Chicago - interesting - politicians, guns, hypocrisy

This is a discussion on Chicago - interesting - politicians, guns, hypocrisy within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Very interesting reading. Above the law -- chicagotribune.com...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Very interesting reading.

Above the law -- chicagotribune.com
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Angry

I like nothing about Chicago, nor the people in power that have come from there.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    nothing new...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Same crap, different day, but...

...The big story was that this powerful, well-connected public official had, according to the Cook County medical examiner, committed suicide...

This guy was extremely talented...he did this with his hands tied behind his back (a guess on my part).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Illinois and Chicago politics are dirty dirty dirty, and filthy too. Obama is a graduate from both.

i can't believe i just read that. all these politicians make laws to ban guns, even for protection. but use guns themselves for protection. hypocrites. mayors and aldermen are peace officer?? really?

At least Illinois has plenty of Interstate highways, making leaving the state more attractive than staying.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    What's new.....

Not much of a surprise on who has the guns.
    I do however find it a bit odd that they find a body in the river with a bullet to the head and call it suicide.
    Kind of reminds me of Vince Foster , found dead in a park with carpet fibers on his body from his office, and no mud, leaves, dirt, on his shoes gun in hand , but the fellow that found him sated there was no gun when first found.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Armed pols: An unfortunate Chicago tradition

Steve Chapman
    November 22, 2009
    E-mailPrint
    Text Size
    Last week, the body of Chicago school board president Michael Scott was found in the Chicago River with a single bullet wound in his head. The big story was that this powerful, well-connected public official had, according to the Cook County medical examiner, committed suicide. The less-noticed story was that he did it with an illegal weapon.

After all, handgun ownership is not allowed in Chicago, which has one of the strictest gun control laws in the country, and Scott killed himself with a .380-caliber sidearm.

Unlike most Chicagoans, Scott could have been a legal handgun owner. Because he had it before the ban was enacted, he was allowed to register and keep it. But the police department says he never did. By having it in the city, Scott was guilty of an offense that could have gotten him jail time.

Amazingly enough, he was not the first local public official to take the view that firearms restrictions are something for other, ordinary people to observe. Chicago politicians are zealously committed to gun control in law, but fairly relaxed about it in practice.

In 1994, state Sen. Rickey Hendon, D-Chicago, had an unregistered handgun stolen from his home in a burglary, and he didn't feign contrition about his disregard of the ordinance.

"I have a right to protect myself," he declared, noting that he had been burglarized before -- and forgetting that the state legislature of which he is a member allows Illinois cities to deprive their citizens of that right. Asked if he would replace the lost piece, Hendon said, "No comment." The police were kind enough not to charge him.

U.S. Sen. Roland Burris, another Chicagoan, has endorsed a nationwide ban on handguns and, in 1993, organized Chicago's first Gun Turn-in Day. But the following year, while running unsuccessfully for governor, he admitted he owned a handgun -- "for protection," he explained -- and hadn't seen fit to turn it in along with those other firearms. Lesser mortals apparently can protect themselves with forks and spoons.

Scott was shot in the abdomen while chasing a burglar in 1988, so it's understandable that he would appreciate the value of having the means to defend himself against criminals. But that understanding didn't extend to the needs of ordinary Chicagoans. When the city gun ban was challenged in court, the board of education that he headed filed a brief defending Chicago's right "to prohibit classes of arms in order to prevent crime and protect public safety."

A law banning handguns, in Scott's view, was necessary to protect public safety. But when it came to protecting his private safety, he somehow perceived the law to be a hindrance, not a help.

Does his attitude carry the distinct tang of hypocrisy? Yes, but that's not out of the ordinary for Chicago politicians. Under a state law dating back to 1872, mayors and aldermen are designated peace officers. And, conveniently, peace officers are permitted to not only own but carry handguns.

That makes aldermen a special class in Illinois, one of only two states with an almost complete ban on the carrying of concealed handguns. In most places, an adult with no criminal record or history of psychiatric commitment can get a concealed-carry license after taking a training class.

But here, we have a unique system. You want to be able to pack a weapon in public for your safety? Fine. All you have to do is 1) run for the City Council and 2) win.

Why the state assumes that aldermen are fit for this prerogative is a mystery. "Law-abiding" is not the very first word that comes to mind when you think of the City Council. Since 1972, 27 of its members have been convicted on charges involving malfeasance, misfeasance, nonfeasance, disfeasance and anti-feasance with mopery aforethought.

It would be hard to come up with a group of people that has proven itself less deserving of blanket trust. The most recent convict, Arenda Troutman, got four years in prison for bribery after being caught on tape attesting that "most aldermen, most politicians are ho's." At a 1991 neighborhood meeting that got rowdy, Ald. Dorothy Tillman reportedly pulled out her handgun and waved it pugnaciously.

In Chicago, only criminals and aldermen are armed. Forgive me for being redundant.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    convicted on charges involving malfeasance, misfeasance, nonfeasance, disfeasance and anti-feasance with mopery aforethought
    Sounds like my family except he left out tortfeasor.

Having lived and worked around that city, I can say the people get the kind of government they deserve. They keep voting these people in to office. Let them reap what they sow.

This is the system Obama and his henchmen are from. Guess what they have in mind for the rest of us.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Chicago, change you can believe in.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

A law banning handguns, in Scott's view, was necessary to protect public safety. But when it came to protecting his private safety, he somehow perceived the law to be a hindrance, not a help.
    "I have a right to protect myself," he declared, noting that he had been burglarized before -- and forgetting that the state legislature of which he is a member allows Illinois cities to deprive their citizens of that right. Asked if he would replace the lost piece, Hendon said, "No comment." The police were kind enough not to charge him.
    The hypocrisy shows how simple it really is, when even a died-in-the-wool gun hater can see the utility and appropriateness of defensive weapons.

They certainly realize that the best way to thwart crime as it's happening is to be able to withstand the violence until help arrives. I simply wish they'd all be tossed into prison for daring criminalizing everything in such a way that a damned thing applies to all but them. Why that cannot happen NOW is simply beyond me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

To me the story isn't about this guy carrying a gun, it's what pushed him over the edge into "committing suicide". Chicago's version of Vince Foster?
    Desperate people do desperate things in desperate situations.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Kimber Tactical Custom II, SIS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    I like nothing about Chicago, nor the people in power that have come from there.
    Amen! Chicago style politics and politicians are a joke, and I think they all should be run outa town, where ever they pop up.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links