Arkansas Police Use Taser on 10-Year-Old Girl

This is a discussion on Arkansas Police Use Taser on 10-Year-Old Girl within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What is really scary is there are people in here, fathers even that have no problem with this kid being tased so I assume they ...

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Arkansas Police Use Taser on 10-Year-Old Girl

What is really scary is there are people in here, fathers even that have no problem with this kid being tased so I assume they would have no problem with their kids being tased. What goes through an 11 year old's head when a officer wants to cuff them or take them away. Was the kid resisting arrest? Can a 11 year old even resist arrest? Do they understand or are they just so scared they just don't want to be taken away.

Look, I don't know what happened with this girl but what ever it was it seems to me that unless this 11 year old killed someone this situation was more then likely not handled right.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    My kids quit throwing tantrums when they were 2.

Never had any problems with them.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Landor View Post
    What is really scary is there are people in here, fathers even that have no problem with this kid being tased so I assume they would have no problem with their kids being tased. What goes through an 11 year old's head when a officer wants to cuff them or take them away. Was the kid resisting arrest? Can a 11 year old even resist arrest? Do they understand or are they just so scared they just don't want to be taken away.

Look, I don't know what happened with this girl but what ever it was it seems to me that unless this 11 year old killed someone this situation was more then likely not handled right.
    You got that right. If I had a 10 year old daughter I certainly would not want her tased and I most certainly WOULD NOT call a law enforcement officer to do the job I should be doing myself which is controlling my own kid. Don't call a cop for something silly like managing your 10 year old kid for you and then ***** when the officer does what he's trained to do.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    If one of my boys went ballistic and started kicking a policeman in the groin I would thank God he was tasered. Almost anything else I can imagine happening in that situation would be worse.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    What amazes me is that we have certified police officers explaining why the policy is, what it is, on the use of tasers. Then we have those that think it is wrong but don't offer any better way to handle it.
    Let's see how we would react to a video of a police officer on top of or manhandling a child.
    From reading these posts I find;
    the officer shouldn't have been there,
    shouldn't have tased the child,
    shouldn't have used cuffs, zip ties instead,
    shouldn't have arrested child,
    shouldn't have taken the child to a juvenile facility.

This is from a forum of what I call reasonable people. A cop really doesn't have a chance does he.
    In answer to another poster, if my son throws such a fit around a cop that he has to be tased, that won't be anything compared to what he'll get at home.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Senior Moderator
    A cop really doesn't have a chance does he.
    Nope.

Danged if you do and danged if you dont.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by goab View Post
    I say a leather belt settles things down.

This is ridiculous. Parents calling the law to calm their kids down. When did we go from if you did something wrong at your friend's James house you got a woopin' there and at your uncle's down the road and then from mom when you got there and dad when he got home to where we are today? Hoping the cops will come and help put our 10 year old in line? Sad.

I can remember "better turn over and move those hands or you get it where it lands"

We need those days again.
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    The sad thing is, if you do your job as a parent when things get tough, you are taking a chance that some government nanny will accuse you of abuse, lock you up, and put your kids in foster care.

If the LEO had taken the kid kicking and screaming, he could have been accused of assault.

Parents are encouraged to let the government take care of their problem children. LEOs are encouraged to use Tasers to avoid personal injury.

When the government gets too intrusive, it leaves no good options, only safe ones that are never in the best interest of a free society.
    Parents today are in fear of discipling their children but the cops can tase them. Lets see, how many good old fashion spankings ever killed anyone vs a Taser killing someone.

According to USA today 103 killed between June '01 and March '05. I'm sure many more have been spanked than have been tased.

This place is going to hell in a hand basket.

USATODAY.com - Amnesty report slams Taser, cites 103 related deaths
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Administrator
    Hopyard, I see the point you are making, and even agree with it. However, cops are cops. They are not cuddly teddy bears. They are not teachers, day care providers, or social workers. They are cops. They are there to deal with elements of society that nobody else can or wants to deal with. Cops should be rough and tough, everybody should know you don't poke the bears. This idea that cops should be ninny's and give two farts about your feelings is non sense. They enforce the law and clean up the messes. Pretending otherwise is part of society's problem now.

When you call a cop to do the job of one of the above, you get the result of this story.

The point still remains, the use of the Taser more than likely avoided a much uglier and potentially harmful incident from occurring. That is from a guy who has been there and done that hundreds of times.

I don't use my Taser unless I have to. Part of it is I don't want the stigma and all the garbage that goes with it.
    I certainly don't ever want to Tase or fight a child. It is unfortunate its sometimes part of the job. Police work can be ugly sometimes. The other part is, I enjoy a good fight. I prefer to go hands on. Is that stupid and un wise? Yup, I'll be the first to admit it. It is smarter to just tase and be done with it.

I've never had to tase a child that young, but there have been times when I probably should have. Again, all the experts in the fields relating to this and every other LEO who has chimed in on this debate happens to agree with my stance. We all can't be wrong because a couple of internet posts said so.

And still, nobody has bothered to offer a smarter solution.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator

Do I want my kid tased? Certainly not. Its my job as a parent to make sure that doesn't happen. If I should fail at that, I have nobody to blame but myself.

I also hated watching my kid being sedated prior to a surgery. That is absolutely horrifying to a parent. Watching the kid struggle with the staff (strangers, a three year old has no idea whats going on) and then go limp; but it would be even more horrifying knowing that my kid was strapped to a table not being sedated as they put tubes in his ears. See my point?

A quick nip from a drive stun technique ended what could have been a prolonged painful experience. Physically and emotionally.

Yes, an 11 year old can resist arrest.

How would you have liked the situation to be handled?
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Paramedic,
    What you describe is way outside the bounds of normative behavior for a 10 year old and you are right to have taken the child for counseling.

However, please pay attention to his comments about visions. Make certain the counselor AND the child's medical doctor know about that.

You son sounds a tad like a 17 year old experiencing the symptoms and behavior of schizophrenia. I have no idea if this disease affects children that young or not.

Please, for your sake and your child's sake, make certain the bad behavior is not a manifestation of a serious disorder. Frankly, if I had a child behaving like that one of the first things I would do is consult a pediatric neurologist or a pediatric psychiatrist or both. I'd want to do everything possible to make sure there is no hidden physical issue underlying this situation.

And I sincerely wish you the very best getting this difficult situation resolved.
    Thanks Hopyard. We have all the bases covered (I hope!). Once he finishes the testing phase he goes (back) to see a psychiatrist who specializes in peds. Their group is Christian based by the way. He has seen a ped neurologist recently for headaches. We have been concerned that there is some type of manic, depressive, bipolar, or schizophrenic component(s) to the problem. He's being tested for diabetes too, his sugars are a little off but not wildly so. I am a Type 2 and Mom is a Type 1 so... Every day was a struggle for the last month or so. I can only go home so many times before my boss decides I should just stay there! He's been better recently and just back slid last night, and unfortunately still some hints tonight as I sit at work.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member

re: paramedic off topic, re, you son

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Thanks Hopyard. We have all the bases covered (I hope!). Once he finishes the testing phase he goes (back) to see a psychiatrist who specializes in peds. Their group is Christian based by the way. He has seen a ped neurologist recently for headaches. We have been concerned that there is some type of manic, depressive, bipolar, or schizophrenic component(s) to the problem. He's being tested for diabetes too, his sugars are a little off but not wildly so. I am a Type 2 and Mom is a Type 1 so... Every day was a struggle for the last month or so. I can only go home so many times before my boss decides I should just stay there! He's been better recently and just back slid last night, and unfortunately still some hints tonight as I sit at work.
    Sounds like you are doing all you can do. I guess the only thing I would add is to keep in mind that because some sort of illness appears to be in play here, you may not be able to control the bad behavior with punishment. You might only be able to find ways to keep the behavior from causing havoc and destruction. In other words, cope.

If you want to chat, vent, rant, whatever, I'm willing to be there for you through the pm system.

VIP Member

Landor, you summed it all up. Spot on.

Above is spot on.

Ok, this happened not too far away from me. Here's a bit of an update.
    1. the child in question has been described as having "Violent emotional problems"
    2. The child was NOT Tased, the Taser was used very briefly in stun gun mode. Drive stun I believe is the correct term.
    3. The officer has been suspended for 10 days, NOT for the use of the taser, but for failing to have his attached video camera operating at the time of the taser's use.

Administrator
    Thanks for the update nightsonge. You dont happen to have a link to the local news outlet for this, do you?

I do question #3 though. The officer has no control over the camera, it turns on and off automatically with the Taser itself. The fact that he was suspended for not having the camera on doesnt make a lot of sense. I'd like to explore that a little further.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Don't have a link, it was in today's SouthWestern Times Record local Fort Smith Newspaper. I think the camera was disconnected from the taser. Not sure on that, I didn't buy a copy of the paper today. I just glanced through it at work.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Links