Jail time for turning in found shotgun (Merged) - Page 3

Jail time for turning in found shotgun (Merged)

This is a discussion on Jail time for turning in found shotgun (Merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am quite dissapointed to find that some on this forum would feel this mans actions constituted a punishable offense. Perhaps they suffer from vitamin ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jail time for turning in found shotgun (Merged)

TOF
    I am quite dissapointed to find that some on this forum would feel this mans actions constituted a punishable offense.

Perhaps they suffer from vitamin deficiencies. Whatever the cause I consider them wrong.

Last edited by TOF; November 13th, 2009 at 10:53 PM.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Agreed that it was a bad move to even touch the firearm. Best thing would have been to call as soon as he knew what it was. By not touching it the fingerprints wern't on it. isolate the area and wait till the police show. Make sure to have a statement ready for police and get a copy of the written report. If possible have a witness present, and your alibi. Take the heat off you BEFORE the police leave. Otherwise hell will follow.

Sad truth is police prosecute the easiest suspect not the criminal. At least in America its difficult if not impossible to prosecute an innocent person that knows the law and doesn't give up their rights.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    I am a quite dissapointed to find that some on this forum would feel this mans actions constituted a punishable offense.
    Nobody stated such a thing (?).

Re-read the posts.

What folks have stated is that as per the environment he was in, the UK.
    Further knowing the laws of that environment which this gentleman as a native and former enlisted person had to be aware of, it is hard to excuse behavior that goes against this fore knowledge of how it is to be in the specific environment.
    Additionally his call to the police to as by his own statement being non-descriptive rather than stating in so many words; 'I've found that a GUN and AMMO in a bin liner (bag) was tossed into my backyard.'; was neither wise nor as per the environment he is in lawful (failure to report, with immediacy).

Just the same as how things work in the US and the rest of the world one has to know the ways, means, mores, rules, regulations and laws of the environment they are in as in the moment...as applied to any action, or reaction.

In this case the environment was the UK, which is VERY well known internationally to be anti-gun possession to a fault.
    This is not about right and wrong as relate to individual morality. It is about law and law enforcement.
    The laws in the UK are what they are and this person broke them, as by _active_ possession...as beyond finding the gun & ammo in his yard, where he should have left it/replaced it and called the cops for further specific direction.

Very much similar if not exact same legality applys here in the US if it were DC, or MD, or NJ, or NYC or MA, or CA or CT or...

One has to know their environment.
    Failure to recognize this and know as much does land folks in hot water, as by law...without regard to ones own individual sense of morality (right/wrong) and thoughts.

Re-read the posts, and the OP too.

- Janq

P.S. - Another example.
    In Singapore it is unlawful to chew or even possess chewing gum.
    In other countries if you kiss, touch or even see anything but the eyes of a woman not married to you then that woman can be caned, stoned, or even justifiably by local mores and morality if not law raped as a punishment. Seriously.
    This is _their_ environment and their laws and their mores and morality. Regardless of what you or I might think or be used to.
    Persons of a given environment know these things and know better.
    One thing though is universal as in most every environment as related to law; 'Ignorance as an excuse is not a recognized defense'.
    It is wise for persons to know and understand this fact of life and living, without any regard to whether they might like or agree with the rules of the game as within a given environment.
    Failure to do so will and does result in punishments as detailed in this threads OP, and worse; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics
    Welcome to life and living as among the rest of the world.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    I am a quite dissapointed to find that some on this forum would feel this mans actions constituted a punishable offense.
    As much as we may disagree with it, and may not understand it, it is still a law in that country.

Just as we are all law abiding citizens, and follow the rules as to how we are able to carry, he should have been aware of the law.

Of course the punishment does not fit the crime. That's how we see it with our American rights. Hopefully a judge will see it that way too and ameliorate the penalties.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    That won't work either!

I read a story in the last couple of weeks where a man found a firearm in his yard. He called the 'bobbies' & was told they wouldn't come get it...they told him him to bring it to them!

I'll look for the link......
    Well that's a Catch-22 if I ever heard one. Hard to believe!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    Sort of reminds me of the stories you read here in the USA about zero tolerance school districts. Official stupidity run amuck.
    What he said . . .
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I'll try to remember that next time I find $500,000 on my lawn.
    Hey, that's mine. I want it back.

This is what happens to subjects.This is what happens when common sense goes out the window and the law prosecutes people who are only trying to do the right thing. I was going to lunch one day and saw a sawed off Browning auto laying in a field beside the road. I called the cops and it took 3 days for them to come and get it. It was probably stolen and I didn't want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    This is what happens to subjects.This is what happens when common sense goes out the window and the law prosecutes people who are only trying to do the right thing. I was going to lunch one day and saw a sawed off Browning auto laying in a field beside the road. I called the cops and it took 3 days for them to come and get it. It was probably stolen and I didn't want it.
    Not for much longer...The Treacherous scum called the labour party (dumocrats) have sold the country to europe...We will shortly be citizens of europe.. No not very happy at this...Would you?
    Decisions on how you live made by thieving scumbag european politicians in Belguim??

Tint Bob (UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Tint Bob View Post
    Not for much longer...The Treacherous scum called the labour party (dumocrats) have sold the country to europe...We will shortly be citizens of europe.. No not very happy at this...Would you?
    Decisions on how you live made by thieving scumbag european politicians in Belguim??

Tint Bob (UK)
    Guy since England has lost the right to own: Guns & Knives with points I think it's pretty much in the crapper right now. What's next, making it against the law to have a rock, or a sharp stick? All England needs now is a huge influx of Muslims to fix everything.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Change you can believe in.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

"Strict Liability" is something the Prosecutor knew about also, and knew that would take over like a machine once the guy was charged by whatever the equivalent of a DA Office is over there. They must have been out to get this guy - or anyone with anything to do with guns - and chose to prosecute instead of just walking away from this one - like would likely happen in most places here in an equivalent situation. The cops could also simply not have arrested the guy. Ever have a cop give you a pass and and only a warning after a traffic violation stop? That stuff happens all the time here. Cops don't arrest all the time and DAs don't prosecute all the time here. I'm sure they don't there - except when they want to.

Also, if it was here, they would know they would have the NRA and fifteen other groups and organizations taking this one and making it a CAUSE and causing the authorities so much grief and press they'd walk away from a prosecution even if they personally didn't want to. It would be up on appeal with cracker-jack attorneys donating their services 2 min. after the verdict.

These people did what they wanted to do and hid behind an unjust law.

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    "Strict Liability" is something the Prosecutor knew about also, and knew that would take over like a machine once the guy was charged by whatever the equivalent of a DA Office is over there. They must have been out to get this guy - or anyone with anything to do with guns - and chose to prosecute instead of just walking away from this one - like would likely happen in most places here in an equivalent situation. The cops could also simply not have arrested the guy. Ever have a cop give you a pass and and only a warning after a traffic violation stop? That stuff happens all the time here. Cops don't arrest all the time and DAs don't prosecute all the time here. I'm sure they don't there - except when they want to.

Also, if it was here, they would know they would have the NRA and fifteen other groups and organizations taking this one and making it a CAUSE and causing the authorities so much grief and press they'd walk away from a prosecution even if they personally didn't want to. It would be up on appeal with cracker-jack attorneys donating their services 2 min. after the verdict.

These people did what they wanted to do and hid behind an unjust law.
    Its called the Crown Prosecution Service or CPS
    What you have is 12 years of liberal or labour rule.
    Labour thought it would be a great idea to give the Police TARGETS (we are not talking the paper type )
    No these are just about every type of target you can think of, financial, arrest rate, clear up rate etc etc etc.
    On of the targets is clearly FIREARMS INCIDENTS
    Yes you guessed it...This clears up a lot of targets, puts surrey plod (surrey is the county the gun was found ) right in the pink with a great success story (sorry about the poor bugger who goes to prison)

So there you have it...Liberal Polictics laid bare

No these are just about every type of target you can think of, financial, arrest rate, clear up rate etc etc etc.
    On of the targets is clearly FIREARMS INCIDENTS
    Yes exactly: this is politics not the poor authorities and judge being forced to obey the law, nor is it the guys fault. Sure he could have been more on guard about the law, but what kind of society is it that you have to walk around with a pile of law books so that a simple helpful action might not run afoul of some whacked out law and you be ensnared by the "law" (i.e.: the authorities) and sent to prison.

I'm a middle of the roader about certain restrictions here, but this is not a story of how to fine-tune protection of self vs protection of citizens from accidents or something like that, it's just entrapment, catching fish with a grenade.

TOF
    Quote Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
    Guy since England has lost the right to own: Guns & Knives with points I think it's pretty much in the crapper right now. What's next, making it against the law to have a rock, or a sharp stick? All England needs now is a huge influx of Muslims to fix everything.
    Using a dull stick for self defense is already unlawful in the UK. They throw the key away if it is sharp.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links