Foolish Pregnant woman attacked by dogs

This is a discussion on Foolish Pregnant woman attacked by dogs within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Do they really teach that insanity? *** are you doing pregnant and approaching roaming large breed dogs that aren't yours? Pregnant Veterinarian Attacked By Dogs ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foolish Pregnant woman attacked by dogs

Foolish Pregnant woman attacked by dogs

1. Do they really teach that insanity?
    2. *** are you doing pregnant and approaching roaming large breed dogs that aren't yours?

Pregnant Veterinarian Attacked By Dogs In Front Yard - News Story - WEWS Cleveland
    Pregnant Veterinarian Attacked By Dogs In Front Yard

POSTED: 4:49 pm EST November 12, 2009
    UPDATED: 6:08 pm EST November 12, 2009

ELYRIA, Ohio -- A pregnant Elyria woman is recovering after being attacked by two dogs in her front yard.

Dr. Lisa Fox is a veterinarian and she used her training to help fight off the two mastiffs, saving her life and that of her unborn baby too.

Fox never imagined when she saw the two dogs standing in the street in front of her house that they would attack her.

The dogs belonged to her neighbor and Fox said she never saw them cause a problem in the neighborhood before.

"I walked inside of my house, grabbed two leashes and went off to either get them out of the road or hopefully attach a leash to them," said Fox.

By the time Fox got back outside, she said, chaos broke out.

"I don't know if it was the leashes in my hand that jingled, or if it's the fact I'm pregnant and emitting a different smell than normal, or if it's the fact they just happened to notice me. Within a split second, they had charged," Fox said. "And they were on top of me, attacking me. I was trained in vet school that you always act like a tree if you're being attacked by dogs or if dogs are charging you."

She said the dogs kept biting her hands and arms, which is where the majority of her puncture wounds are located.

Fox said she slowly walked back to her house and the dogs disappeared.

She didn't see where they went, but later found out that the dogs were hit by a car and killed on impact.

"Which, ironically, was the thing I was trying to stop from happening in the first place, so I feel bad for them and the owners," she said.

Lorain County officials said the dogs' owner, Donald Goble, was charged with having dogs at large and he didn't have a kennel license.

The owner told NewsChannel5 that he didn't know how the dogs got out of their enclosure.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

When being charged by mastiffs, unless you're a REALLY big tree, I'd say you're going down. Probably, the intent was to mean DON'T RUN! Glad she's ok though.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Yeah I'm a bit perplexed. Seems to me the only reason they didn't finish her off is because they became disinterested. I just don't see the idea of standing there continuously in the bite zone without fighting back at all.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

"Veterinarian"

Her actions clearly were blockheded, and the tree nonsense is non-functional.
    Trees get peed on and sticks from their limbs used as chew toys.

Even if she were not pregnant this would have been a bad idea.
    Not just one large foreign to her off leash animal but two, with an alpha and beta interrelationship at that.

She just wasn't thinking....and sadly that very often is the pivot point toward many of the stories featured in this sub-forum.
    If any thing is to be learned from this story and that of the whole sub-forum it is this; Think (it through) _before_ you act. :|

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Unless trees can poop I'm not acting like a tree
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

This went down in my hometown... I know the victim and she has been putting herself in danger to help animals for some time now...I do not like to see this happen to anyone however she was asking for it.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Hmm,

Not too smart lady. I certainly hope next time there is a dog loose (especially rather large dog) you will call the owner and inform them that their dog is out and let them handle it.

That being said, I will put up my neighbors GS dog when she jumps the fence and is out. Usually that just requires me to head towards her and call her name telling her to get in the back yard, which she jumps the fence and all is good. On occasion when she doesn't feel like jumping back over I will open the gate for her and let her in. Never do I try to put a leash on her.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Saw that in the local paper.
    Sadly, that's not far from here.
    Could not help but wonder ...
    She's a vet?
    She is used to rescuing dogs?
    She was taught in veterinary school to act like a tree?
    She has no experience otherwise?
    Hmmm ...
    What was it the T-shirt said?
    Experience comes from bad decisions?
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Another irresponsible pet owner putting his neighbors in jeopardy AND getting his dogs killed, good thing the lady wasn't killed.
    Is it really that hard to keep your animals under control ? This kind of stuff aggravates me to no end.
    The lady did right once the attack was launched, if she had run from them it would have been worse. I like how everyone knows better than the trained professional Vet.

The pet owner should keep the dogs under control. This is really a big deal with a big dog. I've got a Mastiff, and I've only got a few pounds on her. She's in the house or on a leash. A simple leash or two would have prevented the Vet's wounds and saved the animals.

Glad she and little one "in the oven" are OK.
    Still Clingin'

The people that tell you to stand still and act like a tree, or don't look the dog in the eye because they take that as a challenge are the same people that say to go along with whatever the bad guy says because if you fight back he will get mad and hurt you. I have been around all kinds of dogs and livestock for 68 yrs. and if a animal even thinks about hurting you the best thing you can do is jump on him as quick and hard as you can and don't let up till he runs or dies. Larry

My sentiments exactly, Sky Pilot. My signature--"Good decisions come from experience, experience comes from bad decisions."
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

I just retired from the local Electric Company and I've been in many yards with dogs. I've learned a few things about strange dogs. Some dogs just want to scare you off, some want to hide from you and raise enough ruckus to wake the dead, and some will bait you until the can sink their teeth in you.
    It takes years to figure out which is which, and you never approach them where they can reach you until you determine which kind they are, and how they are going to react to your presence.

I've been bit twice in all those years. Both just stood there and waited for me. Then both times, without warning, lunged out with their teeth.

Most aggressive dogs can be backed up with an aggressive attitude, but you need to have an escape plan or defensive plan in case they change their minds. In pairs, your odds stink.

Big dogs are deadly, but it's the little bity ones that will bite you first.
    It's the alpha beta group that scare me the most.

As for trying to leash these dogs while pregnant, that's just plain foolish.

Curt

She probably crosses the street without looking, too! Not real bright for a doctor...IMYO
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; November 14th, 2009 at 08:09 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

too little information to really understand what happened or why.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links