Gun-Toting Man Challenges Seattle Gun Ban

This is a discussion on Gun-Toting Man Challenges Seattle Gun Ban within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Gun Digest - Gun-Toting Man Challenges Seattle Gun Ban November 16, 2009 Summary A Kent man who announced Friday that he intended to carry a ...

Thread: Gun-Toting Man Challenges Seattle Gun Ban

Gun-Toting Man Challenges Seattle Gun Ban

Gun Digest - Gun-Toting Man Challenges Seattle Gun Ban

November 16, 2009
    Summary
    A Kent man who announced Friday that he intended to carry a pistol into a West Seattle community center to trigger a lawsuit challenging Seattle's ban on guns in public spaces did just that Saturday, and was promptly asked to leave.

Bob Warden, 44, announced his intentions in an e-mail Friday morning to media as well as to the city of Seattle, including the police and city attorney.

On Saturday, Warden walked into the Southwest Community Center at 2801 SW Thistle Street with a Glock-27 .40-caliber sub-compact pistol under a black jacket in a holster strap over his left shoulder. Parks Department employee Lisa Harrison asked him to leave, and he did.

"I'm not here as a Second Amendment activist," Warden said. "I'm here as a citizen who believes in the rule of law."

Warden, who said he's never discharged a weapon outside a firing range, added that the idea occurred to him in the past couple of days.

Media, Seattle Police and a handful of supporters were on hand. Warden sent out an e-mail Friday announcing his intentions.

"As a courtesy, this is advance notice that at noon tomorrow, Saturday, November 14, I plan to exercise my legal right to bear arms in Seattle's Southwest Community Center, 2801 SW Thistle Street," Warden said in his e-mail. "I will be safely and securely carrying my holstered Glock pistol. I have a current valid State of Washington License to Carry Concealed."

Bud Shasteen, 75, an NRA member member of the Second Amendment Foundation, was among Warden's supporters.

"I'm glad he is doing it," Shasteen said. "I'm sorry I didn't think of it. I'd have done it myself."

Alex Kaehler, 16, and his sister, Jeanmarie Kaehler, 20, were also on hand to support the move. Neither owns a weapon, but both said they want to.

"The mayor was definitely way out of line when he passed the law," said Alex Kaehler, who lives in SeaTac. "I'm glad somebody is challenging him."

Mayor Greg Nickels said the ban is intended to protect children. Warden objected to that reasoning.

"Nickels has never presented any evidence to suggest how responsible concealed-weapon carrying is a threat to children in a park," Warden said.

Nickels said on Oct. 14 that guns would be banned on such city facilities as parks and community centers where children gather. Signs banning guns have been posted at city parks.

Late last month, gun-rights advocates sued, saying the ban violates state law. Read more

Source: seattlepi.com

Gun Digest Gun Rights Forum »
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Hope he is very careful when he sends out his emails. Don't want him labeled as a terrorist.

Nice that people are willing to stand up for their rights.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Standing for your rights can make you lighting rod. If we do not stand for our rights we want have any rights. Use them or loose them,or have them just striped away.

nice
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

I don't get it,under state law he can legally carry there,but when asked to leave he left.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

He can't sue to have the city ordinance overturned unless he has personal standing to do so.

You can't just sue because you don't like something - you need to show a court you are personally effected by it.

That's why Heller was selected, among others, as plaintiff's for the DC gun case. I could have tried to sue...but as I don't live in DC and haven't tried to register a gun in DC, the court would not even look at the issue of the second amendment until I can satisfy them that I was effected, not in the general sense, but individually, by the law.

As I couldn't have, the case would be dismissed on procedural grounds and the gun issue would never have come up in that case, while a case filed at the same time that DID show the law personally effected that plaintiff would survive and proceed to the real issue.

Here, he wants to get some sort of LE response, a ticket, just a warning to leave...something...to show "Hey, I have been effected by this law. Now that you see I've got grounds to stand on to bring this case, let's hear the legal issues..."

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    He can't sue to have the city ordinance overturned unless he has personal standing to do so.

You can't just sue because you don't like something - you need to show a court you are personally effected by it.

That's why Heller was selected, among others, as plaintiff's for the DC gun case. I could have tried to sue...but as I don't live in DC and haven't tried to register a gun in DC, the court would not even look at the issue of the second amendment until I can satisfy them that I was effected, not in the general sense, but individually, by the law.

As I couldn't have, the case would be dismissed on procedural grounds and the gun issue would never have come up in that case, while a case filed at the same time that DID show the law personally effected that plaintiff would survive and proceed to the real issue.

Here, he wants to get some sort of LE response, a ticket, just a warning to leave...something...to show "Hey, I have been effected by this law. Now that you see I've got grounds to stand on to bring this case, let's hear the legal issues..."
    Now I get it,that's whats so great about this site,lots of people on here with lots of great information
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links