respond in the same language. Anybody who does not use that deadly force when under threat I have an issue with."

Mr Cele went on: "I'm not going to question the police: 'Why did you shoot as you came to the place where people are carrying guns and committing crime?'.

"Because if it's not them defending themselves and killing supposedly a criminal, they are going to die.

"We are simply saying we are not going to train police for graves when we have the equipment and the law on our side.

"I'm simply saying if they shoot you using cameras, please my officers, smile.

"But if they shoot you using guns, please make sure that you shoot back and shoot decisively."

Even South Africa's President Jacob Zuma has admitted crime in the country is out of control.

On average there are 50 murders every day.

The latest crime figures show business robberies are up 41% and house robberies up 27%.

The police commissioner says South Africans should no longer live in fear of being violently attacked in their own homes or in their cars.

I wonder how long it will be before the bleeding heart liberals condemn this???

Tint Bob (UK)

2. Remove Ads

Everyone's all hyped for the cops to use lethal force...

Right up until politics change and you end up the target...

South Africa's crime rate is indeed out of control. It's just such a sad day when there are at least armed police, and they're not even allowed to use their weapons. Very sad. Maybe it will change? Who knows, but I wish the same attitude was extended as completely to law-abiding citizens as well. For now, it still sounds like the police are supposedly supposed to protect each and every citizen while unable to even protect themselves.

The citizens of SA need the right to be armed and the Castle Doctrine as we have it here in Texas. Arm the people and let them help the police to defend themselves and family and friends and property.

Once you start thinning out the bad guys things get better in a hurry.

Some simple law changes and some SA manufactured inexpensive handguns on the market to the citizens and life would be different.

By the way if the police would train the honest citizens to handle firearms in defense of their lives and homes relations could be built and communities become safe from all this crime.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Arm the people and let them help the police to defend themselves and family and friends and property.
    This.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Links