Arkansas Police Use Taser on 10-Year-Old Girl - Page 3

Arkansas Police Use Taser on 10-Year-Old Girl

This is a discussion on Arkansas Police Use Taser on 10-Year-Old Girl within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Guns and more A year ago, you wouldn't believe a cop would taser a ten yr. old. Beware the slippery slope. He ...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Arkansas Police Use Taser on 10-Year-Old Girl

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    A year ago, you wouldn't believe a cop would taser a ten yr. old.

Beware the slippery slope.

He needs to go back to the academy and learn self defense. If a 10 yr. old can beat up on him to the point he feels a taser is his only option, imagine what an adult could do to him.
    You're missing the point of the Taser and its intended use. It is not to punish or even defend. It is to gain control with minimum risk to the officer and suspect.
    Most department policy has the Taser written as one step above verbal command. In other words, give lawful order, its ignored, you deploy Taser. The bean counters and lawyers want to take the old fashioned hands on police work out of use.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Anytime a police officer is called into any form of domestic, it is almost always a no win situation. If the officer in question had done nothing he would have failed in his duty.
    If he put her on the ground and handcuffed her he would have been called for excessive force. Especially if he had injured an arm or shoulder while cuffing a subject that is resisting.
    The taser when used properly is the least punishing of all. It stops the subjects fighting and gives the officer an opportunity to gain control.
    It is a wonder to me that the police officers don't just quit and leave it with us.
    Doesn't seem that they can do anything right anymore.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Our police responded to an out of control child only to find a preschool boy acting out with his mother. They gave her the cards with counselor information etc and warned her not to call 911. She called city hall and complained to me. I suggested she needed the counselor, not the boy. The school counselor contacted her at my request and she refused to cooperate. I expect we will see that child in juvi in eight or ten years.

How well would you take to getting kicked in the nuts?

It's the video games!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    While tasers clearly have their proper use and place in the range of things to be done, they are potentially lethal as has been demonstrated by very many deaths associated with their use.

However much they have been tested on healthy adults, their use on adults with heart disease (rhythm issues) is necessarily problematic; and there are plenty of adults walking around with such issues.

NOW, is there any safety evidence one way or the other concerning this device on children? Is there any safety data especially with younger children?

Pre-adolescent children, and even younger adolescents are NOT just small adults. Their bodies work differently.

Without safety data on tasers with respect to kids that age I would think the use of the taser is utterly irresponsible. It is as irresponsible as using a baton to the head or a gun.

If the kid died, who would we blame? Mom? The Cop? Both? The taser manufacturer?

You don't use potentially lethal force on a ten year old!!!!

You don't use lethal force on a ten year old.

If you can't think of a better way you shouldn't be dealing with kids.

Distinguished Member
    Here's my take on it.

If a responding officer can't handle this situation without resorting to electric shock, maybe he/she should call my 90-year-old grandmother for backup.

I can say with absolute certainty that she han handle a ten-year-old. She's done so on more occasions than I can count.

When she twists a kid's ear, it can't kill them, but it will sure as hell hurt like a sonofagun, and get their attention quick.

My $.02

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Some of you have seen 'Men Who Stare at Goats'. This movie reminds me of the way dad raised my brothers and I. All he had to do was glare at us and we fell over. I do not understand modern parents. Call the police because a kid will not obey?

You have no control over your kids due to the fact the government has taken it away and will put you in jail for spanking them.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    While tasers clearly have their proper use and place in the range of things to be done, they are potentially lethal as has been demonstrated by very many deaths associated with their use.
    There are many more deaths associated with H2H control techniques and even pepper spray.

However much they have been tested on healthy adults, their use on adults with heart disease (rhythm issues) is necessarily problematic; and there are plenty of adults walking around with such issues.
    So what? I guess if you have heart problems it probably isn't a good idea to wrestle around with the cops.

NOW, is there any safety evidence one way or the other concerning this device on children? Is there any safety data especially with younger children?
    Yes there is. It is available from Taser Intl. It has been tested and proven physiologically safe is persons as young as 7.

Without safety data on tasers with respect to kids that age I would think the use of the taser is utterly irresponsible. It is as irresponsible as using a baton to the head or a gun.
    Oh really? I'm pretty sure a head blow with a baton or a gun shot is classified by every expert in field as lethal force no matter the age; at the same time, nobody classify's the Taser as lethal force. It is at the lowest scale of force, even below classic joint manipulation or OC.
    I wonder why that is...

If the kid died, who would we blame? Mom? The Cop? Both? The taser manufacturer?
    You don't use potentially lethal force on a ten year old!!!!

You don't use lethal force on a ten year old.

If you can't think of a better way you shouldn't be dealing with kids.
    I agree, you shouldn't use lethal force on a ten year old. And the experts agree, nobody did here.
    You should use the least amount of force required to gain control of the suspect. If its a ten year old that is shooting at you, are you going to reason with him? Or give him a cookie and tell his mother? Do you have any idea what level of force groin strikes are? Some consider it lethal, depending on how many levels the continuum is.
    Who do we blame if the kid dies? Here is a novel idea; blame the person who started the chain of events.

And yes, for the most part, cops should not be dealing with kids. Because the parents don't, the job often falls into the cops lap. It shouldn't be, but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    Here's my take on it.

If a responding officer can't handle this situation without resorting to electric shock, maybe he/she should call my 90-year-old grandmother for backup.

I can say with absolute certainty that she han handle a ten-year-old. She's done so on more occasions than I can count.

When she twists a kid's ear, it can't kill them, but it will sure as hell hurt like a sonofagun, and get their attention quick.

My $.02
    And your grandmother doesn't have testicles either.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    I feel bad for that parent because she call an LEO to help discipline her child. She is the poster-girl for weak parenting. As a child when an adult told me told me to do something I did or I would've suffered the consequences.

I also feel bad for the LEO because he actually took instructions from this woman to taser a 10 year old child. Maybe this guy should reevaluate his career choice.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    And your grandmother doesn't have testicles either.
    All the more reason to send her.

In other words, give lawful order, its ignored, you deploy Taser.
    I believe you. I have spoken to city cops. I believe their departments are willfully lying to LEO's on the dangers of the taser.
    Wait until you taser some granny and she dies from a heart attack.
    LEO's are enjoying "pain compliance" a little too much.

And what exactly is a "lawful order"? My former neighbor, a sheriff's Sargent, used to brag on how he dragged women out of the car window by their hair if they didn't move fast enough.

I guess if you pull me over and say "Open the trunk." I'll get tasered too.

VIP Member

Don't believe it Sixto

Yes there is. It is available from Taser Intl.
    Don't believe it. You reckon they got 10 year old volunteers and did physiological studies on their little body's reactions to the shock? How the heck would Taser know one way or the other if it is safe on kids? They'd be prosecuted for child abuse if they tried to do any such testing.

The Taser is untested in children; it is proven potentially lethal and is in fact deadly in a small number of apparently healthy adults.

Its use on a 10 year old is utterly irresponsible and anyone doing that is --if there is a bad outcome-- is going to inevitably have a charge lodged against them. And properly so.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I believe you. I have spoken to city cops. I believe their departments are willfully lying to LEO's on the dangers of the taser.
    Wait until you taser some granny and she dies from a heart attack.
    LEO's are enjoying "pain compliance" a little too much.
    It isnt about pain compliance. Yes, the Taser is painful, but pain is not how you gain compliance with the Taser. Simply stated, the Taser does not work through pain.

Granny will have that heart attack if I go hands on and wrestle her or if I tase her. What looks worse?

If there is lying (and I dont think there is) its not the departments. It is Taser Intl., the medical community, the DOJ and countless university researchers.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links