And another "Trick?" "Here's your treat!"

This is a discussion on And another "Trick?" "Here's your treat!" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; strangers nab halloween robbery suspect | wavy.com | virginia beach Scarecrow with a heart saves the day Updated: Thursday, 05 Nov 2009, 8:13 AM EST ...

Thread: And another "Trick?" "Here's your treat!"

VIP Member

And another "Trick?" "Here's your treat!"

strangers nab halloween robbery suspect | wavy.com | virginia beach

Scarecrow with a heart saves the day
    Updated: Thursday, 05 Nov 2009, 8:13 AM EST
    Published : Wednesday, 04 Nov 2009, 4:53 PM EST

Jason Marks
    VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - They were having a Halloween party in the right place at the right time. Virginia Beach police told WAVY.com several costumed revelers saved a robbery victim.

A stuffed scarecrow leans against a wall at the Willow Lake apartment complex in Virginia Beach, with a smirk stretched across its face. The smile could be joy for a fellow scarecrow; one people are calling a hero.

"I think I was doing the right thing," Samuel Ramos said.

The scarecrow costume Ramos was wearing Saturday night has long been removed, but the lasting memory from the holiday has not.

"We were doing a barbeque," Ramos added. "Me and my friends saw this guy running."

Ramos was standing outside on the porch. As the man darted by, a woman ran behind him.

"He just robbed this lady at gunpoint," Ramos said. "So right there I started running too."

Ramos' sprint took him past a giant lake and unsuspecting ducks. He was chasing the suspect and gaining ground.

"I kept chasing him and so he jumped the fence," Ramos added. "I didn't jump the fence because of my Halloween costume."

Police say the scarecrow soon cornered the suspect on the next block. What the suspect didn't know was this scarecrow was also carrying a gun. Ramos, a sailor stationed on the USS Kearsarge, has a concealed weapons permit.

"I went with my gun and I said 'hey man drop it,'" Ramos yelled at the suspect. "I told him give me your gun and I'll let you go."

Police say Edward Morris handed over his gun to Ramos. The trick was a treat for police. Ramos held Morris until police arrived.

"I was thinking if I let him go right now maybe he can do the same thing later to somebody else," Ramos added.

Police recovered the victim's purse and returned it to her.

22-year-old Edward Morris of Chesapeake is charged with Robbery and Use of a Firearm in the Commission of a Felony. He is being held in the Virginia Beach Correctional Facility without bond.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Haha, neat. I wish I could come up with a clever pun for being chased down by a scarecrow though. I know there is a joke in there somewhere.

- Strawman
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

No following the yellow brick road for a criminal detained by scarecrow until police arrive.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I am glad the story turned out well and BG was caught, but it was risky at best. Especially given that he did not see the original incident and didn't know all the facts.

Personally, I am not in the habit of chasing armed bad guys... I suppose that makes me a non chivalrous, but very much alive person.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

A scarecrow chasing me would scare the "DUK pate" right outta me,not to mention an armed scarecrow
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

That scarecrow HAD a brain. That's the best I got.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    the wizard of oz can keep his magic.... the scarecrow is packin' heat!

good thing the BG didn't shoot
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Seems to me that he took an enormous chance in chasing an armed purse snatcher...but I'm glad it ended with the dirtbag preparing for a long vacation.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Personally, I am not in the habit of chasing armed bad guys... I suppose that makes me a non chivalrous, but very much alive person.
    Yup, and out of jail as well. I'm with ya on that one.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Seems to me that he took an enormous chance in chasing an armed purse snatcher...but I'm glad it ended with the dirtbag preparing for a long vacation.
    Dtto: She (the victom)should have had her own heat, providing it wasn't in her purse. Maybe she will become a believer in protecting her self.
    Randy
    Law Enforcement Armorer
    NRA
    GOA
    Range Officer
    Advice is seldom welcome; and those who want it the most always like it the least.

Links