Good. Meigs County TN homeowner shoots burglar

This is a discussion on Good. Meigs County TN homeowner shoots burglar within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Homeowner Pulls Trigger on Robber | pulls, trigger, property - Local News - WTVC NewsChannel 9: Chattanooga News, Weather, Radar, Sports, Lottery Homeowner Pulls Trigger ...

Thread: Good. Meigs County TN homeowner shoots burglar

Good. Meigs County TN homeowner shoots burglar

Homeowner Pulls Trigger on Robber | pulls, trigger, property - Local News - WTVC NewsChannel 9: Chattanooga News, Weather, Radar, Sports, Lottery

Homeowner Pulls Trigger on Robber
    Comments 1 | Recommend 0
    November 12, 2009 4:46 PM
    Karen Zatkulak

A man trying to protect his home and property, pulls a gun and opens fire on a would be thief. The shooting happened in Meigs County Tuesday night, but the suspect had to be taken to a Chattanooga hospital. Now, the suspect, Jacob Layton, is still recovering. Authorities say he was in the arm and side, and had to have surgery.

People who live on North No Pone Valley say they're devastated by the suspect who went on a robbery rampage through their neighborhood.

Don Coleman recounts how the night here on No Pone Valley Road began. He woke up around 10 o'clock for a call that his truck was being stolen. "Run over my trailer, off of it, and come right there and got stuck, and that's a blessing right there he got stuck, cause I'd have lost my truck."

But instead, Coleman says Layton, ran off after getting his truck stuck in the mud. As Coleman called 911, he says Layton ran to more homes, stole 2 guns, and ransacked his neighbors cars. Brian Shaver was another victim, "I got in my Jimmy and everything in the dash was in the floorboard, everything in the console scattered, looked in my wife's car and everything was scattered in it."

Coleman says, "I've counted 9 that people have told me they've seen him around their yard, going through their vehicles."

Coleman says once Layton left his house he hit several others then finally ended up outside a barn across the street. That's when the homeowner came out armed, face to face with the suspect and a weapon. The Sheriff's Office says the homeowner ordered Layton to stop, and put down his stolen rifle, but he refused. Coleman says, "He shot him first time in the arm to get his attention and that didn't so he swung around and pointed again and shot him."

Coleman says he saw Layton laying in the driveway, and he was taken to Erlanger where he's still recovering from the gunshot wounds. Now, these neighbors are recovering too. Shaver says, "We're lucky, only one who got hurt was the one who needed to."

Layton is expected to be okay, but will go from the hospital to the jail. The detective says he will probably be charged with several counts of burglary, trespassing, and aggravated assault. As for the homeowner who shot Layton, authorities say he will not be charged and was only acting in self defense.

2. Remove Ads

The dead head was probably high on drugs.

At any rate he was super stupid.

Hope he enjoys jail.

Glad it turned out well for the victims of the crime spree!!! !!!!!!!!!

Wounded. Now my tax money will have to go to pay more medical bills.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

The good guy should have better aim and removed the BG from the gene pool

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Funny thing is, this is just a county over from me, and I only heard about it here.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Links