GOOD - our porous border

GOOD - our porous border

This is a discussion on GOOD - our porous border within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police officer gets 8 months for illegal ammo purchase | ABC15.com Mexican Police officer gets 8 months for illegal ammo purchase TUCSON, AZ – A ...

Thread: GOOD - our porous border

GOOD - our porous border

Police officer gets 8 months for illegal ammo purchase | ABC15.com

Mexican Police officer gets 8 months for illegal ammo purchase
    TUCSON, AZ – A Mexican police officer was sentenced on Tuesday to eight months in federal prison for unlawful possession of ammunition.

Santiago Gutierrez-Othon, 51, of Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico, was arrested after authorities observed him leaving the Pima County Fairgrounds with a box of ammunition he purchased at a gun show on March 8.

Officers later stopped Gutierrez-Othon’s vehicle for a traffic violation and asked if he had purchased any ammunition.

Gutierrez-Othon reportedly denied the allegation but when authorities searched his vehicle, they found 500 rounds of ammunition for an AR-15 assault rifle in the trunk of the car.

According to authorities, Gutierrez-Othon admitted to purchasing the ammunition after the rounds were found.

He also reportedly told officers that he had planned to bribe Mexican customs authorities in order to bring the ammo into Mexico.

=======
    A Mexican police officer bribing a customs agent? What is the world coming to?
    I wonder which drug cartel owns his butt.

In retrospect, that's the kind of "gun show loophole" I don't mind being plugged.

Earlier in the year, I saw some Mexican cops (in uniform!) at a big show in Phoenix. I found out later they were arrested when they tried to buy guns... not sure if the seller was a dealer or a private party, but he was not implicated. Takes a pretty big set to try to buy guns openly, in uniform, in a big city!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Turnabout is fair play, after all some years ago an American was arrested and thrown into a Mexican prison for one round found in his vehicle.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

This was a 'token' arrest.IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Buying ammo is illegal?
    Was it the type of ammo? Or who he was (a non-US person)?

VIP Member
    Ditto what Restupt wrote. Token arrest. Maybe they caught one of the good guys instead of a cartel member? Maybe he needed the ammo to protect himself from the cartels? Without evidence one way or the other on the man's basic character I leave my view of this event without a firm judgment.

As for him proposing to bribe a Mexican Custom's agent at the border to get his stuff in, THAT IS A WAY OF LIFE in Mexico and practically every other country where Spain once ruled. It is the reason Latin America and The Philippines are poorly developed and seem to make no progress.

Consider that after WWII Korea, Taiwan, Japan, The Philippines, were all equally down to nothingness in economic terms. Each of these nations received lots of foreign aid from the US and reparation money from the Japanese.

Japan developed a modern industrial society. Korea developed a modern industrial society. Taiwan developed a modern industrial society. China has slowly emerged--but had other issues. The one country which has made no progress is the one with the Spanish heritage as Mexico's, The Philippines.

And before someone complains that this is somehow a racist view, this was pointed out to me by my sister in-law who is a native Filipino and lived the first 40 something years of her life there. She was wringing her hands over their failure to develop as other nations in Asia have.

So, I'm not going to condemn the Mexican cop's intent to bribe his ammo into Mexico. That is just part of the way things are done in that culture. It says nothing about whether he was or *is* a good or bad Mexican cop. Only that he got caught here violating our law and was made an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Ditto what Restupt wrote. Token arrest. Maybe they caught one of the good guys instead of a cartel member? Maybe he needed the ammo to protect himself from the cartels? Without evidence one way or the other on the man's basic character I leave my view of this event without a firm judgment.

As for him proposing to bribe a Mexican Custom's agent at the border to get his stuff in, THAT IS A WAY OF LIFE in Mexico and practically every other country where Spain once ruled. It is the reason Latin America and The Philippines are poorly developed and seem to make no progress.
    Token arrest, possibly. Bought it for his own defense, maybe. Problem is, the guy is guilty of aggravated stupidity. There are plenty or guns and ammo available on the black market on his own side of the border.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInTexas View Post
    Buying ammo is illegal?
    Was it the type of ammo? Or who he was (a non-US person)?
    Mexican Police officer
    He's a foreign national and in his country citizen possession of military use calibers is and has long been expressly unlawful.
    Further transport of arms and ammunition across borders as from the US into MX and vice versa also has long been unlawful, withotu declaration and express specific allowance.

No matter how one slices or dices this, the guy broke laws at state, federal and international (Mexico) levels.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    He's a foreign national
    So there is a law that says a non US person is not allowed to buy ammo.

and in his country citizen possession of military use calibers is and has long been expressly unlawful.
    ????So if it is illegal in Peru to eat tilapia, we are watching all the Peruvians in the US that they don't bust Peruvian laws by eating tilapia while here in the US? That doesn't make sense..that we enforce another country's laws, here.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Further transport of arms and ammunition across borders as from the US into MX and vice versa also has long been unlawful,
    The report I read said he was at a gunshow, not trying to cross a border. Maybe they got him with intent?

I am a little confused as well. The report doesn't say anything about him transporting anything across the boarder. As far as I know you can buy ammo here no matter what your country of citizenship is. There must be a back story, or a lot more to the story in general, that wasn't printed.

Sponsored Links