Gun control in action

This is a discussion on Gun control in action within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Thugs give North End family a frightful night | Winnipeg | News | Winnipeg Sun Thugs give North End family a frightful night By SUN ...

Thread: Gun control in action

VIP Member

Thumbs down Gun control in action

Thugs give North End family a frightful night | Winnipeg | News | Winnipeg Sun

Thugs give North End family a frightful night
    By SUN MEDIA

A North End family got a big scare late Wednesday night when a group of armed thugs barged into their home and robbed them at gunpoint.

A mother -- who asked not to be identified -- and her four children were at their home in the 100-block of McKenzie Street about 11 p.m. when they heard a knock on the door.

"I thought it was my son's girlfriend," she said. "It was three guys and a girl, they came into the house. One had a gun and the other one pulled out a machete. They wanted money and whatever else we had."

The woman said the man armed with the gun, which she described as a small handgun, was pointing it at her and her son.

"I just kept looking at the gun and hoping nothing happened," she said. "It was scary."

The woman said the man armed with the machete went upstairs where her two youngest children were, while another knocked over her TV and stole her kids' video games, her son's rings and some money she had been saving for Christmas.

"Everything just happened so fast," she said.

'Screaming at her'

At one point the woman's oldest son, who is 18, began wrestling with the gun-wielding thug near the door and managed to somehow break the gun in half, the woman said.

The machete-toting thug, who had since returned downstairs, then smacked the eldest son in the face with the weapon, slicing his lip.

The woman's 16-year-old son then in turn smashed the thug with a two-by-four, breaking the board in half and knocking down the attacker, she said.

All three of the robbers then ran away, the woman said, adding she managed to keep the girl in the house until police arrived.

"She was saying she didn't know them," the woman said. "I was screaming at her."

The woman said she didn't know her attackers and believes her home was chosen at random.

Police have arrested a 25-year-old man and a 17-year-old male in connection with the incident. Both have been charged with robbery, break and enter, carrying a concealed weapon and other firearm offences.

Police did not release the name of the adult male pending the arrest of a third suspect.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Broke the gun in half? Was this a toy gun?

Scary just the same for them.

Know who's at your door BEFORE you open it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Good thing they haven't outlaw 2x4's yet!
    If you cannot stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

If you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself..."Baa."

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Thats what I was going to say. Either that or really really cheap.

One had a gun and the other one pulled out a machete.
    Guess they need to outlaw machetes now

Oh I am sure we will see and article about the 16 year old being brought up on charges for using a piece of wood as a weapon.

Glad they came through it on the good side. You just never know who might be knocking on your door.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post

Scary just the same for them.

Know who's at your door BEFORE you open it.
    Somehow, I think more likely, he somehow managed to remove the slide. To a non-gun person in a panic, it'd look like he "broke" the gun in half, I guess.

And yup, always know. Still don't understand people who just open the door all the way, or even some of the way, no matter who it is.

Links