Arkansas Police Use Taser on 10-Year-Old Girl

This is a discussion on Arkansas Police Use Taser on 10-Year-Old Girl within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Random Only problem with that is that the person giving the order will always think it's lawful. Whether it actually is doesn't ...

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Arkansas Police Use Taser on 10-Year-Old Girl

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Only problem with that is that the person giving the order will always think it's lawful. Whether it actually is doesn't matter much to the person being tazed, until well after the fact.
    All the more reason not to argue curbside.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    As a ten year old we'd get "shocked" all the time whenever we killed the engine on the lawnmower.

I think the taser is a great tool, too bad that parents have to call the police on their own kids. When I was growing up I never heard of a kid so unruly that the police were needed. Dad's were real men then, just a glance at my Dad's demeanor was instant compliance.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Landor View Post
    Nothing..

If a cop can't subdue a 10 year old without a taser then something is wrong.

This has political correctness written all over it.

Just my opinion. :)
    Surely the parent could have subdued the 10 year old without a taser. A cop's actions in a situation like this will likely be consistent with his training, his agency policies and procedures, and his assessment of the safest and most expedient way to accomplish the task. If the parent doesn't need a cop after all then why call one?

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    All the more reason not to argue curbside.
    Perhaps, but I think that too many people doing that is a step towards loss of liberty.

Senior Moderator
    Perhaps, but I think that too many people doing that is a step towards loss of liberty.
    Nah. Most people will argue about things they have no knowledge of. This thread about use of tasers is proof.

Some people just like to argue.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Nah. Most people will argue about things they have no knowledge of. This thread about use of tasers is proof.

Some people just like to argue.
    Amen.

Administrator
    Perhaps you are right, but the only person who is going to lose his liberty is you; in a big way.

A smart man not only picks his battles, but he also chooses the proper venue.
    "Just blame Sixto"

There is a difference between having a discussion and arguing, whether it be curbside or anyplace else for that matter.

If your having a discussion with a LEO the likelyhood of getting tasered is pretty slim I would guess. If your arguing with them well the odds probably go up considerably.

To date I have never had a LEO request anything out of the ordinary that would seem unlawful. I don't anticipate that changing as long as I stay away from certain parts of the country.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member

for Paramedic, slightly off topic

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post

Funny thing, when he calms down, he verbalizes that he needs help, because he can't control himself. He has even hinted at visions of beasts, which has brought us to consider an exorcism.
    Paramedic,
    What you describe is way outside the bounds of normative behavior for a 10 year old and you are right to have taken the child for counseling.

However, please pay attention to his comments about visions. Make certain the counselor AND the child's medical doctor know about that.

You son sounds a tad like a 17 year old experiencing the symptoms and behavior of schizophrenia. I have no idea if this disease affects children that young or not.

Please, for your sake and your child's sake, make certain the bad behavior is not a manifestation of a serious disorder. Frankly, if I had a child behaving like that one of the first things I would do is consult a pediatric neurologist or a pediatric psychiatrist or both. I'd want to do everything possible to make sure there is no hidden physical issue underlying this situation.

And I sincerely wish you the very best getting this difficult situation resolved.

I am not a very big guy 5'7" and 140 lbs but I have never seen a 10 year old that could take me. If the officer could not handle a 10 yr old girl then he needs to look at getting another job. JMHO

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmend View Post
    I am not a very big guy 5'7" and 140 lbs but I have never seen a 10 year old that could take me. If the officer could not handle a 10 yr old girl then he needs to look at getting another job. JMHO
    You are missing the point. Of course the officer could "take" the kid.

At what cost? He takes an out of control kid to the car kicking and screaming and the kid smacks his head on the door of the car going in and knocks himself out. Now, he goes to the E.R. (not cheap) gets an MRI (expensive) to makesure there is no further damage,along with multiple Xrays (expensive) and guess who gets to foot the bill?

Thats right, YOU do, in the same way that you pay for a drunk driver anytime he kills someone.

See why the taser is the lesser of two evils?

In the long run its cheaper than the alternative.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member

For Sixto--a personal experience

[QUOTE=SIXTO;1377119]Hopyard, I agree with you to a point. Since you brought up paying attention, lets take another look and the very first sentance in the news story;

I can think of three laws that were broken just from reading the story.
    1st was unruly child. Yes, it is a real law prosecutable in a juvenile court.
    2nd is resisting arrest.
    3rd is assaulting a P.O.
    2 and 3 both can justify the use of a Taser.

The question has been asked a few times already. If you (not just Hopyard, all the Monday morning QB's) think you know better, what is your solution? What would you have done in the same circumstance?
    Let me tell you a story to see if we can put some different light on this subject.

One day when my kiddo was about 8 years old he got up and flat out refused to go to school. He was crying and kicking, and it took both of us a considerable effort just to get his pants on.

We decided that we were not going to let him get away with telling us when he wanted to not go to school, and so we stuffed him in the car, where he continued his pitiful, tearful, tantrum. When we got to the school, he refused to get out of the car.

Very embarrassed, I left my wife with the kid and went into the school to have a chat with the principal. She kindly offered to go out to the car to see what she could do.

Ms. D (who unfortunately for many children died at an early age of breast cancer) walked out to the car and in a very soft voice asked my son if he would mind if she sat in the car with him.

Then, Ms. D told him that she wasn't going to make him come inside.
    She patted his back, patted his head, hugged him, and as he calmed down she invited him to go for a walk with her to the playground --and she told him that if he wanted to come inside he could spend the whole day with her in her office in a special playground in the office.

At some point he got out of the car, hand in hand with the principal, and as I understand it, she had a talk with his teacher and the teacher talked with the kid, and within a few minutes he was happily back in the classroom.

Now, it could easily have gone very differently. Instead of a considerate tone she could have barked an order and tried to take him from the car. Perhaps he would have kicked out at her in response. Perhaps she would have been a fool and called the police. You see where this is going.

You think it is OK to tase an 8 year old? Do you have a line? Does the company that makes that thing have a line?

Some folks know how to deal with kids and others don't, and in general, kids or not kids, you get back what you dish out. If you dish out some kindness, you can save yourself a lot of trouble.

Sixto wrote: "Ozark Police Chief Jim Noggle says one of his officers used a Taser on a 10-year-old girl who was combative when the officer tried to get the girl into a patrol car to be taken to a youth shelter."

Uh, if he was called to the house because she wouldn't take a bath there was no need for this to get to a point where the girl was "combative" when being taken to a patrol car. And what else would you expect from a child? The cop scared the crap out of her.

As far as I'm concerned there is no excuse and no explanation and no justification for what went on.
    Someone needed to be a mature adult and use some sense. Sadly, that didn't happen.

Senior Moderator
    Sounds great, but there are a few differences...

For one, the kid knew the Principal. Thus she was able to pat his back,pat his head and give him a hug.

Police have no such luxury. They are strangers in a strange environment. If a kid wont listen to his parents, why do you think he would listen to a stranger, especially in his own home?

Also, the kid knew the environment. Sticking him in the back of a patrol car will not make him feel any better or comfort him in any way.

While I do believe that kindness does work in some applications, I also know that it doesn't work in all of them. Some people do not understand kindness, because they only know and respect force and that is what it takes to get the point across.

A good parent will teach this to their kid at a young age, and have few problems through out the life of that kid.

Others never figure it out because they never learned it. Their kids are the ones that keep the Police,Jails and Court Systems with jobs and steady paychecks.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmend View Post
    Look..This isn't that difficult to understand. It's about safety and efficiency not about the officer's lack of physical ability to manage the kid. If the parent just needed someone to cowboy the kid into compliance she didn't need a cop for that. Heck, she could have called you. I'm sure you could take her.

VIP Member

Drastic step

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    . Sticking him in the back of a patrol car will not make him feel any better or comfort him in any way.

Whether you are dealing with an adult or a child, this is a drastic step. In this case it appears entirely avoidable.

I'd like to hear the tapes or see a transcript of the 911 call the mom placed. That might shed some light on this whole thing.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Links