Georgia Third Grader Suspended for Pointing Toy Gun

This is a discussion on Georgia Third Grader Suspended for Pointing Toy Gun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Saw this AP story on Fox regarding zero tolerance for guns. In this case a toy gun not at school at the time. Georgia Third ...

Thread: Georgia Third Grader Suspended for Pointing Toy Gun

Georgia Third Grader Suspended for Pointing Toy Gun

Saw this AP story on Fox regarding zero tolerance for guns. In this case a toy gun not at school at the time.

Georgia Third Grader Suspended for Pointing Toy Gun - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

MACON, Ga. — A Macon area third-grader was suspended from school after he pointed a toy gun at a parent while walking home from school Thursday.

Police haven't identified the boy, who is a student at Ingram-Pye Elementary.

Police say the parent notified authorities who later learned the boy had brought the toy in his backpack.

It's on of several recent incidents in Bibb, Jones and Dublin schools in which students or young adults carried real and toy guns onto campus.

Last week an 18-year-old was arrested and charged for having a toy gun and knife on a Bibb school property.
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Zero tolerance, and its sometimes goofy conclusions is one thing, but if I had a 8-10 year old pointing a gun (toy or not) at me as I was driving by, I think I'd be calling 911.
    We have all heard of today's youth comitting crimes with guns...so it' not jumping to conclusions.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member

re- retsupt

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Zero tolerance, and its sometimes goofy conclusions is one thing, but if I had a 8-10 year old pointing a gun (toy or not) at me as I was driving by, I think I'd be calling 911.
    We have all heard of today's youth comitting crimes with guns...so it' not jumping to conclusions.OMO
    Didn't guys our age play with all manner of toy guns when we were kids. No one gave a hoot if you had a cap pistol at school. Or a water pistol--so long as you didn't actually wet another kid during play time.

Toy guns look like toy guns, and kids need to be able to play freely.

I know it goes against the grain of our post -modern thinking, but even a little play fighting at school can sometimes be a positive learning experience--provided it isn't out of hand.

I can't condone either the call to the cops or the expulsion.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Didn't guys our age play with all manner of toy guns when we were kids. No one gave a hoot if you had a cap pistol at school. Or a water pistol--so long as you didn't actually wet another kid during play time.

Toy guns look like toy guns, and kids need to be able to play freely.

I know it goes against the grain of our post -modern thinking, but even a little play fighting at school can sometimes be a positive learning experience--provided it isn't out of hand.

I can't condone either the call to the cops or the expulsion.
    I know I played with them and never would have expected a reaction like this, this zero toleranc, pc way of dealing with this kind of thing goes to far sometimes, how about a little common sense!

All this political correctness drives me crazy. I have an 8 & 10 year old who have a bunch of toy guns. They play Army and spy in the yard all the time. I see them outside being imaginitive hiding behind a tree and play shooting at cars as they drive by in the neighborhood. But....I have told them not to take these toys to school or any where else. But you never know what they might try and do, and innocently at that. At that age they dont really understand legalitys and what the sheeple think. Suspension is too much. Maybe a visit from the school officer and explain to the child about guns and proper ettiquet.

I guess that's one way to learn the gun safety rules (never too young to learn).
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Imagine how the country will be when the current crop of poor little helpless, brainwashed kids are grown and expected to run the show. I won't be here thankfully.

Links