Robber opens fire on Syracuse police

This is a discussion on Robber opens fire on Syracuse police within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Syracuse, NY continues to pad its reputation and the "New-Newark" of the north east US...... After robbing a local store this guy then went busting ...

Thread: Robber opens fire on Syracuse police

Syracuse, NY continues to pad its reputation and the "New-Newark" of the north east US......

After robbing a local store this guy then went busting into a local apartment, pistol whipped a few people and took over their apartments to have a standoff with police. In the end the police returned fire and killed the gunman.

Police identify gunman killed in shootout : News : WSTM NBC3

SYRACUSE -- The man shot and killed in a standoff with Syracuse Police has a record of 25 prior arrests, and had been paroled after doing time on drug charges on October 15th. Police Chief Gary Miguel says 32 year old Charles Jennings was living at 429 Wilkinson Street, just a block from the home invasion and shootout, and that he'd been arrested in the past for robbery, weapons charges and drugs.

Police say that on Sunday night, Jennings broke into an upstairs apartment on North Geddes Street, and pistol whipped three residents--Yemeni natives--in a search for money. Two of the men managed to get to the back apartment, where relatives called 9 - 1 - 1. Police got to the block about 10pm , saw the suspect with a handgun, and gunfire was exchanged. A short time later as the suspect was trying to get away, there was another exchange of gunfire.

As a command post was set up at the nearby Hess Gas Station and swat teams were brought in, six of the people from the apartment were able to get out: a Sheriff Department armored personnel vehicle was brought in to help them get away--they were taken out in handcuffs, which is standard procedure, says Chief Miguel, until the incident was sorted out
    The resident who had hidden in the apartment heard police bullhorn messages to the gunman, apparently went out and saw him, slumped in the stairwell, and called police, who at about 3am went into the building and found him dead, with several gunshot wounds. Jennings' body was brought out about 7:30am, and investigators have spent the day in the block between Wilkinson and Richmond, recreating the incident and looking for spent bullets.

They say Jennings had a .357 magnum with 5 spent rounds. Chief Miguel says 3 officers were shooting, and 15 to 20 rounds were fired. No officers were injured, and Miguel says the pistol-whipped victims injuries are also minor. He also says the quick police response probably saved the life of the hostage who remained in the apartment.

Neighbors had been notified by 911 to stay in homes, and police notified some to evacuate, though at least one neighbor claims she never got notified until well after the shooting. Miguel says the first priority was to secure the crime scene and to ensure police safety.

As the investigation continues, the police action will be turned over to a grand jury for review, and how the whole incident was handled will also be reviewed by the Syracuse Police, Onondaga Sheriffs, and other supporting agencies.

What a nightmare, but with a happy ending...a dead dirtbag gunman.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    That is in part why I left CNY and the Syracuse area. We have a friend there who is a cop, and we worry about her alot.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

25 prior arrest and out on parole now dead from his own actions of robbery and shooting at police. He should of never been out of lock up, but at least he will not cost tax payers any more money.

There are some judges that give a slap on the wrist to career criminals.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Central NY is a prison revolving door.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    That is in part why I left CNY and the Syracuse area. We have a friend there who is a cop, and we worry about her alot.
    I seem to recall I stopped off there on the way to Niagara Falls....1997/1998??
    Went out a got pizza etc...Did not seem too bad then

Has it gone downhill or was I incredibly naive and lucky??

Tint Bob (UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Tint Bob View Post

Tint Bob (UK)
    Probably lucky. Was the pizza any good?

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Probably lucky. Was the pizza any good?
    Yes !!!!
    We were into Pizza The Hut then.......You guys had a14" pizza
    we did not have pizza that big in the UK.....Sat in the hot tub with a bottle of Champagne given to me by the girls on United for hitting my knee during service

I then knew what the American Dream was all about

Tint Bob (UK)

Tint Bob (UK)
    A little of both. Like anywhere, it depend on where you go, and the time of day. Syracuse used to be a vibrant city, but has been in decline since the manufacturing decline years ago. It's decline in population and industry just accelerated over the past few years. There are also several prisons there, that attract settling families of the incarcerated, who are frequently of a similar ilk, and more often than not on NY's ever growing public assistance.

Yes !!!!
    We were into Pizza The Hut then.......You guys had a14" pizza
    we did not have pizza that big in the UK.....Sat in the hot tub with a bottle of Champagne given to me by the girls on United for hitting my knee during service

I then knew what the American Dream was all about

Tint Bob (UK)
    If you think Pizza Hut is real pizza you missed one of the few regional specialties CNY offers! The local places all have pizza unmatched anywhere else. I DO miss that.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

The best pizza comes from places that don't have "Pizza" in the name, but some family's last name.

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    A little of both. Like anywhere, it depend on where you go, and the time of day. Syracuse used to be a vibrant city, but has been in decline since the manufacturing decline years ago. It's decline in population and industry just accelerated over the past few years. There are also several prisons there, that attract settling families of the incarcerated, who are frequently of a similar ilk, and more often than not on NY's ever growing public assistance.

If you think Pizza Hut is real pizza you missed one of the few regional specialties CNY offers! The local places all have pizza unmatched anywhere else. I DO miss that.
    I moved from NJ to Central NY in 2002. I was surprised by the level of violence in Syracuse..... And I grew up in Morristown, NJ so violence was not foreign to me.

After being here for a while I was told a story of how they HATE people from NJ.....Apparently back in the late 1980s when Newark, NJ underwent its rebuilding into a normal, and somewhat safer city with higher rent areas, a bunch of those old Newark low renters were moved up to Syracuse......

Come to learn it was true, as part of a NJ judges order to allow the new builders to knock down old projects in Newark, the builders had to find new homes for the renters. So about 20,000 low income renters were moved to various cities and towns around NY, NJ, and PA...... a large bunch of them were moved to Syracuse......

A bit tip off is that there is a gang in Syracuse called the "Brick City Maffia" or something like that....Well the "Brick City" is what Newark is called and has been for many years..... But now the gangs in Syracuse are also using it......We are now seeing the violence, not from those original "gang bangers" but from their children.

The worst part is that the people that live in Syracuse (Onondaga County) have a very hard time getting a CWP with no restrictions. I have a few friends from there and they all have "Sportsman" or "Hunting" restrictions on their pistol license. So they cannot just carry every day anywhere they want.

BTW the best pizza is still in NJ.....CNY does an OK job....but not as good as NJ......

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post

BTW the best pizza is still in NJ.....CNY does an OK job....but not as good as NJ......
    Now, see THIS is why Central NYers REALLY hate NJ! You're all delusional pizza liars!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

VIP Member
    Hey, the NY cops actually hit their target?

Well, they saved the taxpayers a lot of loot and the BG got exactly what he deserved too!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Hey, the NY cops actually hit their target?

Well, they saved the taxpayers a lot of loot and the BG got exactly what he deserved too!
    Yeah. And that's why it surprised me my friend Shannon wasn't on that scene. She can tickle a fly's arse at 20 yards...which she says it's for self preservation because she'd be the only cop in her department on target!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Sponsored Links