Little known law (?)

This is a discussion on Little known law (?) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by KralBlbec You didnt read what I said. If they knew he had it and waited until it was already in the country ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 79

Thread: Little known law (?)

  1. #61
    VIP Member Array rottkeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    3,194
    Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    You didnt read what I said. If they knew he had it and waited until it was already in the country to say anything then they pretty much set him up, regardless of if he knew he had it or that it was illegal. Its like waiting to have a baggage check until you are on the plane itself. By that time it is already too late and they set you up for failure. Had he still been on US territory and found out about it, then there would have been no crime and he could have gone back home.

    We don't know at what point the guards found out about it, so its really just speculation on everybodys part.
    Your argument makes no sense unless the agents have x-ray vision. IF he didn't know until it was found then how would the border agents know?

    Do you think another state within his own country would just say, oops ya better head back to your own state now as you are committing a crime in our state. NO they would charge him with the crime committed.
    If he is that stupid to forget he has the weapon (which I don't believe) or didn't know the law (which I don't believe) he is still guilty of the charge.
    Truthfully I think he knew it was there and knew the law but was trying to take the gun anyway. JMHO
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

    NRA Member

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #62
    VIP Member
    Array GunnyBunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Victoria, B.C.
    Posts
    3,960
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Your argument makes no sense unless the agents have x-ray vision. IF he didn't know until it was found then how would the border agents know?

    Do you think another state within his own country would just say, oops ya better head back to your own state now as you are committing a crime in our state. NO they would charge him with the crime committed.
    If he is that stupid to forget he has the weapon (which I don't believe) or didn't know the law (which I don't believe) he is still guilty of the charge.
    Truthfully I think he knew it was there and knew the law but was trying to take the gun anyway. JMHO
    Yep!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

  4. #63
    Member Array KralBlbec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    416
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    How would the Canadian Border Services know he had it while he was still on the US side of the border.

    Your argument does not hold water.
    i posed three postulates. I've never been through to Canada so IDK what the procedures are.

  5. #64
    VIP Member
    Array GunnyBunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Victoria, B.C.
    Posts
    3,960
    Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    i posed three postulates. I've never been through to Canada so IDK what the procedures are.
    There is no "Checkpoint Charlie" as you leave the US. The US authorities rarely if never stop you or even have any contact with you when you drive North.

    As seen in this video, at roughly the two minute mark, you are driving in the US with VERY clear signage that you are heading for Canada. You cross the border with no pomp or circumstance and you are in Canada approaching the Border Services booth.

    YouTube - USA Canada Border

    This is not the same crossing as the idiot from Tacoma took, but they're all pretty much the same.

    Watch and learn how it works.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

  6. #65
    Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    usa-southeast texas
    Posts
    1,702
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Sorry, but I've got no sympathy for this guy. With the right to bear arms comes the responsibility to do so lawfully.

    You don't "just forget" where you left a loaded firearm.....

    Matt
    That is right.In the 1980's , a lady I knew 'forgot' she had a pistol in her bag she checked at the airport. This was in Houston. She was cuffed,went to jail for over 48 hours and barely escaped prison. It was very costly for her. Canada has a right to pass laws,if you want to break them,pay the price.

  7. #66
    Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Augusta,Maine
    Posts
    1,555
    Before I even think about taking a firearm with me to a new state let a lone a country I want to know the rules for the country where I was going just common sense.

  8. #67
    VIP Member Array mcp1810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,949
    Quote Originally Posted by M203Sniper View Post
    If you cross into Mexico and they kill you because they outlawed interracial marriages then that is your fault for not knowing the laws.
    Exactly.

    It is called personal responsibility. Each one of us is responsible for knowing the laws where we are and obeying them. If we are going to cross into another jurisdiction we are responsible for knowing the laws there and obeying them while we are there.

    Once you exit the United States of America your Constitutional Rights are worth about as much as warm cup of horse wee-wee. Even less in some places. There are a number of places where you are guilty until you prove yourself innocent. There are places where you get your backside caned for chewing gum. The only legal protections you have anywhere else are what the locals have. When someone from the embassy or consulate comes to visit, they are just going to explain that to you, and see if there is anyone back home they can call for you. They might be able to refer you to a good local lawyer. If you are convicted of theft in some of the middle eastern states they can probably negotiate a prison sentence instead of getting your hand cut off. But there is no guarantee of that.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

  9. #68
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,177
    Whose to say that this guy isn't smuggling guns into Canada and selling them on the black market,only this time he got caught,they look at how many times you cross into the country and sometimes if your suspected of illegal activity when they enter you in the system an alert will come up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  10. #69
    Member Array XDm40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    42
    I wonder how the Crips, The Bloods, The Hells Angels,and the like all get their guns into Canada. Oh thats right they don't exist up there, my bad. It must have been those 38 people who forgot to remove their weapons before crossing the border.
    Proud Member of the NRA

  11. #70
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,177
    My wife told me that you can walk down on IIRC Saint Catherines street in Montreal and if you got the money buy a handgun on the black market,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  12. #71
    VIP Member
    Array GunnyBunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Victoria, B.C.
    Posts
    3,960
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    My wife told me that you can walk down on IIRC Saint Catherines street in Montreal and if you got the money buy a handgun on the black market,
    It doesn't just happen in Montreal.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

  13. #72
    Member Array M203Sniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    Please explain how, in any way, my statement is a "strawman argument". I never discussed the penalty and whether or not it was appropriate. I simply stated that is culpable for not knowing the law or "forgetting" he had a gun. So, if you would, please explain how he is not culpable and hence, my statement being a "strawman argument". Not trying to be argumentative, but I truly don't see how you can think he is not culpable.
    Respectfully,
    Gonzo
    He is responsible for breaking the law.

    The Law in Canada violates his rights.

    I recognize that he would be punished and found that concept offensive.

    IN MY OPINION

    Agreeing with the consequences of such a horrid law is indefensible.

    Your assertion that he is culpable for his actions takes only one piece of the argument I had made and diverted it to a black and white topic. A strawman was being built.

    If he had been pulled over in New Jersey and was found to have hollow points would he be in jail.

    Yes.
    I like Canada less than I like New Jersey. They deny you your rights there also.

    That is my opinion. I never once said he wouldn't be punished. I said the punishment doesn't fit the crime and equated the Canadian government to that of China and Germany for such human rights violations.

    I even made up a horrible and violent situation in a fictional Mexico where people lost life and dignity because they crossed the line on a map. I used this example to attempt to illustrate that denying a person the right and ability to defend themselves is the same as assisting directly in the murder.

    Places like NJ, Canada and others that punish you for holding an inanimate object are trying to kill you. I disagree with the position that they have the ability to do that. "That" being the apprehension and holding a person accountable as a felon because of a statue that is mala prohibita in nature and not inherently evil.

    The power that they hold is based on perception and mis-information, they have the ability to take away your liberty because we as a common society do not stand up for the rights of others.

    Carrying a firearm is not the same as using it in a violent act.

    Carrying a single loaded personal gun is not illegally importing it.

    That is just my opinion and it's worth about as much as you paid for it. Discussion is welcome, but please don't tell me he deserves to go to jail because he broke a law.

    Criminal offenses can be broken down into two general categories malum in se and malum prohibitum. The distinction between malum in se and malum prohibitum offenses is best characterized as follows: a malum in se offense is "naturally evil as adjudged by the sense of a civilized community," whereas a malum prohibitum offense is wrong only because a statute makes it so. State v. Horton, 139 N.C. 588, 51 S.E. 945, 946 (1905).
    "Public welfare offenses" are a subset of malum prohibitum offenses as they are typically regulatory in nature and often "'result in no direct or immediate injury to person or property but merely create the danger or probability of it which the law seeks to minimize.'" Bash, 130 Wn.2d at 607 (quoting Morissette v. United States, 342 U.S. 246, 255-56, 72 S. Ct. 240, 96 L. Ed. 288 (1952)); see also State v. Carty, 27 Wn. App. 715, 717, 620 P.2d 137 (1980).
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

  14. #73
    Member Array M203Sniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    238
    Here are a few examples of laws that should be broken simply because they exist.

    No person may walk about in public if he or she has the common cold.

    X-rays may not be used to fit shoes.

    All motor vehicles must be preceded by a man carrying a red flag (daytime) or a red lantern (nighttime) fifty feet in front of said vehicle.

    It is illegal to pretend that one’s parents are rich.

    You cannot buy meat of any kind on Sunday.

    Dumb Laws in Washington. Crazy Washington Laws. We have weird laws, strange laws, and just plain crazy laws!
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

  15. #74
    VIP Member
    Array GunnyBunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Victoria, B.C.
    Posts
    3,960
    Did he or did he not violate a Federal law regardless of your opinion of this law?

    Yes.

    Did he or did he not illegally import a firearm into a sovereign Nation regardless of your opinion of that Nation (mine by the way)?

    Yes.

    Was he in possession of a loaded firearm in a place where it may not be loaded?

    Yes.

    I could go on.

    One of the things this forum promotes is obeying the law, no matter your opinion of it.

    Your arguments that his rights were violated are ludicrous.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

  16. #75
    VIP Member
    Array sigmanluke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,209
    I do agree that personal protection, (carriage of a firearm), is a human RIGHT. I know not everyone agrees with me. Canada, as a country obviously doesn't, and that is their business.

    The law was broken, no matter whether or not I agree with it. He should be punished accordingly.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

bringing ammunition into canada

,
little known rochester ny laws
,
neostead 2000 in usa
,
neostead 2000 ny legal
,

storing a handgun before going over canadian border from maine

Click on a term to search for related topics.