7 Year Old Fires Gun at School Bus Stop

7 Year Old Fires Gun at School Bus Stop

This is a discussion on 7 Year Old Fires Gun at School Bus Stop within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This school is two miles from my house. So what do you think, would you support charges for the parents? I have a 6 year ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 Year Old Fires Gun at School Bus Stop

Thumbs down 7 Year Old Fires Gun at School Bus Stop

This school is two miles from my house.

So what do you think, would you support charges for the parents?

I have a 6 year old and a 4 year old. If my gun isn't on my hip it's in a safe. I support charging the parents. There are laws in Nevada that prohibit a person under the age of 14 having access to a firearm.

A Ries Elementary School student is in custody for having a loaded gun at a school bus stop.

Police say the 7-year-old student brought the gun to the bus stop and while showing it to another student, accidentally fired it. The bullet struck a parked car.

Police say the parents may face possible charges.
    Police Investigate Child with Loaded Gun at School Bus Stop - Las Vegas Now

They've added additional details to the article.

A Ries Elementary School student is in serious trouble for having a loaded gun at a school bus stop Friday morning.

Police say the 7-year-old student brought the gun to the bus stop and while showing it to another student, fired it and struck a parked utility vehicle.

The Clark County School District says there were 46 children waiting at the bus stop near Blue Diamond and Decatur when the second grader began showing kids the 9mm gun.

"It is an unfortunate incident and of course we do not know all the details behind this and what he was thinking but it is a very scary thought to think that a 7-year-old is in possession of a gun," said Sgt. Darnell Couthen, CCSD Police.

The school bus driver was told of the gun and reported it to authorities.

Police are investigating who owns the gun and how it got into the boy's possession. Police say the boy did try to ditch the gun at the bus stop but police located it.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Yes, I supporting charges for being idiotic and leaving your gun where your kids can get to it and potentially shoot someone at a bus stop.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

I second the fact that parents are responsible for this

I have a large safe where all guns/ammo are locked in & a small quick access "gun vault" for our 2 edc pistols. That way at least 2 pistols are available very quickly (even in the dark) & are locked away where my little guy cant get at them
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

No Christmas for Lil Johnny.....ever.

Yes.

Charges for both parents, not just the 'registered owner'.
    Firearms and ammunition are to be secured from unauthorized access by children as within the home. Even if there is no state law requiring as much.

Child endangerment.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Police are investigating who owns the gun and how it got into the boy's possession. Police say the boy did try to ditch the gun at the bus stop but police located it.
    If the gun belongs to a parent, then yes they need to be prosecuted. But, we might want to wait and see where the gun came from. In a large metro area like Las Vegas, there is a slight possibility that he found the gun.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Why not be responsible parents and teach children not to play with guns. I see children out in public acting like little heathens. A 6 mos. old dog can be taught to not bark without a reason, sit, and come on command. Does that mean a 6 mos. old dog is smarter than most children? NO! What it means is most parents are too ignorant to teach children. Children can be taught to not play with real guns, and the difference between real and toy guns. Larry

Not familar with the neighborhood, but in some neighborhoods 7 year olds can buy guns. Before I decided the parents should be charged I would want to know where the gun came from. Then again parents are responsible for childrens actions. Maybe if they locked up the parents of kids commiting crimes parents would stay on top of childrens activities.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Charges should and will be filled. Parents were not responsible. Guns don't kill people, 7 yr old gang bangers do.
    Randy
    Law Enforcement Armorer
    NRA
    GOA
    Range Officer
    Advice is seldom welcome; and those who want it the most always like it the least.

The incident should be investigated and those responsible should be appropriately charged.

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

NRA Life Member

Some adult is responsible for the dangerous actions of this 7 year old. Doesn't necessarily mean jail time, but certainly more than a warning...$$$ talks loudly.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

So what do you think, would you support charges for the parents?
    If their specific actions were negligent, absolutely. Can't imagine why not, 'cause the 7yr old child isn't going to be very good at adhering to rules and regs, unless he/she has been raised exceedingly well in a gun-friendly and safety-aware home. Depends on the circumstances, of course. The mere fact the child had a gun doesn't mean the parents had anything to do with it. However, the parents' specific actions or non-actions, though, are what should be looked at. And so they will be. It's definitely time for these parents to lawyer up.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Can't imagine why not, 'cause the 7yr old child isn't going to be very good at adhering to rules and regs, unless he/she has been raised exceedingly well in a gun-friendly and safety-aware home.
    You got that exactly right. At 7 YO I was surrounded by loaded guns of all types....Business defense. And at that age I was shooting a 22 regularly under strict control and supervision. And, at that age I had shot a 30-06.........My insistence, but my, how it did kick.
    Back to the topic: I knew exactly what a gun would do, could do and I knew not to touch one unsupervised.
    Tough call for authorities. Probably many details we do not know.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by oldogy View Post
    Tough call for authorities. Probably many details we do not know.
    IMO, it's an exceptionally simple call for police and the D.A., if in fact the parents' actions materially contributed to the child obtaining that loaded gun. It simply depends on the basic facts of their actions, and the relation of those actions to the gun in the child's hands.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links