Three bad guys, a follower, and a good neighbor

This is a discussion on Three bad guys, a follower, and a good neighbor within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I got a kick out of this story...an alert neighbor stops a burglary. Rounds up the bad guys and holds them for law enforcement. Neighbor ...

Thread: Three bad guys, a follower, and a good neighbor

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar

Three bad guys, a follower, and a good neighbor

I got a kick out of this story...an alert neighbor stops a burglary. Rounds up the bad guys and holds them for law enforcement.

Neighbor catches three prowlers, holds them at gunpoint | truck, three, sims - News - The News Herald

2. Remove Ads

Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    PANAMA CITY - An observant neighbor stopped three prowlers from burglarizing his neighbor's house in the early hours of Monday. Authorities said he fired a warning shot and held the three men at gunpoint until deputies arrived.

Deric Shannon Burke, 18, of Youngstown, Ian Patrick Allen, 18, of Panama City, and Justin Aaron Burton, 20, of Youngstown were arrested on charges of loitering and prowling, according to an incident report from the Bay County Sheriff's Office.

The report said they had intended to burglarize a home in the 5000 block of Frank Hough Drive about 3 a.m. Monday. However, a neighbor heard their truck arrive and looked out his window to see the truck's lights go off. He got a flashlight and pistol, and went outside to investigate.

Richard Hough, 57, told deputies he saw two of the three men on his neighbor's property near a boat at a pole barn. Hough fired a warning shot in the air and the two men "stopped and got on the ground." They told Hough another man was with them, but he would not respond when they called to him. After the two detained men called the third man on his cell phone, he came out and Hough marched all three back to their truck.

Deputies responding to a prowling call arrived to find Hough standing with his pistol and the three men sitting on the ground with their backs against the truck. A fourth man was in the truck, "too scared to come out," the report said. He was identified as John S. Sims, 19, of Panama City.

Sims told deputies that he had been fishing with the other three men. One of them argued with his father, and Sims told them they could stay the night at his house. They told Sims they wanted to stop along the way and steal some fishing tackle. Sims said he was against the idea and tried to talk them out of it. When they stopped anyway, he stayed in the truck "because he didn't want any part of it." Sims said when he saw the man walking his friends back to the truck with a gun, he stayed in the truck for fear of getting shot.

The three men were arrested and taken to the Bay County Jail. The truck was towed. Sims was taken home by a deputy, who spoke with Sims' father and told him "what a good choice he made tonight," the report said. The potential victim also thanked his Hough "for his service."

Posted just in case the link doesn't work for some
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Not a fan of the warning shot into the AIR, but other than that, GREAT JOB and He deserves a hell of alot of respect for what he did.
    ~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

This is the kind of neighbors we all need. I give this one a ten.

VIP Member
    Excellent, everyone needs neighbors like this!

Guys are lucky, it could have been the Texas neighbor that shot the the burglars a while back and it was caught on the 911 tape.

Man, I hate to be the guy who says this, but my neighbors are on their own, period. Well, I like most of them ,so it would be situational, but never would I draw my sidearm over property being stolen. Fishing tackle is not worth a gun fight.

ALso, I've got a sheeple neighbor on another side. Firearms are the devil blah blah blah. That "person" better hope their being robbed doesn't depend on me. I might call the police if i see them getting robbed, if the phone is within reach. I wouldn't defend them with my sidearm regardless of the situation.

My sidearm and shotgun are to protect those in my care. Wife, kids, visitors ect. Not to protect my neighbors, or the other people at the gas station, store, or where ever else the BG is. The anti-gunners have taught me a lesson in who i'm suppose to be protecting, and they've all said they prefer the cops, let em wait I say.
    They can't take your right to own a firearm. They can ask with force and you can answer any way you choose.

My neighbors are cool and I would stop a burglary if needed,ya never know I let em get away with doing the neighbors and mine might be next when I'm not home
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I live in one of those neighborhoods that if your house was burglarized the people that live next to you would hire someone to burn their house down! It always has to be bigger and better than yours. (If I knew that when I bought here we wouldn't be here).

Otherwise, nice work to the man in the news story.

Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

Quote Originally Posted by ImChad View Post
    Man, I hate to be the guy who says this, but my neighbors are on their own, period. Well, I like most of them ,so it would be situational, but never would I draw my sidearm over property being stolen. Fishing tackle is not worth a gun fight.

Problem is if you let it go, the BG's know they have easy pickins in that neighborhood.

I guess it depends which neighbors...

I know my neighborhood. I know who belongs here and who does not. I would probably 'interfer' with a burglary on a good neighbor's home, and I hope that they would do the same for me. My interference could take the shape of a number of actions.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Glad it worked out, but I think the GG got real lucky this time. Had he gone outside to interfere with hardcore BG's, one of the TWO un-accounted for perps probably would have offed him from the cover of darkness.

He should have stayed inside and called the police, IMO.

Links