Why our kids are messed up

This is a discussion on Why our kids are messed up within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; School principal cuts hubby with box cutter, police say BY SCOTT SHIFREL, JAKE PEARSON AND RACHEL MONAHAN DAILY NEWS WRITERS Thursday, November 19th 2009, 4:00 ...

School principal cuts hubby with box cutter, police say

BY SCOTT SHIFREL, JAKE PEARSON AND RACHEL MONAHAN
    DAILY NEWS WRITERS
    Thursday, November 19th 2009, 4:00 AM

A public school principal was arrested on a domestic violence rap after she allegedly slashed her husband with a box cutter in a jealous rage, court records show.

At the time of the bustup, Lisa Gibbs, 41, was in charge of Brooklyn's School for Global Studies - where students were arrested last year for poisoning teachers with a laxative.

"We got into a fight about him cheating on me," Gibbs told cops after she was arrested Oct. 30, according to court records.

"I cut him with a box cutter, and he punched me in the face," said Gibbs, who had a black eye in her mug shot.

She was charged with five misdemeanors for allegedly cutting Christopher Binns, 34, on the chest, arms and neck.

He also was arrested on domestic violence charges, admitting to police he got violent when slashed.

"I punched her in the face because I was defending myself when she tried to cut me with the box cutter," he told police.

Department of Education officials said that on Nov. 2, Gibbs took a leave of absence from the Cobble Hill school - the site of previous controversies.

In 2006, a program approved by Gibbs to cut down on name-calling - which involved stickers emblazoned with slurs - caused an uproar.

Last year, three Global Studies students were hauled into court for lacing a chocolate cake with Dulcolax, sending two teachers to the hospital.

Charges were eventually dropped in the incident, a senior prank gone awry, sources said.

Gibbs - who has worked for the school system for 17 years - brings home $143,780 a year as a principal.

She and her husband are facing a year in prison on assault charges and have restraining orders against each other.

Approached at the Crown Heights apartment where cops were called last month, Binns declined comment.

"It's personal. We want to keep it that way," Binns said.

For the most part, I'm speechless...

But she admits to cutting him with a boxcutter first, several times, he defends himself and is then arrested?

I think I'll go bang my head against the wall. That would make more sense than what I read in this account.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    "He said, she said." Arrest them both and let the prosecutor figure it out.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

You can not make this stuff up. Some great lines

"I cut him with a box cutter, and he punched me in the face," said Gibbs, who had a black eye in her mug shot.

He also was arrested on domestic violence charges, admitting to police he got violent when slashed.

"I punched her in the face because I was defending myself when she tried to cut me with the box cutter," he told police.

Perhaps the school district should have a "zero tolerance polity" for this kind of behavior...oh wait a minute, those kinds of policies are designed to kick first graders out of school for drawing a picture of a gun.

If she had been a principal in my district, she would have been turning in her keys right after she finished with her mug shots.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I do think I would have made a policy exception and punched her in the eye also.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Gibbs - who has worked for the school system for 17 years - brings home $143,780 a year as a principal.
    140k as a principal that works for half the year? Wow, thats pretty good money.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    For the most part, I'm speechless...

But she admits to cutting him with a boxcutter first, several times, he defends himself and is then arrested?

I think I'll go bang my head against the wall. That would make more sense than what I read in this account.
    I fully agree, a box cutter is a deadly weapon and defending against it with a fist should be a simple self defense.

maybe they are liberal teachers so they are trying to live up to there no tolerance policy
    Uly
    Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.

-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992

Just at a loss for words at this. Really messed up situation.

As for punching her in the eye when getting slashed with a box cutter, I'd have done way more than just punch her. I used to work in a grocery store, used one of those nasty little buggers to open cardboard boxes. I have a nice little 1 inch scar on the inside of my left arm where I accidentally "touched" myself with one. Needless to say, I'm very fearful of being cut with one, just makes my skin crawl to be honest.

I even used to carry one when I was playing in a band late nights just to be safe if attacked by thugs. I was hoping it would have the same impact on them as it did for me.

Will be interesting to see how this incident turns out.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

"Brings Home"????? How much does she gross? Surely there's some mistake.

I'll be honest, I have no sympathy for either of these losers. She was way out of line, as the situation would have been better handled by simply ordering him out or moving out herself. I will concede that a box cutter is a potentially deadly weapon, but it's not like the attack was unprovoked. I'm sure my wife would contemplate doing far worse to me under those circumstances and I would deserve it.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Nope, that figure is correct. Not sure about net but gross.

Hopefully his charge is dropped, and _expunged_ from record.

That guy was defending himself and should not be charged with anything.
    His action was very much reasonable and appropriate.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Nope, you couldn't make this stuff up.

Hopefully he will get off without a record for this, but come on folks, if your to the point of cheating on your spouse, just leave and be done with it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links