Little known law (?) - Page 2

Little known law (?)

This is a discussion on Little known law (?) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by GunnyBunny As you cross the border by car, there are signs everywhere that all firearms must be declared. When arriving by air, ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Little known law (?)

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    As you cross the border by car, there are signs everywhere that all firearms must be declared.

When arriving by air, you must fill out a Customs declaration as to whether or not you have any firearms.

"I forgot"? I don't think so. Right now I know where every one of my firearms are.

BTW, handguns are NOT illegal to own or bring into Canada. The same way that I have to get ATF paperwork to bring a firearm into the US, you have to get paperwork from the RCMP.

Americans come up here to compete with their own firearms all the time. If you have the proper paperwork, you'll spend a few extra minutes at Customs, but you''ll get through just fine.

BTW, saying you're bringing in for personal protection won't wash. We don't enjoy that freedom. Check my signature line.
    Bunny, actually, can't you bring a handgun with the proper paperwork for personal protection if you are doing hunting and can justify the protection due to that hunting
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Bunny, actually, can't you bring a handgun with the proper paperwork for personal protection if you are doing hunting and can justify the protection due to that hunting
    Nope!

Long guns (non restricted class under Canadian law) for hunting or competition, OK.

Handguns (restricted class under Canadian law) for competition, OK.

Restricted class for personal protection against 2 legged or 4 legged predators, forget it.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M203Sniper View Post
    You can't compare the laws of Canada to that of the US. It's apples and Oranges. Canada is comparable to California at best.

It is also no friend of human rights, no more than China or Germany, which is to say not at all. Just because they share our northern border doesn't mean we should allow them to kidnap one of our citizens, hold him without due process or representation and seek to deny his rights. Not based on the flawed logic of a gun control law.

Self Defense is a human right.
    This is a violation of the man's human rights. Rights recognized by our government, not defined by it, they exist without it. Men without the means to defend themselves are poor and corruptible. Why aren't we standing up to this atrocity?

I agree totally, however, we as a group generally consider ourselves to be among the MOST law abiding citizizens. HE BROKE THE LAW!

You expect people to obey our country's laws when here, right? I'm sure they expect the same, wheather you agree with them or not.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

That's what happened to a friend of mine in the Bronx.

He got the case dismissed, and after they do the lawyer dance, I'm betting that's the result.

Lesson here is "YOU DO NOT FORGET WERE YOU HAD A GUN"

VIP Member
    Here's link for the laws for visitors and non residents..........

Visitors / Non-Residents

Follow the laws, get your paperwork, and come on up to compete or hunt.

I follow your laws when I go South, we expect you to do the same when you come North.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

You can't compare the laws of Canada to that of the US. It's apples and Oranges. Canada is comparable to California at best.

It is also no friend of human rights, no more than China or Germany, which is to say not at all. Just because they share our northern border doesn't mean we should allow them to kidnap one of our citizens, hold him without due process or representation and seek to deny his rights. Not based on the flawed logic of a gun control law.

Self Defense is a human right.

This is a violation of the man's human rights. Rights recognized by our government, not defined by it, they exist without it. Men without the means to defend themselves are poor and corruptible. Why aren't we standing up to this atrocity?

I agree with you 100%. I can not understand or comprehend, nor do I want to, understand anyone believing that self defense is not a human right. Also why would anyone want to go to Canada? I will spend my money in the states that don't care if I have a gun. Larry

It's ignorance no matter how you look at it... Either he, (forgot he had it) which is not too smart or failed to know the laws to enter ANOTHER COUNTRY.
    You can't even go from state to state in this country without knowing the difference in the laws. No matter how you look at it he has the sole responsibility for his trouble.
    No country can put up signage to make you aware of every law that can get you arrested while crossing the border.
    Common sense goes a long ways in life.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

If you don't know where your gun is, nor understand the laws about taking guns into Canada, then you shouldn't own guns.
    This guy is not going to 'skate to freedom'...it will be an expensive experience.
    No excuses for this stupidity.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Been to Canada a few times,and before I go I make sure I don't even have spent brass in my jeep
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Don't forget to declare your long arms too (and most importantly PAY the import fee). Another example of the difference between citizens and subjects. Too bad for him that there is no consideration of intent. If you were a jounalist or a New York mayor you can break laws just for the purpose of politcal statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Clueless. Get on a plane and go visit there sometime. Your over the top comparison to China or Germany (presumably wartime Germany) is just plain weird.

Canada has a finely honed appreciation for human rights, and an excellent justice system.

While you (or I) may think there is a fundamental human right to carry a gun, there is not. We have certain Constitutional rights--sort of, and that's about it. Or as an old Southern Lawyer once told his son, "Son you got no rights."

Canada gets to choose their laws and their rules, just as we get to choose ours.

I've noticed that certain TV personalities and some writers seem to want to pick a fight with Canada. Why, is absolutely beyond me. That's like picking a fight with your sibling or your first cousin.
    I think you are confusing laws with rights.

he broke a law. as I said - he is being punished for the flawed logic and bureaucracy of a gun control law.

That has nothing to do with an absolute human right to self defense. Nothing to do with the second amendment, NRA, government etc.

A basic human right.

As a person who is not a citizen of Canada he has no recourse to change asinine laws or appeal to his representatives. We have the right to keep and bear arms, Canada does not, akin to trespassing he should have been asked to leave, under his own power. Simple.

What do we do with illegals who cross our border in violation of our laws? There are a lot more people crossing from Mexico into the US, violating a law then there are crossing into Canada. We do not expect their rights to be violated.

A basic human right. He should have been asked or told to leave IMO.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

VIP Member
    He should have been asked or told to leave IMO.
    Ridiculous.

We don't do catch and release. He violated a Federal law by attempting to illegally import a firearm.

Black and white. Cut and dried.

VIP Member
    I don't like it, but I agree with Gunny Bunny.

If an illegal Mexican breaks one of our laws, (other than being here illegally), he/she goes to jail, or prison. When they are finished with their sentance, then they are deported.

I also don't agree with this, but it's the way it is.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Obviously he's not a member of this forum!

You do something stupid and criminal, you pay the price. This isn't something new that Canada has come up with, it has been like this for years.

Are Canadian gun laws extremely harsh and misguided? YES. Are they the laws of that country, to be obeyed if you want to go there to visit? YES. Should our laws over ride theirs? NO. Know the laws where your traveling to, and make sure you obey them.

VIP Member
    Well said archer51, just what I was trying to say.
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links