Little known law (?)

This is a discussion on Little known law (?) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Do I like our firearms laws? No. Do I like that I can only take my handguns to and from a range? No. Do I ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Little known law (?)

VIP Member
    Do I like our firearms laws?

No.

Do I like that I can only take my handguns to and from a range?

No.

Do I like that I can't carry in my own Country?

No.

Do I like it that I can't even take my AK, FN FAL, or Mac 10 to the range?

No.

But, I obey them so I can stay out of prison and still enjoy the limited firearms rights I do have.

BTW, just get caught with a single .22 round going into Mexico without a permit. Our jails are like the Hilton compared to theirs.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

2. Remove Ads

It's too bad we can't follow Canada's example towards policing our southern border...
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Little known law? I thought it was a very well known law. No (hand)guns into Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by M203Sniper View Post
    You can't compare the laws of Canada to that of the US. It's apples and Oranges. Canada is comparable to California at best.

It is also no friend of human rights, no more than China or Germany, which is to say not at all. Just because they share our northern border doesn't mean we should allow them to kidnap one of our citizens, hold him without due process or representation and seek to deny his rights. Not based on the flawed logic of a gun control law.

Self Defense is a human right.

This is a violation of the man's human rights. Rights recognized by our government, not defined by it, they exist without it. Men without the means to defend themselves are poor and corruptible. Why aren't we standing up to this atrocity?

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    It's ignorance no matter how you look at it... Either he, (forgot he had it) which is not too smart or failed to know the laws to enter ANOTHER COUNTRY.
    You can't even go from state to state in this country without knowing the difference in the laws. No matter how you look at it he has the sole responsibility for his trouble.
    No country can put up signage to make you aware of every law that can get you arrested while crossing the border.
    Common sense goes a long ways in life.

YEP^^^^

I must travel to Canada 3-5 times per month for a few hours at a time.
    The people are nice enough, BUT, due to the fact that they are akin to a communist bloc country with regards to their firearms laws, and handguns in particular, I shun that place like a leper.
    My wife wanted to take the 4 kids on a vaca. to Niagra falls before the entry back into the US required a passport, so I BIT my lip, took the family and got the h-e-double hockysticks out of there ASAP, vowing to her it Will be the last time we ever go there as a family.
    If Canada was not directly attatched to the US , it would be a
    3rd world country as far as I m concerned because of their Government.

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Having lived in Northern BC for the last 3 months(still currently here), I find the comparison to a 3rd world country utterly rediculious. I think that this guy was an idiot for trying to cross the border with a gun in his car. Canada IS a sovereign nation, therefore their law is the law

Owning a firearm is a responsibility, and therefore this individual should have been fully informed of his legal situation. I could see the outrage if this was a "little known law," but Canadian firearms laws aren't exactly a little known secret.

That being said, I can't wait to go to my home range over Christmas back in SC.
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

One of the guns I would really like to buy someday for my collection is the Neostead 2000 combat shotgun. (Modern Firearms - Neostead shotgun) Here in the US it is completely banned from import, but up North it is unrestricted. Ironic that they would then cause such a hissy fit over a handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    It doesn't suck to be him! It was his fault, HE broke the law!

Would you feel the same way if he got caught carrying into a Federal Bldg?

We ALL need to know the laws, and abide by them.

He deserves to go to jail/prison.
    So you think he is jumping for joy over this?

Never said it wasn't his fault. And I never said I had any sympathy for this idiot at all. And yes I would feel the same way if he got caught carrying into a Federal Bldg. Just as I would about anyone caught breaking that "little known" U.S. law about smuggling cocaine. "Sucks to be him" simply acknowledges that his immediate future is circling the bowl. Says absolutely nothing in regards to whose fault that is. Unless of course his home life is so miserable that he thinks this is a great way to get away from it all. In that case he could be jumping for joy that he is facing at least a year away from it all with all expenses paid.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Ridiculous.

We don't do catch and release. He violated a Federal law by attempting to illegally import a firearm.

Black and white. Cut and dried.
    The Article Says;

Burke says it was a simple mistake, but the Canadian government calls what Burke allegedly did a serious criminal offense.

Burke remembers the day in February when he was arrested while crossing into British Columbia at the Peace Arch: “Mr. Burke, put your hands behind your back. You are under arrest for smuggling a gun into Canada.”
    The conversation should have been;

“Mr. Burke, are you trying to smuggle a gun into Canada?”
    "No sir."
    "You are free to come back anytime without your weapon Mr. Burke, just not today. Leave."

Canadian gun laws are very strictly enforced.

In 2008, 191 firearms were seized from people crossing into B.C. and the Yukon.
    He wasn't importing anything. Walking into my bathroom isn't importing a toothbrush.

He was victimized by the zero tolerance mentality of a draconian system which does not respect a basic human right.

Do I like our firearms laws?

No.
    But, I obey them so I can stay out of prison and still enjoy the limited firearms rights I do have.
    You exercise the privileged use of adult toys that the government let you have in order to control you.

There are no rights, no freedoms, no liberty that can be restricted by rule of law or force of arms.

Does Canada prevent women and blacks from voting too?

I am not talking about the backwater laws up in Canada. I know he broke their law and he's going to be punished for it.

All I am saying is that it is not right.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M203Sniper View Post
    The Article Says;

The conversation should have been;

“Mr. Burke, are you trying to smuggle a gun into Canada?”
    "No sir."
    "You are free to come back anytime without your weapon Mr. Burke, just not today. Leave."

He wasn't importing anything. Walking into my bathroom isn't importing a toothbrush.

He was victimized by the zero tolerance mentality of a draconian system which does not respect a basic human right.

You exercise the privileged use of adult toys that the government let you have in order to control you.

There are no rights, no freedoms, no liberty that can be restricted by rule of law or force of arms.

Does Canada prevent women and blacks from voting too?

I am not talking about the backwater laws up in Canada. I know he broke their law and he's going to be punished for it.

All I am saying is that it is not right.
    We will have to agree to disagree.

I have traveled all over the world and I do not know any Country that will just punt you if you are caught bringing in something that is illegal/tightly controlled in that Country.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Sounds like this guy is lucky to have committed a major firearms crime, and yet when he does get out, still have his right to own a gun.
    I really find the American's who think they can just crap all over another Countries laws and then say, "Oopsie" now have the right to just go on home, no harm- no foul, to be very funny!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
    Sounds like this guy is lucky to have committed a major firearms crime, and yet when he does get out, still have his right to own a gun.
    He will have a criminal record.

I don't remember if the article said what state he is from but unless he crossed the border from his own state, he may have also violated several state laws as well.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    I don't remember if the article said what state he is from but unless he crossed the border from his own state, he may have also violated several state laws as well.
    He's from Tacoma and I think this says it all...........

The CBSA declined Clancy’s request for an interview, but the agency's investigation reveals that Burke seemed nervous at the border crossing and had a hard time answering questions.

Usually a sign of hiding something.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Don't be so quick to judge on this issue. We don't know what occurred.

Our legal system is derived in great measure from English Common Law, as is the Canadian system, and habeas corpus was a part of English law since the Magna Carta, I think.
    I'm not judging at all, and you are correct that the habeas corpus concept was derived from English law. My point was to highlight the fact that two nations whose legal systems had the same origin 500 years ago could be so vastly different today.

And to be clear, I have little sympathy for the knucklehead who violated Canadian weapons law. However, it was a statutory violation, as opposed to an active, offensive crime against people or property. Locking someone up for 8 days without bail in the US would have Amnesty International, Jane Fonda and Hillary Clinton being interviewed three times a day on NPR.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member

for Gasmitty

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    And to be clear, I have little sympathy for the knucklehead who violated Canadian weapons law. However, it was a statutory violation, as opposed to an active, offensive crime against people or property. Locking someone up for 8 days without bail in the US would have Amnesty International, Jane Fonda and Hillary Clinton being interviewed three times a day on NPR.
    Yes, 8 days without bail is a long time. What we don't know is if that was because their courts didn't get around to dealing with him in a timely fashion (unlikely) or if he just couldn't make the bail. We also don't know if the little courtesies of a consular visit were observed and fulfilled.

We all know what is going to happen here. Just as in the US, there will be a plea bargain, the guy will get time served and deported, unless there is more to the story.

They really aren't all that different up there from us, down here; especially so in the English central portion of the country.

If no plea bargain, the guy is going to get a fair trial, he is going to have a defense attorney, and he will get both a conviction and a reasonable sentence. Of course the prosecutor wants 3 years. They always ask for the max. before settling for what the judge will go along with. Its the same all over.

BTW, living in Tacoma, that close to Canada, he knew the rules. And as others have posted, you know where your gun is. If you can't keep that part straight you shouldn't be carrying.

P.S. I lived 90 miles from Toronto for a year. It was 36 years ago and I wasn't happy that I had to move there to find work, so left at the first chance I could. But, really, daily life isn't any different from here and it is irksome when I read posts from folks who know nothing about the place smear the country. They were our staunchest allies in WWII and are our largest trading partner today--China notwithstanding. We need to remember that they are our friends and not some foreign enemy as some (especially on certain TV networks) would have you think. Frankly, The UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, possibly The Netherlands, probably Israel, are about the only countries in the world that wouldn't gladly shaft us. No point in making enemies out of friends.

If he hadn't crossed the border yet, then there was no crime. If he had crossed the border, then it is bad light on the border guards for not finding it. If they did find it and didn't say anything until he crossed, then they are partly culpable too.

IMO he should have been kicked out of Canada and been told never to come back and that be the end of it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links