Ex-Marine Who Survived War, Knife Assault; Murdered While Installing Cable TV

This is a discussion on Ex-Marine Who Survived War, Knife Assault; Murdered While Installing Cable TV within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ex-Marine Who Survived War, Knife Assault; Murdered While Installing Cable TV - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com ...

Thread: Ex-Marine Who Survived War, Knife Assault; Murdered While Installing Cable TV

Ex-Marine Who Survived War, Knife Assault; Murdered While Installing Cable TV - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A former Marine who survived three tours in Iraq and a knife assault five months ago has been murdered in a mysterious attack while installing cable TV in a California home, police say.

Authorities said they don't know why a man inside the home where 25-year-old Trevor Neiman was working Monday grabbed a hammer and fatally beat the war veteran-turned-cable technician, The Los Angeles Times reported.

"There was no exchange of words. There was nothing that occurred before the unprovoked attack," San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Jody Miller told the press.

Police said the alleged attacker, 45-year-old Johnny Acosta, initially fled the home, believed to belong to some of his relatives, but later turned himself in, the Times reported.

Casie Barnard, Neiman's 26-year-old sister, told the Times that Neiman was trying to build a life after serving in Iraq from October 2003 to 2008, recently getting married and buying a house in May.

That same month, someone attacked Neiman with a knife during a party at his home. The attack left him with broken ribs, a punctured lung and a severe head wound.

Police arrested three people on suspicion of attempted murder in that attack, the Times reported.

"When he came home from Iraq, we thought, 'Oh, OK,' he got home safe," Barnard said. "We don't have to worry."

Acosta his being held without bail on suspicion of murder and is set to appear in court Thursday, the Times reported.

2. Remove Ads

good grief i wonder whats going on w/this deal. horrible.
    Last edited by stormbringerr; November 11th, 2009 at 09:41 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Now that is just plain sickening! Senseless and totally outrageous!

Scumbag should rot in a cell at Corcoran or Pelican Bay for the rest of his days. Which hopefully is very short!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

It just hurts my heart to read something like this. I will remember this family in my prayers.

After three tours and making it back home to have it end like this is horrific. People are just plane nuts.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

The person(s) who killed the marine should get the death penalty. That marines family will be getting my prayers.
    ~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

This is quite a strange story. Seems as if he either found trouble or it has followed him since getting out of the service.

I am definately interested in finding out what possessed the fellow to beat him with a hammer.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    The person(s) who killed the marine should get the death penalty. That marines family will be getting my prayers.
    ~Steve
    He won't, it's in CA. I wonder if there is more to the story, not that it would justify murder. Most people go thru life not ever being assualted. God bless the fallen, in war and state side.
    Randy
    Law Enforcement Armorer
    NRA
    GOA
    Range Officer
    Advice is seldom welcome; and those who want it the most always like it the least.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    This is quite a strange story. Seems as if he either found trouble or it has followed him since getting out of the service.

I am definately interested in finding out what possessed the fellow to beat him with a hammer.
    Agreed.

I'd also like to know more about his prior beating and being stabbed event, as at his own home during a "party" as by what I assume to have been invited guests.

Nobody gets beat down and stabbed like tht in their home much less at a party as for no reason and upon having said nothing to the attacker(s).

As to hammer guy maybe he was crazy in the head. Maybe not.
    But the victim surely has seemingly been struck by lightening twice (!), and as within months of each other.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post

I think there has to be more to the story. And the fact that he was involved in a knife attack prior also makes me believe there is more to the story.

My prayers go out to his family and friends and may the POS who did it rot in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    But the victim surely has seemingly been struck by lightening twice (!), and as within months of each other.

- Janq
    +1 +1

Another senseless crime, but then aren't most of them? Sad to hear that a vet had to have his life end like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

California better introduce a bill ASAP outlawing hammers. I'm sure this would have gotten a lot more press if a handgun was used. Interesting how both times he was assaulted it was NOT a gun.

VIP Member
    Probably more to the story. The old expression lightening doesn't strike twice in the same place might apply. Was the guy a lightening rod?

No excuse for either the knife attacker or the hammer attacker, and certainly it is possible these were two totally unrelated events unrelated to the victim's behavior-- but then..... wow, doesn't seem entirely likely.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Perhaps run ins with people from his life before the Marines, or maybe the second attack was to prevent him from testifying on the first attack??
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Considering California Acosta may not only get off on this but may also be given a medal for killing an "evil" former member of our "evil military. Hope they prove me wrong. Seriously though I wonder if Acosta has any connection to the three arrested for the knife attack? As far as punishment goes they should give him to Camp LeJune (hope its spelled correctly) and let some Marines show him what their idea of justice would be. To all who have served and those serving now, Thanks for your service. To those still serving, stay safe. Prayers go out to his family.

Links