College Student Killed By Deer Hunter

This is a discussion on College Student Killed By Deer Hunter within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Did not see this posted already Campus Mourns Ferrum College Student Killed By Deer Hunter Ferrum, VA-- Ferrum College students say they will now take ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: College Student Killed By Deer Hunter

Did not see this posted already

Campus Mourns Ferrum College Student Killed By Deer Hunter

Ferrum, VA-- Ferrum College students say they will now take extra precautions after a shooting killed one of their classmates.

College officials say they send out warnings each year around hunting season telling students to wear bright colors. Some students tell WDBJ in Roanoke they don't recall getting that e-mail.

A college spokesperson says the e-mail was sent October 29th and it was campus wide. She says they can't force students to actually read the e-mails, so there is a strong possibility some didn't even look at it.

The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries returned to the scene of Wednesday. They are working to piece together what happened.
    Students at the school say it is hard for make sense of the shooting.

"It's definitely been hard. I didn't personally know her, but you can see people who are hurting and you just want to be together," says Ferrum College senior Devyn Bayes.

A memorial service was held Wednesday morning inside the campus chapel. Nearly 600 students attended the service to remember Jessica Goode.

Jason Cloutier of Ferrum has been charged in the incident. Officials say he was hunting on county owned property when he shot three students, killing Goode.

He had a first appearance Wednesday morning on charges of: manslaughter, reckless handling of a firearm and trespassing.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    So...is the campus right in the middle of a forest? I think I may be missing how the shooting actually happened?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Shot three students? Hunting accident? Deer hunter? He ain't no kind of hunter I ever heard of.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    So...is the campus right in the middle of a forest? I think I may be missing how the shooting actually happened?
    I don't get this either. What's missing? I'm guessing that the other two likely shouted/screamed...something after the first of them was shot....how is it that he shot 3 of them?

VIP Member
    I would think there is much more to this story than has been published.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Moderator
    They might have been lined up hiking on a trail.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

This hunter needs to go to a hunter safety course, IMO.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I do too, 3 shots - 3 students hit. Excuse : Deer Hunting. Way too much missing out of this story.

Goodle is our friend.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Goodle is our friend.
    What's a 'goodle'?

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    What's a 'goodle'?
    It is a second cousin of Google

No way I'm buying that story,either he accidently shot a student and then killed the other 2 trying to cover up the first killing,or this guy is a murderer,I have never got a deer in my sights that I couldn't tell it was a deer.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I agree.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

i found this. looks like he only fired one shot.a third student was not injured.

Jason A. Jones
    Dean of Students
    Ferrum College
    Office: 540-365-4461
    jajones@ferrum.edu

Investigators statement regarding Ferrum Incident: Conservation Police Officers with the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries have charged 31-year-old Jason D. Cloutier of Ferrum, Virginia, with Manslaughter, Reckless Handling of a Firearm, and Trespassing to Hunt stemming from an incident that occurred at approximately 4 p.m. on Tuesday, November 17, 2009, on Franklin County-owned property about a mile from the Ferrum College campus.

Jessica K. Goode, age 23, from Frederick County, Virginia, was shot and killed in the incident. Injured by the same bullet was Regis J. Boudinot, age 20, from McLean, Virginia. Mr. Boudinot is being treated at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital for non-life threatening injuries. Both attended Ferrum College and were participating in an off-campus school project when the incident occurred. Mr. Cloutier has claimed that he thought he was shooting at a deer.

Conservation Police Officers were back at the scene early this morning continuing to process additional pieces of evidence. The incident is still under investigation.

The Trespassing to Hunt and the Reckless Handling of a Firearm charges both carry a penalty of up to 12 months in jail for each and a fine of up to $2500 for each charge.

Manslaughter is a Class V felony with a penalty of a term of imprisonment of no less than 1 year nor more than 10 years.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

The shooting was bad enough, having to untie the student from the hunter's fender was a little much.

Who hunts around a college or university?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links