Road rage incident in my home town - Another reason to carry

This is a discussion on Road rage incident in my home town - Another reason to carry within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My dad sent me this today, it happened near where I grew up. It just goes to show how a seemingly non deadly situation can ...

My dad sent me this today, it happened near where I grew up. It just goes to show how a seemingly non deadly situation can go from 0 to dead. Fortunately the victim was ok, but it could have turned out a lot worse. There have been previous threads with debates whether or not to draw on someone in this type of situation, and inevitably there is someone who says "you can't draw because he wasn't a threat to your life." A screwdriver is pretty easy to conceal, and can turn a seemingly verbal confrontation deadly. Should the victim just backed up and driven away? Probably, but I wasn't there so I can't say for sure. Just something to keep in the back of your mind. Stay safe out there ladies and gents.

Police Report

Man sought in road rage incident

State police at Rockview are looking for a man in his 50s, about 6 feet tall and 200 pounds, who was driving a light blue or light purple Jeep Cherokee and instigated a road rage incident Friday afternoon on state Route 45.

Police say the suspect was tailgating a 24-year-old man for several miles before cutting him off at the intersection of Penns Valley Road and Firehall Road in Spring Mills.

The suspect got out of his car and approached the victim inside his black Chevrolet Camaro and put a screwdriver to the man’s neck, twice pushing it into the base of the victim’s neck and left shoulder, police say.

The man was able to push away the suspect, then drive around his vehicle and escape.

The man was hospitalized briefly for a tetanus shot, police say.

Anyone with information is asked to call state police at 355-7545.

Read more: Police Report | Penn State News | Local - Centre Daily Times

Very good case for some type of in the car defense. First off the right attitude and willingness to fight, and not be a defenseless victim, is up most in importance. Handgun, handgun laws in state I do not know; knife, and knife laws in state I do not know. A good shoot of CS or mace in the face of man with screw drive would just make his day. While he is spitting and blind drive away and call 911. If he managed to get his foot in way of your tire even better.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I'm not that good of a driver. Something very bad would undoubtedly happen to my attacker while I was maneuvering my vehicle to escape.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Yeah, nobody is getting close enough to me to make use of a screwdriver, even if it is this long:

Oh, I'd a shot him for sure..... BOOM!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    There is really something to be said for having ones windows up and doors locked. Especially during a road rage incident. The article makes no mention of breaking the window or prying the lock open. One can assume our victim either had the window down, the door unlocked, or got out (unlikely given the wording above)

Lock your doors people! Don't get out of the vehicle!
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Didn't this victim have his window up? If the BG broke the glass his intentions were not to sell girl scout cookies.
    If you cut me off in traffic and prevent my departure from the scene...then approach me while I'm trapped inside my vehicle, things are going to get pretty noisy.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

grab his arm and bash his head against the side of the car
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

It would seem being approached with a weapon (even if its a screwdriver) would allow you to defend yourself as needed. He's lucky it didn't cause much more physical damage. Being a female, I wouldn't presume to be able to be physical with him. "I thought my life was in danger!" BANG!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

I survived two road rage incidents.
    Both were before concealed carry.
    Situational awareness, amigos pistoleros, leave maneuver room whenever possible and if that's not possible, make sure you can execute a clean draw from your seated position!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

The short description of the incident makes me think there's something missing. 1st I would have never had my window down...2nd if he was ulitmately able to drive around the other vehicle why didn't he do it before the guy even made it to the window? Sure, I might have drawn on this guy...but I would have tried to flee first.

I had a similar situation (minus screw driver)happen many moons ago when I lived in the DC area (Fairfax, VA to be exact) I was boxed into traffic and had nowhere to go...guy just banged on the window then went back to his vehicle when the light changed.

Quote Originally Posted by mojust View Post
    grab his arm and bash his head against the side of the car

or...grab his arm and hit the gas

Simple solution.

Car= big weapon, use it. Gonna teach my girls that.

The suspect got out of his car and approached the victim inside his black Chevrolet Camaro and put a screwdriver to the man’s neck ...
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    There is really something to be said for having ones windows up and doors locked.
    Yup. Stupidity is often in the simple daily things we do, or fail to do. Keep the windows up and the doors locked.

It's very simple. With windows up and doors locked, a road rage incident that turns into someone blowing up window-side results in a practically iron-clad defense for stopping the aggression from going any further, since at that point, the aggressor is breaking through a door to get to you. Of course, if that occurs, you've got real problems with Mr. Volatile in your lap. Don't let that happen ... whatever it takes, by whatever method Mr. Volatile seems to require in order to get the idea that your life isn't for sale.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links