BAD: 2 Dead in "Random Act" Shooting (Hillsboro, OR)

This is a discussion on BAD: 2 Dead in "Random Act" Shooting (Hillsboro, OR) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This just happened a couple miles from me, at 1:30pm yesterday. I was out and about at that time, within 2-3 miles of this. I ...

Thread: BAD: 2 Dead in "Random Act" Shooting (Hillsboro, OR)

This just happened a couple miles from me, at 1:30pm yesterday.

I was out and about at that time, within 2-3 miles of this. I drive near the site of the original shooting at least a handful of times each month. Anytime, anywhere.

Here are two articles describing the incident.

2 Dead After Shooting At Oregon Intersection

HILLSBORO, Ore. — A gunman fatally wounded a passenger in another vehicle at an Oregon intersection Saturday, setting off a police chase that ended when the suspect crashed and was killed by officers, authorities said.

The passenger, 56-year-old Danny K. Le Gore of Hillsboro, was rushed to a local hospital where he died. Police did not immediately identify the gunman.

Police initially called the violence a road rage shooting that followed a traffic altercation, but later they backed away from that report.

Hillsboro Lt. Henry Reimann said it still wasn't clear what happened at the intersection, and information from witnesses hadn't clarified the incident.

But he said it appeared that the gunman opened fire on the Le Gore vehicle as it was moving, pumping at least six rounds from a handgun into it.

"It appears that this victim had no connection to the suspect in this case, and it appears to be a random act of extreme violence," the police said in a statement.

Officers chased the gunman west to neighboring Cornelius and said he fired back at them both before and after he crashed at a downtown intersection.

A Cornelius resident, Robert Layton, told The Oregonian newspaper the driver was barefoot and wearing camouflage pants. Layton said the man ran less than 100 feet, firing at officers, before he was hit by their return fire.

Police said no officers were hit.

OregonLive -- Portland Oregonian: Police Identify Shooter

Sheriff's office identifies shooter in Hillsboro and Cornelius shooting spree that left two dead

By Lisa Lednicer, The Oregonian
    November 21, 2009, 11:34PM

Police fatally shot a driver after he killed a passenger in another car Saturday in a bustling Hillsboro business area and then led officers on a four-mile shooting spree that ended in Cornelius.

Washington County Sheriff's Office spokesman Sgt. Bob Ray identified the driver late Saturday night as Shawn Schumacher, 28, of Hillsboro.

In what police called an apparent "random act of extreme violence," Schumacher was driving a green Honda Civic about 1:30 p.m. when he fired at least seven rounds from a handgun at two men traveling in the opposite direction in a red Mazda on Southeast 10th Avenue and Oak Street in Hillsboro.

At least one bullet hit the passenger in the Mazda, Danny K. Le Gore, 55, of Hillsboro, who later died at OHSU Hospital. Hillsboro police identified him as Danny K. Le Gore, 55, of Hillsboro.

Police said Le Gore did not appear to have any connection to the suspect.

When Zach Lamping heard shots and went outside the oil-change shop where he works, he saw a man with a handgun walk back to his car.

"I was thinking, did he really just shoot someone?" Lamping said. "I couldn't believe it."

Authorities and witnesses said Schumacher sped west on Baseline Street toward Cornelius while passing other vehicles and shooting at officers in pursuit.

Schumacher was driving fast on the right shoulder of North Adair Street in Cornelius when he crashed into a van coming down 14th Avenue, said Sgt. Bob Ray, spokesman for the Washington County Sheriff's Office.

Schumacher got out of the car and continued to shoot at Cornelius police officers and Washington County sheriff's deputies, who fired multiple shots and killed him. No officers were shot.

The officers and deputies involved in the fatal shooting have not been identified. Ray said standard procedure in such incidents is for officers to be placed on paid administrative leave during the investigation.

Resident Robert Layton, who witnessed the Cornelius shooting, said the man ran less than 100 feet before police killed him.

Layton, who was watching a movie when he heard the gunshots, said he saw a boy walking across the street during the shooting.

"Run, run, run!" he told him.

In Hillsboro, many people were walking, shopping, dining and working in the area when the shots were fired.

Lamping was working at the Jiffy Lube on the corner of 10th and Walnut in Hillsboro when he heard a car horn honking like crazy. A moment later, he heard about seven gunshots, he said.

Lamping said he went outside and talked to the driver of the Mazda, who was not shot but seemed to be in shock.

"He asked me what happened," Lamping said. "He kept checking his body to see if he was hit."

Lamping said it looked as if the red Mazda was just driving by when bullets hit it. "It was scary. I'll go home feeling safer. I'm glad that guy is off the street," he said, referring to the shooter.

About five people ran to the big windows at Aaron's furniture when they heard shots in the street, but general manager Alex Novoa told them to get back.

"This guy was crazy," Novoa said. "It happened so fast."

Witnesses gave conflicting accounts of the details.

At some point during the incident the shooter crashed into other cars, witnesses said. But there was no evidence that the red Mazda had been in an accident, Hillsboro police Lt. Henry Reimann said.

"We're not sure why he started shooting," Reimann said.

In the small community of Cornelius, the crash and fatal shooting occurred in the city core, near Cornelius Town Center and Cornelius Elementary School. The city has just finished making over the area, adding streetlights, benches and other improvements.

"I can't remember another time we've had something quite like this," Cornelius Mayor Bill Bash said. "This is the first time we've had a police shooting in Cornelius in a long time, if ever."

Bash said he was just thankful there were no other injuries.

"We've been working very hard in changing people's perceptions of Cornelius," Bash said, "and I'm hoping this shooting won't change what we started."

Layton said he recognized a 9 mm gun near the shooter's body. Police covered the body with a sheet, and at least 20 police cars were at the scene, Layton said.

The Hillsboro and Cornelius police departments, the Washington County Sheriff's Office and the Washington County Major Crimes Team are investigating the shootings.

Amongst some of the comments posted on the OregonLive newspaper web site, there is this little gem:
    Gosh, maybe this wouldn't have happened if everyone had been carrying a gun like some groups want.
    Of course, having a firearm would have been highly useful to one's own survival, had the shooter turned on others. Which is the whole point of having a life-saving defensive tool in hand. Can't use what you don't have with you. The person who posted this quip obviously fails to understand physics, the reality of an attacker, the painful reality of a potential victim's range of options when the potential victim willingly decides to go through live unarmed, unaware, incapable of withstanding any sort of attack like what this felon might well have inflicted on others who got in his way. Some people will never learn.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

In what police called an apparent "random act of extreme violence,"
    This type of act is often "successful" (from the perp's point of view) because most people don't see it coming, and even if they do, they aren't prepared or cognizant to take action. They'll think to themselves, similar to what the guy in the oil-change business said, "Is this really happening?" They'll freeze for a few seconds, and then it's over.

"It happened so fast."
    That's how it usually happens.

The unprovoked, random attacks are IMO the hardest to defend against because they require immediate, full-scale reaction, and even then, the aggressor has a great advantage.

Any time, any place...
    I can't believe this happened to us...
    I can't believe this happened in our neighborhood...
    We've never had stuff like this happen here...

It's always the same, but dirtbags, hacks, and nut cases are roaming all over the country (so are anti-gun news reporters)...you just never know.

Someone waiting to present a surprise attack is something that we can all face...being alert can help, but it's no guarentee.

Stay armed...stay VERY alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    At least this story had a happy ending. Remarkably quick response from law enforcement. They must have heard the shots. Wonder if they will find out the whole story now that the shooter is the shotee.

I have been sketching around on a car holster. Perfect is the enemy of good. I have seen plenty of car holster ideas on this forum and the net in general. Time to make something good enough. Perhaps some duct tape mock-ups until something works out and can be made permanent.

The main issue is how to keep it out of sight, yet still be quick to use - problem for the yota, not so much the truck. Don't want the empty holster or full holster visible.

Basically in a car you are screwed if you can't floor it and escape. Threat from 7 or 8 o'clock, I will be leaning back and squeezing to the right in the car. Threat from ahead to 4 o'clock, I probably will be ducking forward. Where to put the pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    ...The unprovoked, random attacks are IMO the hardest to defend against because they require immediate, full-scale reaction, and even then, the aggressor has a great advantage.
    When we lived in California the nuts were shooting people on the freeway. We talked about it at work. Basically, we decided if you were in the wrong place at the wrong time - sayonara. My favorite bumper sticker from that time, "Cover me, I've got to pass."

The only chance is exceptional situational awareness. Even then, we can be sniped and not hear the first bullet. If you hear or see the first shot, then the Immediate Action Drills should kick in.

Best not to stand out in the crowd and not to worry about what we cannot control.

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    Remarkably quick response from law enforcement. They must have heard the shots.
    Hillsboro has about ~85K residents. The intersection where the shooting took place is about one mile from city center. At 1:30pm at that spot, there are probably 10 officers within 60secs response time, once the word goes out. (It's a relatively small place.)

I have been sketching around on a car holster.
    A car is a tough spot to be, if attempting to draw and defend. Any xdraw "car" holster is going to be a sacrifice and compromise. Haven't found a great one yet that eliminates the compromises. Even so many officers so close, not a single one of them is going to be RIGHT THERE on the instant of that problem going down, such that nine out of 10 times I'm pretty sure the best choice is going to be to skedaddle ... car holster or not.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; November 23rd, 2009 at 02:36 AM. Reason: spelling and grammar

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    This type of act is often "successful" (from the perp's point of view) because most people don't see it coming, and even if they do, they aren't prepared or cognizant to take action. They'll think to themselves, similar to what the guy in the oil-change business said, "Is this really happening?" They'll freeze for a few seconds, and then it's over.

That's how it usually happens.

The unprovoked, random attacks are IMO the hardest to defend against because they require immediate, full-scale reaction, and even then, the aggressor has a great advantage.

Yep^^^^^^^
    Sucks to be caught of guard

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Any time, any place...
    I can't believe this happened to us...
    I can't believe this happened in our neighborhood...
    We've never had stuff like this happen here...

It's always the same, but dirtbags, hacks, and nut cases are roaming all over the country (so are anti-gun news reporters)...you just never know.

Someone waiting to present a surprise attack is something that we can all face...being alert can help, but it's no guarentee.

Stay armed...stay VERY alert...stay safe!

I agree^^^^^^^^^

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

It's official -- Johnnie's parents think him "not a bad person"

As is typically the case, little Johnnie is revered by his parents and all who know him. He couldn't have been the person they sought. He couldn't have been the person who did these things. Why? He wasn't a bad person. He was such a good kid. He was ...

apparently a murderer, Mom. Cope.

Condolences to the families of everyone involved. None of them apparently had anything to do with the rage and carnage that destroyed a life and will affect them all for the rest of their lives.

Son's actions in fatal stranger shooting puzzle his parents

By Bill Oram, The Oregonian
    November 23, 2009, 9:41PM

Jan Schumacher has seen the faces of killers flash across the television screen and felt the same loathing and disgust as everyone else.

On Saturday, her stepson, Shawn Schumacher, became one of those faces.

"I think about all the times in the past I saw them on the TV, and you think, 'What a bad person,'" she said. "But then it's your son, and he wasn't a bad person."

Jan and Dale Schumacher on Monday sat in their Happy Valley home and recalled their 28-year-old son. They said they believe that he was using a potent homemade drug for a spiritual pursuit and that it led him to commit an unimaginable crime.

The Schumachers held pictures from a 2007 trip to Las Vegas that showed a lean young man with light cropped hair and a smile. He was a hard worker, an introvert, a gadget head and an avid snowboarder, they said. He was in charge of preparing the prime rib at Christmas for nearly 30 people.

"We're not saying he was perfect," Jan Schumacher said. "We don't know everything -- we're parents."

Police say that on Saturday Shawn Schumacher, a graduate of an alternative program through Sunset High School in Beaverton, sped recklessly through Hillsboro, sideswiping other vehicles with his 1997 Honda Civic and firing pistol shots. One fatally injured Danny Le Gore, 56.

When police finally got Schumacher out of his car in Cornelius, he opened fire and was shot dead.

"It wasn't Shawn," said Dale Schumacher, who had last talked to his son six to eight weeks ago.

Monday, Dale and Jan Schumacher -- Shawn's biological mother, Robin Childress, died in 2005 -- went to the condominium their son owned in Hillsboro and shared with a roommate. They said everything in the condo had been bought in bulk, as a result of his job as a meat cutter at the Hillsboro Costco.

They said they also found dozens of books about ancient Natives, with sections highlighted about their use of peyote to connect with a higher power. Police said they found a home lab to make mescaline from the peyote cactus.

"We're learning some more about a young adult man's life," Jan Schumacher said, adding that she never knew Shawn to do drugs or even drink.

Dale Schumacher quickly added, "It's like a puzzle trying to put all the pieces together."

Although police killed Shawn Schumacher early Saturday afternoon, his parents didn't learn of the incident until that evening. Jan Schumacher was celebrating a birthday, but Shawn hadn't called. Then Washington County sheriff's deputies came to the door.

The Schumachers said that Shawn had never shown signs of violence. He was technically minded. He built his first computer with his dad in his early teens.

"Whenever you had a problem with your computer, you'd call him, and he'd come over and he'd tweak this, tweak that, and make it better and make it go faster," Dale Schumacher said.

As a meat cutter, he was more or less in the family business and his parents were proud. Dale Schumacher works in wholesale foods, specializing in meats.

Dale Schumacher said he had taken a young Shawn hunting for elk and deer in the Coast Range a couple of times, so Shawn was familiar with guns.

Jan Schumacher said Shawn renewed his interest in guns when his sister, Crystal Cox, married a Washington County deputy. She said he owned a couple of pistols and a rifle but never flaunted them.

Shawn Schumacher spent the week before his death on vacation. His parents said they didn't know how he spent the last week of his life, but his sister got bizarre text messages from him in which he referenced God.

The Schumachers struggled to convey their shock.

"We can't believe Shawn would pull a weapon on a stranger who did nothing to him," Jan Schumacher said as her voice trailed off. "An absolute stranger ... "

The Schumachers spoke often of the man he killed and the family and friends who lost Danny Le Gore almost as unexpectedly as the Schumachers lost Shawn.

"We're searching for peace, just like the other family is doing," Jan Schumacher said.

Some clues to a killer's profile.

Profile emerges for Hillsboro-intersection shooter

Police said they found a mescaline lab at the Hillsboro home of the man deputies shot and killed after a Nov. 21 shooting rampage in Hillsboro and Cornelius.

Story Published: Nov 23, 2009 at 9:31 AM PST
    By Adam Ghassemi KATU News and KATU.com Staff

HILLSBORO, Ore. - We're learning more about a Hillsboro man police said went on a deadly shooting rampage Saturday.

Investigators still don't know exactly what sent Shawn Schumacher over the edge. However, they have said that Schumacher was physically overheating - wearing only khaki shorts with his car's windows rolled down - when he suddenly snapped Saturday morning.

Once he snapped, he started ramming other cars before opening fire at the Hillsboro intersection of Southeast 10th Avenue and Oak Street.

The late Danny Le Gore, victim of a random act of "extreme violence" in a Hillsboro intersection Saturday. Caught in Schumacher's spray of bullets was 56-year-old Danny LeGore. (See photo of Le Gore on his bike.) He died after being airlifted to OHSU's hospital in Portland.

Just after Saturday's shooting, deputies said Schumacher led them on a four-mile chase to Cornelius where he opened fire again - before deputies shot and killed him.

Saturday night at Schumacher's Hillsboro home a narcotics team found a small mescaline lab. However, since Schumacher had no criminal record, deputies said it remains unclear what would driven him to go on such a violent rampage.

Police said they found a mescaline lab at the home of the man who shot up a Hillsboro intersection Saturday."This is such bizarre behavior especially for someone with no criminal history," said Sergeant Bob Ray with the Washington County Sheriff's Office. "We may never really know what drove him to this."

Mescaline is a hallucinogen commonly found in the cactus; it's a derivative of peyote. Deputies said that mescaline labs in Washington County are extremely rare.

I thought these LSD type drugs were enjoyed in a dark one light bulb room with In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida playing. Must have been mixing and matching his drugs. Too bad someone didn't end it before he killed an innocent.

Sponsored Links