"Guns to blame for shootings" - What an idiot!

This is a discussion on "Guns to blame for shootings" - What an idiot! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Guns to blame for shootings | newsleader.com | The News Leader The numbers from the latest shootings — 13 dead and 35 wounded, including a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Guns to blame for shootings" - What an idiot!

"Guns to blame for shootings" - What an idiot!

Guns to blame for shootings | newsleader.com | The News Leader

The numbers from the latest shootings — 13 dead and 35 wounded, including a pregnant woman. Do we add the unborn child or not, since it is legal in America to kill unborn children?

All the news accounts and opinion pages talk about the mental health system or the religious beliefs of the shooter. I have a new flash: We will never be able to control or account for undiagnosed mental illness or religious fanaticism.

What is the common element in all the mass killings? The answer, of course, is guns. The NRA gave $50 million to try and defeat President Obama, and when that failed, they spread paranoia that caused a run on handguns, assault weapons and ammunition among the fanatics who care more about their toys than they do about human life, even the lives of their own children and grandchildren.

The NRA is the biggest ally of the terrorists. Twelve thousand Americans are killed by guns every year, four times as many as were killed on 9-11.

When are we Americans going to come to our senses and start getting rid of these guns that have no sporting or hunting use? Where are the mothers, grandparents, teachers, school administrators, law enforcement officers and medical professionals who should be screaming for the repeal of the Second Amendment?
    The servicemen and women, the students and innocent bystanders could be our family members. Do we all have to lose a loved one before we become outraged? Are we going to continue to elect politicians who have the highest NRA rating?

DAVID W. DRIVER Staunton
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    Guns to blame for shootings | newsleader.com | The News Leader

The When are we Americans going to come to our senses and start getting rid of these guns that have no sporting or hunting use? Where are the mothers, grandparents, teachers, school administrators, law enforcement officers and medical professionals who should be screaming for the repeal of the Second Amendment?

DAVID W. DRIVER Staunton
    What?

Is this guy glue sniffing??

I think this guy needs to engage brain and do a little reaserch, on let see.......UK ........... Austrialia...... No right to possess firearms in these countries, but has that stopped gun crime going up??? No

What's next? Cars, knives, bats, chairs, rope, and many more items?
    I have a clever idea, how about we just give looooooong prison sentences without early release for 'good behavior'?
    Illegally use a gun...and you're done!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

the same could be said for the common element in all the mass killings is they occur in gun free zones. increase gun free zones, increase opportunity. could also be said they're committed by the mentally ill and religious fanatics. and just as much as you can't control and account for all of the mentally ill and religious fanatics, you can't account for and completely control all the illegally sold/obtained guns in the whole united states of america. do they not unerstand, crime WILL always happen, regardless of availability of weapon. like what bob said up there look at countries that have banned guns...

Wow. Maybe I should start skiing without poles....those might be dangerous weapons too. DARN....my skis have sharp edges, more weapons yet!

He's so right. Let's release this guy, I mean, he did absolutely nothing wrong. Let's put his gun on trial. We'll have to have someone carry it into the courtroom and put it on the chair and stuff, but man, we'll show it! Yea, FN 5.7, I got a jail cell for you right here! Show that gun how much wrong it did, pointing itself and pulling its own trigger like that, after buying itself and loading itself. Why, I bet the Major was pulled out of bed that day by the gun, and the gun forced him to hold the gun and pretend like he was shooting it! But as we all know, guns are never shot by anyone, they always point and pull their own triggers. The conspiracy that guns require someone to shoot them is such a crock. It's a lie spread by the NRA, and Fox News. Yup. And Glenn Beck.

Oh and the shooting was Bush's fault. No wait, it was the gun's fault. Wait, no, it was Bush's fault. Wait, I don't know, my weak mind cannot decide between what ridiculous illogical conclusion I will leap to next!

Anyway, what this gentlemen fails to realize (among many other things) is that the base WAS the ultimate gun-free zone. Otherwise this probably would have never happened, or would've been a far smaller event. It would be his dream. "And... what? How is it possible? I don't understand? Criminals and terrorists don't follow laws? " Hmm...

His own argument comes back and kicks him in the face. That's what happens when you try to use logic but have no understanding of what logic is.

VIP Member
    Seems people that left comments on the site this was posted are letting the writer of thisknow how misguided his views are, even a woman who doesn't like guns!

Here's a proper editorial written by the always great Dr. Lott.

Shouldn't an army base be the last place where a terrorist should be able to shoot at people uninterrupted for 10 minutes? After all, an army base is filled with soldiers who carry guns, right? Unfortunately, that is not the case. Beginning in March 1993, under the Clinton administration, the army forbids military personnel from carrying their own personal firearms and mandates that "a credible and specific threat against [Department of the Army] personnel [exist] in that region" before military personnel "may be authorized to carry firearms for personal protection." Indeed, most military bases have relatively few military police as they are in heavy demand to serve in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The unarmed soldiers could do little more than cower as Major Nidal Malik Hasan stood on a desk and shot down into the cubicles in which his victims were trapped. Some behaved heroically, such as private first class Marquest Smith who repeatedly risked his life removing five soldiers and a civilian from the carnage. But, being unarmed, these soldiers were unable to stop Hasan's attack.

The wife of one of the soldiers shot at Ft. Hood understood this all too well. Mandy Foster's husband had been shot but was fortunate enough not to be seriously injured. In an interview on CNN on Monday night, Mrs. Foster was asked by anchor John Roberts how she felt about her husband "still scheduled for deployment in January" to Afghanistan. Ms. Foster responded: "At least he's safe there and he can fire back, right?" -- It is hard to believe that we don't trust soldiers with guns on an army base when we trust these very same men in Iraq and Afghanistan. Unfortunately, most of CNN's listeners probably didn't understand the rules that Ms. Foster was referring to.

The law-abiding, not the criminals, are the ones who obey the ban on guns. Instead of making areas safe for victims, the bans make it safe for the criminal. Hasan not only violated the army's ban on carrying a gun, he also apparently violated the rules that require soldiers to register privately owned guns at the post.

Research shows that allowing individuals to defend themselves dramatically reduces the rates of multiple victim public shootings. Even if attacks still occur, having civilians with permitted concealed handguns limits the damage. A major factor in determining how many people are harmed by these killers is the amount of time that elapses between when the attack starts and someone is able to arrive on the scene with a gun. Ten minutes must have seemed like an eternity to those trapped in the attack at Ft. Hood. All the multiple victim public shootings in the U.S. -- in which more than three people have been killed -- have all occurred in places where concealed handguns have been banned.

For several days now, some in the media and various gun control groups have focused on a so-called "cop killer" gun that Hasan used. The five-seven is a conventional semi-automatic pistol. In fact, the bullets that it fires are relatively small, only being in the .22 caliber class. Unlike rifles, even higher caliber handguns don't fire publicly available ammunition at sufficient velocity to penetrate a police officer's vest. There is a special type of handgun ammunition that can penetrate some types of body armor, but under federal law it is not legal to manufacture or import that ammunition for sale to the public.

For the safety of our soldiers and citizens, we hope that this simple fact about the Ft. Hood attack and the role that gun-free zones played in allowing yet another multiple victim public shooting becomes part of the news coverage itself. The political debate about guns would be quite different if even once in a while a news story clearly explained that there has been another multiple victim public shooting in a gun-free zone.

John R. Lott, Jr. is a FoxNews.com contributor. He is an economist and author of "More Guns, Less Crime."

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    This is wrong on so many levels. This guy is just an idiot...

What is the common element in all the mass killings? The answer, of course, is guns.
    What about 9/11, World Trade Center Bombing, Oklahoma City Bombing, USS Cole, Olympics bombing in Atlanta??? No guns there.

fanatics who care more about their toys than they do about human life, even the lives of their own children and grandchildren.
    I really resent that.

The NRA is the biggest ally of the terrorists
    Um, no it is not.

getting rid of these guns that have no sporting or hunting use?
    Use can be changed. Most firearms are actually pretty similar. A hunting rifle can murder just as quickly as an evil assault rifle.

[people] who should be screaming for the repeal of the Second Amendment?
    Fortunately, not everyone is as ill-informed as you.

It is interesting that the whole goal of terrorism is to instill fear into the population at large. Terrorist don't have the strength to win a battle outright so instead they use their limited influence to cause large public panic. This guy is obviously scared to death which means the terrorists (he so despises) have succeed.

We cannot allow or morals and principals to weaken in the threat of violence.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

So Mothers Against Drunk Drivers should be changed to Mothers Against Cars. Now I get it.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Well, in another thread I gave a great example of a mass shooting that took place in Western Australia--where only cops and gangsters have guns. A MuyTai studio, part of a larger chain of studios was attacked by gangsters. One man was beaten to death outside the studio with a bat; several others were shot dead inside.

Then--- title": "Cafe shooting gym-link probed",
    "url": "http://news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,,26181805-2761,00.html",
    "inspectUrl": "",
    "desc": "POLICE probing a drive-by shooting today at a Perth Lebanese cafe believe it may be linked with a gym shooting at Wangara two weeks ago.",

My gosh. Gangland shootings where guns are outlawed. Who would'a thought.

No gun laws do not equate to no gun crime. Just like anti-drug laws don't equal an absence of drugs from the streets.

A man with the brain power that Hassan had could have found other means to his end. Perhaps it is testimony to his mental infirmity that he didn't build a bomb filled with nails.

Hell just remove our brains and be done with it. The brain is the best and most DANGEROUS weapon.
    ~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    So he's OK with guns that are used for hunting/sporting.

I assume by hunting he means bolt rifles, muzzleloaders, shotguns, and large caliber handguns.

By sporting, I'm going to assume 3 gun, IDPA, skeet, etc.
    That should cover semi automatic handguns, semi automatic rifles, shotguns...

I'm not sure what guns he's against :D
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

"...the fanatics who care more about their toys than they do about human life, even the lives of their own children and grandchildren."

I care enough about my family to keep a firearm around in case some criminal comes on the scene and tries to hurt /kill them. That's the primary reason I have my firearms. I'm sure too that lots of, if not most, people with CCWs care enough about human life that they would willingly risk their lives and use their weapons to save the innocent. Every time I hear about some piece of human garbage abducting and killing some kid, or hear about some carjacker killing someone as they take their car, or hear about a store-owner being shot during a robbery, I wish I'd somehow been there with a firearm to stop the act.

The people who hold the view that DAVID W. DRIVER holds are magnitudes more of a danger to other human beings than the law-abiding gun owner. This article just makes me more determined in my opposition to them and their agenda.
    The first rule of self-defense is to avoid the situation. The second rule is Train and Prepare.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    What's next? Cars, knives, bats, chairs, rope, and many more items?
    I have a clever idea, how about we just give looooooong prison sentences without early release for 'good behavior'?
    Illegally use a gun...and you're done!
    Forget looooooong prison sentences. Let's use the death penalty as it should be. And let's use the guillotine to do it. That's my suggestion.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links