Statistics show concealed carry saves many lives, takes few

This is a discussion on Statistics show concealed carry saves many lives, takes few within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Interesting paper: Link to Article...

Thread: Statistics show concealed carry saves many lives, takes few

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

Interesting paper:

Link to Article

2. Remove Ads

Good read and thank you for posting it craig.
    ~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Yes, it is a great read. Thanks for posting.

It's a very informative read;

one of statistics that convinced me to carry was this: even when a legal CCW has to pull his gun - which by law is when his life is in danger - 80% of the time the BG runs away at the sight of it. My conclusion, what was going to be a violent crime ends in being stopped, and being stopped with NO ONE injured the great majority of the time. Plus the police are on the scene fast when you report it, have a good description and witness in you - everyone else he attacked could be dead or gravely injured and could give no description. This is likely the best opportunity the cops have had to find him if he's a repeat offender. In which case, a violent crime that would have happened doesn't, no injury to anyone results , and a further bonus: now the guy may actually be caught and prosecuted. That gun the CCW had did a LOT for everyone. All with no injury....

VIP Member
    Excellent, thanks for posting.

Good read, thanks. I just wish more people would take the time to understand this subject. I'm not talking about the Brady bunch or their cronies either, they choose to hate firearms in any fashion and for any reason. I am speaking more about the masses of population we call sheep, those who really don't understand about our desire to defend ourselves with a firearm if necessary.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Very good read!!!!!

hamlet: The fact you posted about the 80% of crime prevented by the armed victim just displaying their weapon is very encouraging.

VIP Member
    You may have noticed that "...the Collegiate Times are property of the Educational Media Company at Virginia Tech."

November 9th – 14th is Defense Education Week, hosted by Students for Concealed Carry on Campus at colleges across the country and the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus at Virginia Tech did a great job.

see: Students for Concealed Carry on Campus at Virginia Tech
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    According to a study by criminologist Gary Kleck of Florida State University, there are approximately 2.5 million cases of people using firearms for self-defense in America each year. End Quote

I do not believe that statistic.
    I would have to know how he arrived at it, and suspect that there was a lot of extrapolation involved. I suppose that if one were to include gangs and drug shootings it might come up to that number, but until I can see something that an official and neutral organization verifies such a number I will remain very sceptical.

I haven't seen a statistic that indicates 2.5 million people are attacked each year. I would like to see whatever the FBI's figures show.

It is a good read, however.

I think we should be very careful when we give statistics, and should have a reliable source for them

Regards,
    Jerry

Thursday, November 12, 2009

by Andrew Buyalos, guest columnist

First of all, let me begin by saying that Elilta Habtu submitted a well-written and well-researched article in Thursday’s paper. I was impressed at her determination to go through the process of obtaining a concealed carry weapon permit for the sake of the column. I do, however, wish to dispute some of her findings.

As a CCW permit holder, I am legally able to carry a concealed handgun for my personal protection in all but a few places. I am a current student at this great university, and have been a lifelong hunter as well as an avid participant in the shooting sports. My love of hunting and target shooting has led me, through experience and a hunter’s safety course, to be very comfortable and safety-conscience when handling firearms.

Whereas I have learned safe firearms training through my own determination, Habtu readily admitted that she had no experience or any desire to carry a handgun when she applied for her permit. The majority of people who are going to apply for permits are those who are already comfortable with firearms and wish to be able to legally protect themselves. As a member of the Virginia Tech Clay Target Team, I have many friends who either currently carry or plan on carrying in the future. We are all competent with firearms, and we have all taken classes to receive our permit.

If Habtu were actually planning on carrying and wished to actually know what she was doing, she would take the initiative to attend a classroom version of the CCW permit class. I will agree with her that the online class requirement seems easy to pass. This is a new amendment to the requirements. People who wish to do harm usually do not go through the process to become CCW permit holders. Habtu failed to mention the real deterrent to a criminal in receiving a permit, something that makes it much more difficult to obtain one than she admits to. The permit requires you to submit fingerprints and have a background check, something that a typical criminal would not submit to. In my opinion, the online class makes it easier for legal, eligible, upstanding citizens to mark off one step of the process. Those who wish to do harm to others wouldn’t bother to go through the process of obtaining a permit or taking classes. Denying responsible permit holders from carrying does nothing to stop the gun violence of criminals.

Habtu’s article also brings up the statistic that four CCW permit holders have committed firearms-related murder this year, four in almost an entire year. How many crimes are committed each year by people illegally carrying firearms or with illegal firearms themselves? The U.S. Department of Justice states on its Web site that of the 16,137 murders in 2004, 66 percent or 10,650 were committed with firearms. The four occurrences she has listed seem to be outweighed by this statistic. The Texas Department of Public Safety released a study in May of 1999 that showed that permit holders in Texas accounted for 0.246 percent of all aggravated assault crimes that involved a deadly weapon, four out of 1,629 convictions. It also shows that there were 3,303 convictions for people unlawfully carrying a weapon: One percent of these were permit holders. In the year 1999 the rate of murder convictions for permit holders in Texas was zero percent. There were none. I think that you will find that the ratio of crimes committed by permit holders to total permit holders is a tiny percentage compared to crimes committed by those without permits.

Permit holders have had to prove to a court that they are upstanding citizens with clean records. They are statistically the safest and most well informed people to be carrying guns, so the law allows them to. How many lives have been saved this year by those carrying concealed handguns? The article “Richmond Store owner grateful for man who shot owner” (Richmond Times Dispatch, July 15), tells the story about a shooting in a convenience store that is not far from my home near Richmond. On July 13, 2009, a man entered the Golden Food Market on Jefferson Davis Highway in south Richmond. The man entered the store, shot and wounded the clerk, and fired at several of the store patrons before being wounded and subdued by a gunshot from a CCW permit holder who was in the store.

Police determined that the shooter had run out of bullets and was attempting to reload at which point he was shot by the permit holder. In this case, the permit holder saved the lives of the eight people in the store. News reports also stated that the other citizens in the store urged the permit holder to shoot the man again and kill him. The permit holder refused and calmly awaited the arrival of police. There are a significant number of these cases in the U.S. each year. According to a study by criminologist Gary Kleck of Florida State University, there are approximately 2.5 million cases of people using firearms for self-defense in America each year. Also, according to the Department of Justice’s 2007 Uniformed Crime Report, states with right-to-carry laws have a 30 percent lower homicide rate, as well as a 46 percent lower robbery rate. Four shootings by permit holders continues to be a tiny minority in gun crimes statistics.

I will finish by saying that I fully support concealed carry on campuses, and I hope that in a life or death situation someone with a CCW is around. Statistics prove that the smartest and most responsible citizens carrying guns are permit holders. Do you think a deranged person is going to worry about whether or not he has a permit to carry? No; it’s the responsible people who care about those around them that choose to concealed carry. God forbid that Tech, or any other institution, experience a tragedy such as that of April 16, 2007. However, if a tragedy such as that were to occur, I could only hope to have the safety of Tech’s concealed carry permit holders.
    Here is the article. Always helps to make it available.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Links