Jury issues not guilty veredict on Puerto Rico self defense case

This is a discussion on Jury issues not guilty veredict on Puerto Rico self defense case within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Around three years ago Mr. Adan Torres Quiñones killed four in self defense. Today he was acquitted of all charges. El Nuevo Dia Primera Hora...

Around three years ago Mr. Adan Torres Quiñones killed four in self defense. Today he was acquitted of all charges.

El Nuevo Dia

Primera Hora
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

anything printed in English?
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I ran these stories through two different translation services and this is what I came up with. I don't guarantee my version to be all that accurate. Maybe some of our Spanish speaking members here can clarify if I'm off base.
    Apparently 4 juveniles attacked a Merchants daughter on the beach and were trying to rape her. Her Father a local Merchant came along and killed all four. The mothers/ parents of the juveniles are not happy with the outcome of the trail. The Mother of one of the juviniles is crying in the picture outside the court.
    I think it says the 4 boys were trying to rape and /or shoot the girl at or / in a public bathroom when her Father shot and killed all four even though he was out numbered.

His Lawyer praised the 12 members of the Jury for being 12 oaks of righteousness for their diligence and responsibility to take a decisive moment?
    Here's the translated version, it's still a little confusing.

Acquitted merchant in case of The Jungle

Elba Pacheco, mother of one of the j? Venes killed in the jungle, crying after the Right Decision of the jury. (For First Time / Edgar V? Zquez Col? N)
    Friday, November 13th, 2009
    Updated 3 hours ago (05:38 p.m.)
    Darisabel Texidor Guadalupe / For First Time
    After three to? You and through a long process, the merchant yaucano Ad? No Torres qui cannons could breathe quietly after learning that the jury found him not guilty of all charges for the deaths of four j? Venes on the beach The Jungle in 2006.

The jury of nine women and three men voted eleven to one on the charge of rape? No Art? Ass 5.05 Arms Act and four counts of the art? Ass 108 C? Attenuated the Criminal Code for murder.

? I was three? You waiting for justice for my children and we do not?? Said Elba Pacheco, mother of the brothers? Angel and Armando Castro, two of the v? The victim of this slaughter.

Cristian Torres's mother, Mildred Padilla said it is unfair that a person that took the lives of four people is freed.

For its part, the accused expressed? Her happy? to the win in the process.

? It was justice. Now follow? my life working for my family?, Torres said Qui cannons.

His lawyer Paul Col? No praise? the work of the jury who described? about 12 oaks of righteousness for his diligence and responsibility to take a decisive moment? n. Both are confused in a hug l? Tears at the verdict while weeping relatives withdrew after learning the news.

The incident occurred the night of 3 July 2006 while the dealer was on pasad Yauco? To his family on the beach The Jungle Gu? Nica. La teor? To defense has always been that the four j? Venes reached the beach and began to shoot the daughter of the accused. It was ah? when the man immediately went out? in defense of his daughter and uneven? against j? Venes, quit? giving them life against a multitude of bathroom ists.

Wow.

I recall this story from when it happened.
    The guys daughter was sexually assaulted so he went and got a gun to track down the accused, and did them all....as I recall.
    His claim of self-defense was then related to his running up on them, as the aggressor, as they were in a group at a beach located event.

It's been some time though so I could be foggy.
    I'll try to find the original news report which was then major and even made it to the US national news.

Edit:
    Incorrect, wrong story.

Man in Puerto Rico kills four for gunplay on beach
    Agencia EFE ^ | 4 July 2006 | Staff

Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 6:53:28 PM by Bangupjob

San Juan, Jul 4 (EFE).- Four men who fired off guns on a beach in southern Puerto Rico were killed by an angry father who mistakenly thought his daughter had been struck by one of their shots, police said Tuesday.

Ernesto Albarran, 19; Cristian Flores, 21; Armando Castro, 25, and his brother Angel, 20, fired shots Monday night on La Jungla beach in the town of Guanica, according to the preliminary investigation.

Adan Torres Quiñones noticed the gunplay and thought his daughter had been hit when he saw her throw herself on the sand to dodge the bullets. Enraged, he pursued the four men and shot them, firing 22 shots in all.

The 41-year-old Torres surrendered to police and was being held in the southern city de Ponce. EFE jm/dr

Source - http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/1660388/posts
    - Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Thanks for clearing that up Jang.
    The comments section in your link makes an interesting read.
    22 shots fired at armed men! Wow. You'd think that in all that time it took to shoot that many times he would have had time to think things through!

Too bad it looked like the kids were just having fun firing their guns off on the beach and it got out of hand.

It's a shame the Father didn't check on his daughter before he went after them.

I lived in Puerto Rico back in the early 60's and have always wanted to go back. What a cool place to be when you are 10, 11, and 12 years old. We lived across from the beach and played Pirates almost everyday. We had cliffs and caves to play in not to mention swimming in the ocean any time we wanted. Dad was stationed at the Air Force Base on the Northwest corner of the island. I knew some locals that were very good friends.

What finally came up on the local news was that the 4 guys opened fire on the merchant's daughter at the beach, who returned fire and rushed the vehicle the 4 guys were at, while firing his pistol all the way up to the window. It was like 15-20 ft from were he started firing, all the way up to the car. 11 shots were fire total if I'm not mistaken. Media tried to paint the matter as if it was premeditated. The guy had prior runings with the 4 and had called them in to the Police and had evidence about it. He is inocent in my book. The family of the 4 killed is mad as hell because, as usual, the 4 guys just shot a few rounds off at the merchant and didn't deserve to get killed (I wonder what the hell they deserved on their minds).
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    What finally came up on the local news was that the 4 guys opened fire on the merchant's daughter at the beach, who returned fire and rushed the vehicle the 4 guys were at, while firing his pistol all the way up to the window. It was like 15-20 ft from were he started firing, all the way up to the car. 11 shots were fire total if I'm not mistaken. Media tried to paint the matter as if it was premeditated. The guy had prior runings with the 4 and had called them in to the Police and had evidence about it. He is inocent in my book. The family of the 4 killed is mad as hell because, as usual, the 4 guys just shot a few rounds off at the merchant and didn't deserve to get killed (I wonder what the hell they deserved on their minds).
    That's what happens when a bunch of punks play with fire...they get burned. I'm glad that Mr. Torres (don Adán) was found not guilty. Now he has to watch out for possible retaliation - I hope he kept the gun.

Gracias por el reporte, mi pana - sabor. (don't try to translate, it won't make sense)
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Links