DC Sniper To Be Executed Tonight

This is a discussion on DC Sniper To Be Executed Tonight within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The D.C. Sniper John Allen Muhammad will meet justice Tonight at 9:00 PM His scheduled execution will go forward unless Virginia Gov. Timothy M. Kaine ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: DC Sniper To Be Executed Tonight

DC Sniper To Be Executed Tonight

The D.C. Sniper John Allen Muhammad will meet justice Tonight at 9:00 PM

His scheduled execution will go forward unless Virginia Gov. Timothy M. Kaine intervenes.

Supreme Court rejects sniper's appeal

Washington area sniper John Allen Muhammad's scheduled execution will go forward Tuesday unless Virginia Gov. Timothy M. Kaine intervenes, after the U.S. Supreme Court on Monday rejected the sniper's final legal appeal.

Muhammad, 48, has exhausted all appeals of his capital murder conviction in the slaying of Dean H. Meyers, 53, at a Prince William County gas station on Oct. 9, 2002. Muhammad's last chance rests with Kaine (D).

Gordon Hickey, a spokesman for Kaine, said the governor was aware of the Supreme Court's decision but had not yet announced his own decision on clemency. The governor can allow the execution to occur as scheduled, delay it or commute Muhammad's sentence.

Muhammad's attorneys had argued that the sniper is mentally ill and that he should have been granted a competency hearing before his trial, at which he represented himself briefly. Muhammad has maintained his innocence.

If his execution goes forward, Muhammad will have a brief opportunity to speak before deadly chemicals are injected into his arms. Several victims' family members plan to attend the execution at the Greensville Correctional Center, near Jarratt, south of Richmond.

Members of the large regional law enforcement task force that tracked Muhammad and his accomplice, Lee Boyd Malvo, also plan to attend.

Federal authorities sent Muhammad's first prosecution to Prince William rather than Maryland in part because of Commonwealth's Attorney Paul B. Ebert's decades-long success in getting the death penalty and also because Virginia has a relatively swift path to execution.

Malvo, who was 17 at the time of the shootings, was convicted of capital murder for another sniper killing, in Fairfax County. He was sentenced to life without the possibility of parole. The pair also were linked to shootings in several other states.

Although the execution will come seven years after the shootings, it will be less than six years after a jury found him guilty of capital murder.

Supreme Court justices John Paul Stevens, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Sonia Sotomayor objected to the court's haste in declining Muhammad's case Monday, saying it "highlights once again the perversity of executing inmates before their appeals process has been fully concluded."

Stevens, writing for the three, said Virginia had short-circuited the process by scheduling Muhammad's execution for Tuesday night, earlier than the court would normally have reviewed his petition.

"By denying Muhammad's stay application, we have allowed Virginia to truncate our deliberative process on a matter -- involving a death row inmate -- that demands the most careful attention," Stevens wrote.

He said he did not disagree with the court's ultimate decision that Muhammad's petition did not warrant the court's consideration.

After the court made its decision, Jon Sheldon, part of the team representing Muhammad, expressed a similar concern about the rapid pace of the review.

"In its effort to race John Allen Muhammad to his death before his appeals could be pursued, the state of Virginia will execute a severely mentally ill man, who also suffered from Gulf War syndrome, the day before Veterans Day," he said.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

2. Remove Ads

I don't believe for one second he was mentally ill,the planning and way he targeted his victims with escape routes shows he knew exactly what he was doing
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

good riddins
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Well, I can't say he'll be missed! Been a long time coming!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Good. One less scumbag my taxes have to support.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

They need to ask about how many appeals the sniper's victims recieved. Apparently none. We take too much time in executing a very obvious guilty person for a crime he darn well knew he was committing. Mental? Doubt it. Calculating and evil? Spot on. The world will be much better off without him.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I wish Florida, and other states, would employ Virginia's speed in executing justice, (pun intended). Florida has death row inmates from decades ago.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

One of my favorite talk radio hosts used to accompany announcements of executions with this song.
    Sort of tickles the funny bone in a warped sort of way.

Youtube.com - Happy Trails to you.

Good riddance dirt-bag.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

"Although the execution will come seven years after the shootings, it will be less than six years after a jury found him guilty of capital murder.

Supreme Court justices John Paul Stevens, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Sonia Sotomayor objected to the court's haste in declining Muhammad's case Monday, saying it "highlights once again the perversity of executing inmates before their appeals process has been fully concluded."

HASTE....???????????????????????
    Seven years is HASTE....????????

bosco

Good riddance.......it is good to see the wheels of justice turning. I say to the SCOTUS justices who feel we are acting haste if you haven't determined within 2 years this mans' guilt given the preponderance of evidence in the case then you don't belong on the bench.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I wont loose any sleep tonight. Good riddance!

I say release him from Prison...

Then carry out his execution in the same manner he did to others, from a distance and when he doesn't expect it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I can only HOPE that the GOVERNOR STANDS FIRM.

Puffer

VIP Member

Thumbs up It's a go

Kaine clears way for execution of D.C. sniper Muhammad - Roanoke.com

Kaine clears way for execution of D.C. sniper Muhammad
    John Allen Muhammad is scheduled to die by lethal injection at 9 tonight.
    Associated Press
    RICHMOND -- Gov. Tim Kaine denied clemency today for sniper John Allen Muhammad, clearing the way for him to be executed for the attacks that terrorized the nation's capital region for three weeks in 2002.

Muhammad is set to die by injection tonight at Greensville Correctional Center in Jarratt. His attorneys had asked Kaine to commute his sentence to life in prison because they say he is mentally ill. The U.S. Supreme Court turned down his final appeal.

"I find no compelling reason to set aside the sentence that was recommended by the jury and then imposed and affirmed by the courts," Kaine, who is known for carefully considering death penalty cases, said in a statement. "Accordingly, I decline to intervene."

Muhammad was sentenced to death for killing Dean Harold Meyers at a Manassas gas station during a three-week spree that left 10 dead across Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

He and his teenage accomplice, Lee Boyd Malvo, also were suspected of fatal shootings in other states, including Louisiana, Alabama and Arizona.

The motive for the shootings remains murky. Malvo said Muhammad wanted to use the plot to extort $10 million from the government to set up a camp in Canada where homeless children would be trained as terrorists. But Muhammad's ex-wife has said she believes the attacks were a smoke screen for his plan to kill her and regain custody of their three children.

For the families of those killed, the day is a long time coming.

Cheryll Witz is one of several victims' relatives who were going to watch the execution. Malvo confessed that, at Muhammad's direction, he shot her father, Jerry Taylor, on a Tucson, Ariz., golf course in March 2002.

"He basically watched my dad breathe his last breath," she said. "Why shouldn't I watch his last breath?"

The shootings terrorized the Washington region, with victims gunned down while doing everyday chores like shopping or pumping gas. People stayed indoors. Those who had to go outside weaved as they walked or bobbed their heads to make themselves less of a target.

The terror ended on Oct. 24, 2002, when police captured Muhammad and Malvo as they slept at a Maryland rest stop in a car they had outfitted so a shooter could hide in the trunk and fire through a hole in the body of the vehicle. Malvo is serving a life sentence in Virginia.

Death penalty opponents planned vigils across the state, and some were headed for Jarratt, about an hour south of Richmond, for the execution.

Beth Panilaitis, executive director of Virginians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty, said those who planned to protest understand the fear that gripped the community, and the nation, during the attacks.

"The greater metro area and the citizens of Virginia have been safe from this crime for seven years," Panilaitis said. "Incarceration has worked and life without the possibility of parole has and will continue to keep the people of Virginia safe."
    I have relatives that are COs (w/ one on the death block, last I heard) at Greensville. I wonder....
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links