GOOD: Man Defends Home Against Three Intruders - Berlin, NH

This is a discussion on GOOD: Man Defends Home Against Three Intruders - Berlin, NH within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Concord Monitor - Break-in ends in shooting A gunfight during a home invasion in Berlin left one person dead and at least three others injured ...

Thread: GOOD: Man Defends Home Against Three Intruders - Berlin, NH

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

GOOD: Man Defends Home Against Three Intruders - Berlin, NH

Concord Monitor - Break-in ends in shooting

A gunfight during a home invasion in Berlin left one person dead and at least three others injured late Wednesday night.

The police said three men, at least two armed with handguns, forced their way into a basement apartment at 616 Third Ave. about 8 p.m. Once inside, they beat a male resident and pistol-whipped his girlfriend, the police said.

After a struggle, the man who lived in the apartment was able to pick up his own handgun and fire a number of shots at his assailants, according to Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeffery Strelzin.

When the police arrived, they found one of the thwarted robbers, Nathaniel Stringfield, 23, of Berlin, dead in the apartment. He was shot through the stomach, the police said.

A second person, who the police have not named, fled through an alley at the rear of the building, leaving a trail of splattered blood on the street.

The police found the injured man in a boarding house at 827 Western Ave., just under a quarter mile from the shooting scene. Neighbors said they watched as at least six Berlin and state police cruisers surrounded the Western Avenue house Wednesday night, eventually loading one person into an ambulance.

Jason Rush, who was on his balcony overlooking the boarding house, said it appeared the man was shot in the face or head.

Strelzin said the person suffered multiple gunshot wounds. He was flown by helicopter to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center with potentially fatal injuries.

A third person believed to be a part of the armed robbery attempt is still at large but is not armed or dangerous, Strelzin said. The police do not know if he was injured.

Both people who were inside the apartment before the attempted robbery suffered "assault-like" injuries but are expected to survive, Strelzin said. He said the male resident was treated at the scene and his girlfriend was taken by ambulance to a local hospital and later released.

Neither suffered gunshot wounds.

No one has been charged in the incident.

Strelzin said the police are looking into whether this was a case of self-defense.

"There is no definitive answer as to what brought these two groups of people together," he said.

He said it appears one bullet from the shootout landed outside the building.

Yesterday, yellow police tape surrounded both crime scenes and an alleyway between them. Evidence markers littered the ground near blood stains on the pavement, and state police officers worked to measure the distance between each one. An officer with plastic booties went inside the Third Avenue building to take photographs.

Both streets were shut down and under police guard as people in cars drove by gawking at the scenes.

In the past year, there has been a significant amount of police activity at both buildings, which are located in a relatively dense neighborhood on the side of Mount Forist.

The police have been called to 616 Third Ave., a three-unit apartment building, 18 times so far this year, according to a public log of police activity. Officers have gone to 827 Western Ave., a boarding house, 10 times this year.

The Berlin police refused to release details of those earlier calls.

Neighbors in the predominately French-Canadian neighborhood said the shooting was frightening and unexpected.

"They used to never lock their doors here, now they do," said Alain Martin, translating for his mother, Francoise Martin, who lives across the street from 616 Third Ave.

"Berlin was a town where you go to the store, and you leave your car running," she said. "Now, stuff like this is happening."

Lisa McCarthy helped cook a Thanksgiving meal yesterday at her mother's home on Third Avenue with a police officer posted outside. The officer was guarding a maroon SUV parked near the scene that was barricaded and wrapped in police tape.

As McCarthy returned from walking her dog Wednesday night, she noticed an automated light outside the house had been tripped. At the time, she said, she thought it was strange but didn't pay much attention.

"They didn't tell me there was still one on the loose," she said.

Her mother, Juliette Caron, said the neighborhood is mostly elderly people, except for two apartment buildings down the block.

"It's the worst place for people to get into drugs, because people around here are nosy," she said.

Paul Leborgne's backyard directly abuts where the shooting took place. He put up a fence because trash and plowed snow from the apartment building would end up in his yard.

"I ain't surprised," he said. "They are in an apartment, and it seems like all the town attracts now is. I don't know how you want to put it."

Strelzin said an autopsy will be performed on Stringfield to determine his cause of death.

Acquaintances of Stringfield said he had a girlfriend and a 2-year-old boy. Sitting on a porch near the Western Avenue boarding house, Derek and Keith Stull remembered Stringfield as a nice guy they met at a local bar, the Millyard.

"He always seemed decent," Derek Stull said. "Maybe he got in with the wrong crowd."
    I wouldn't be surprised if drugs were involved considering the comments by the neighbors, but at least two more scumbags are off the streets forever.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Congrats to this apartment dweller, anyone who has the lack of common sense and moral compass to refrain from invading someone else's living space, deserves to be deprived of O2...permanently!

Nice work on the part of the victim(s).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Hope the good guy and his girlfriend have a speedy recovery. I bet he will have the gun on him from now on even when he is home.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

The city of Berlin has also been plagued by a rash of fires over the past year or so......Some have been ruled arson; others are under investigation.....Yet more criminal activity in a "small northern New Hampshire city".....
    This city has, in the last 20 years, had both their radio stations shut down by the FCC for fraudulent billing practices (I believe both are back on the air at this time.....).
    So for those who may think crime is confined to major metropolitan areas.....think again!!

I know its standard "police speak" to say no charges are filed yet & police are looking into if the case was self defense........ what horse crap!
    Two beaten people who live in the house, and two guys who don't with gunshot wounds (third unknown)
    Who cares what brought them together, or why....... even if the man and girl had wronged the three guys in some way...... they were STILL in the house beating the two people when they were shot.......

Ok.... I'm done...... my AADD has been fullfilled for the day....... LMAO!!
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

"A third person believed to be a part of the armed robbery attempt is still at large but is not armed or dangerous, Strelzin said. The police do not know if he was injured."

How do they know he's not armed and not dangerous???

Bring in the dogs to track the smelly guy with the brown stains on his pants...
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links