Bad Thanksgiving Weekend In Chicago

This is a discussion on Bad Thanksgiving Weekend In Chicago within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 9 People Slain In Bloody Thanksgiving Holiday Weekend - cbs2chicago.com CHICAGO (CBS) ― It was a violent and deadly holiday weekend in the Chicago area, ...

Thread: Bad Thanksgiving Weekend In Chicago

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Bad Thanksgiving Weekend In Chicago

9 People Slain In Bloody Thanksgiving Holiday Weekend - cbs2chicago.com

CHICAGO (CBS) ―

It was a violent and deadly holiday weekend in the Chicago area, with nine people reported slain between Wednesday and Sunday nights.

The violence began around 5 p.m. Thanksgiving eve, when Shannon Moore, 18, was found lying on the ground with gunshot wounds in the hallway of a building at 537 E. 44th St.

A witness who saw Moore involved in an argument went to call police, and as he was going to make the call he heard multiple gunshots, Perez said.

Moore was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where he died at 4:45 p.m. Saturday, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's office.

In the early morning hours of Thanksgiving Day, a shooting at an Englewood gas station left one man dead.

Ricky Coleman, 21, was shot at the gas station at 810 W. 59th St., and was pronounced dead at 1:35 a.m. at Saint Bernard Hospital and Health Care Center, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's office. The man was in the street when an unidentified gunman approached on foot and fired several shots at him about 12:30 a.m., police News Affairs Officer Hector Alfaro said.

On Friday, two separate incidents of murder-suicide were reported, including a newlywed couple on the city's West Side and a Markham man who shot himself after shooting his ex-girlfriend and another man in south suburban Sauk Village.

At about 9:10 p.m., Sauk Village police responded to a call at 22454 Jeffrey Avenue on Friday night and found a woman who had been shot. In a nearby driveway, police also found 43-year-old Robert Allen of Carthage, Miss., fatally shot.

The suspect, Paul Gunn, was later stopped by police in the area of 162nd and Dixie Highway in Markham. Gunn, who was armed, turned the weapon on himself and died of a gunshot wound to the chest. He was taken to Ingalls Memorial Hospital in Harvey, where he was pronounced dead at 10:44 p.m., according to the medical examiner's office.

The woman who was shot was reportedly Gunn's girlfriend or ex-girlfriend, according to a source.

Earlier that day, a woman was found murdered in an East Garfield Park neighborhood apartment, possibly shot to death by her husband—who then took his own life.

Claudette Coleman, 30, was found fatally shot in her home at 3429 W. Madison St. Police responded to the apartment building where she lived just before 2 a.m. -- three hours after Coleman's husband was found with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound on the street at 3311 W. Monroe St., police said.

Antwone Coleman, 28, also of the Madison Street address, reportedly shot himself and was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 12:20 a.m., according to the medical examiner's office.

At least two others lost their lives to gunshots in the Chicago area on Friday, both on the West Side.

During an armed robbery on the West Side, Anthony Bryant, 40, was fatally shot at about 11 a.m. Friday, News Affairs Sgt. Antoinette Ursitti said.

Bryant was at a home in at 2741 W. Wilcox St., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's office. A second man, in his 30s, was with the victim, although he was not harmed, Ursitti said. News Affairs Officer Ron Gaines said the robber got away with a cell phone and cash.

Nearby, an Austin man was also fatally shot in his home on the West Side.

Robert Barber, 36, was shot at 435 S. Central Ave. and taken to Mount Sinai Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 4:07 p.m., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office. He had a gunshot wound to his chest, authorities said.

The violence on the West Side continued on Saturday.

On Saturday, 29-year-old Roy Williams died after being shot multiple times by two men in the North Lawndale neighborhood. The shooting occurred shortly after midnight on the 1300 block of South Central Park Avenue, Perez said.

After he was initially shot while sitting in his car, he tried to drive away from his assailants but he crashed into a parked car and was shot again, before collapsing in the street and dying about 40 minutes after he was found by emergency personnel, Perez said.

In the same night, at about 2:30 a.m., police found a Dolton man fatally shot in the South Side's Auburn-Gresham neighborhood.

Corday Keys, 29, of Dolton, was fatally shot at 1858 W. 80th St., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's office. He was dead on the scene.

Police responded to a call of shots fired at the 80th Street address at 2:30 a.m. and found Keys in the street with multiple gunshot wounds to the head, back and arms, Perez said. He also said Keys is believed to have had gang affiliations.

In south suburban Summit, a man also died early Sunday after he was fatally shot less than one mile from his home.

Treondes Spriggs, 28, of 7651 W. 62nd St., was shot at 7543 W. 61st Pl., a spokesman for the Cook County Medical Examiner's office said.

Spriggs was taken to Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood where he was pronounced dead at 5:05 a.m., the spokesman said.
    But, but, I thought guns were illegal in Chicago? How could this happen?
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Remember, O-vomit’ said that Chicago would be a great place for the next Olympics.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

The suspect, Paul Gunn, was later stopped by police in the area of 162nd and Dixie Highway in Markham
    Did anyone not see the irony in this?

Guns are illegal in Chicago, but only for Law Abiding Citizens.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Guns are illegal in Chicago, but only for Law Abiding Citizens.
    That's right, because we sure don't want to allow law-abiding citizens to be able to defend themselves from scumbags who have illegal guns. Obviously Chicago's gun control laws are working for them, if their goal is to thin out the population.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Gun free zones are really hard on folks that live in them, change the law or move.

Remember murder is in the heart of the person that is committing murder the weapon used can be any thing.

When people are NOT allowed to defend them selves by unconstitutional laws then they are at the mercy of the murder.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Vote with your feet. Move and take your tax dollars with you.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Links