Jail time for turning in found shotgun (Merged) - Page 4

Jail time for turning in found shotgun (Merged)

This is a discussion on Jail time for turning in found shotgun (Merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; About 25 years ago I found a set of license plates in my front yard. I took them to the Police Station to turn them ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    VIP Member
    About 25 years ago I found a set of license plates in my front yard. I took them to the Police Station to turn them in and report where they were found... boy was I stupid! 3 1/2 hours later, AFTER waiting 1 hour to be interrogated for 2 1/2 hours and treated like a thief I walked out.

Nope, if you ever find ANYTHING that you think the Police needs to see or have... DO NOT TOUCH IT AND CALL THE POLICE!

If you live in the UK... RUN!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

In my city, the DA would never have filed on this, much less bring it to trial. With that said, the guy should have had the brains to call the police and report it instead of bringing it in.

Former British soldier convicted for turning in firearm

Ex-soldier faces jail for handing in gun
    A former soldier who handed a discarded shotgun in to police faces at least five years imprisonment for "doing his duty".

Paul Clarke, 27, was found guilty of possessing a firearm at Guildford Crown Court on Tuesday after finding the gun and handing it personally to police officers on March 20 this year.

The jury took 20 minutes to make its conviction, and Mr Clarke now faces a minimum of five year's imprisonment for handing in the weapon.

In a statement read out in court, Mr Clarke said: "I didn't think for one moment I would be arrested.

"I thought it was my duty to hand it in and get it off the streets."

The court heard how Mr Clarke was on the balcony of his home in Nailsworth Crescent, Merstham, when he spotted a black bin liner at the bottom of his garden.

In his statement, he said: "I took it indoors and inside found a shorn-off shotgun and two cartridges.

"I didn't know what to do, so the next morning I rang the Chief Superintendent, Adrian Harper, and asked if I could pop in and see him.

"At the police station, I took the gun out of the bag and placed it on the table so it was pointing towards the wall."

Mr Clarke was then arrested immediately for possession of a firearm at Reigate police station, and taken to the cells.

Defending, Lionel Blackman told the jury Mr Clarke's garden backs onto a public green field, and his garden wall is significantly lower than his neighbours.

He also showed jurors a leaflet printed by Surrey Police explaining to citizens what they can do at a police station, which included "reporting found firearms".

Quizzing officer Garnett, who arrested Mr Clarke, he asked: "Are you aware of any notice issued by Surrey Police, or any publicity given to, telling citizens that if they find a firearm the only thing they should do is not touch it, report it by telephone, and not take it into a police station?"

To which, Mr Garnett replied: "No, I don't believe so."

Prosecuting, Brian Stalk, explained to the jury that possession of a firearm was a "strict liability" charge therefore Mr Clarke's allegedly honest intent was irrelevant.

Just by having the gun in his possession he was guilty of the charge, and has no defence in law against it, he added.

But despite this, Mr Blackman urged members of the jury to consider how they would respond if they found a gun.

He said: "This is a very small case with a very big principle.

"You could be walking to a railway station on the way to work and find a firearm in a bin in the park.

"Is it unreasonable to take it to the police station?"

Paul Clarke will be sentenced on December 11.

Judge Christopher Critchlow said: "This is an unusual case, but in law there is no dispute that Mr Clarke has no defence to this charge.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Ridiculous
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Senior Moderator
    Tyranny at work.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    And yet another example of Britain seemingly going down the drain. Kind of unbelievable that the jury is so brainwashed as to see this as an ok thing to convict a guy for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Wow... That is messed up!

Absolutely no common sense in the law there. The guy is gonna do five years only to realize that the law absolutely does not care if a kid found the weapon and injured or killed anyone. All the law wants to do is gig people anyway it can.

I mean, I certainly see Janq's point, and really agree with it. But still, some people just don't think things through the way everyone would like them to.

This man had a clear intention of getting a dangerous gun off the street! Because he wasn't "intellectual" enough to have let it lay and call the police, he's going to do five years in prison. So, he was ignorant and lacked some common sense... hell yeah, give him five years!

Yep^^^^^^ To both

What an idiotic place.
    Can you imagine how messed-up other places in the world are?

'Because that's all the ammunition we had.'
    Polk Co. Fla. Sheriff Grady Judd
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links