Mother and Daughter shot while riding horses

This is a discussion on Mother and Daughter shot while riding horses within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Mississippi road hunter. I can't figure out why so many of the hunters here won't get out of sight of their truck. Biggest problem is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mother and Daughter shot while riding horses

Mother and Daughter shot while riding horses

Mississippi road hunter. I can't figure out why so many of the hunters here won't get out of sight of their truck. Biggest problem is during dog seasons here. This was right down the road from my house.

Trail riders recall shooting

Rider recovering after hunter accidentally shoots her

DESOTO NATIONAL FORREST (WLOX) - It happened on the Big Foot horse trail, a recreation area located at the Harrison-Stone County line. A mother and daughter were accidentally shot by a deer hunter, a hunter who then carried the wounded child to his truck and took mom and daughter to a waiting ambulance. The tragedy sparks concerns and unanswered questions.

Horse Trail Rider Christian Papale said, "I was shaking. I just, I never in my life would have thought I'd ever see what I had seen."

Christian Papale was expecting a happy time on the horse trails Sunday afternoon.

Papale said, "Jordan was excited. This was their first time coming out. We were going to be here for a couple of hours and then go home. But it ended way different. A mix of horse riders and hunters made it different this time. This was opening weekend for deer season hunting... with dogs.

"Being an observant rider, keeping aware of my surroundings, saw the white truck, and not more than two minutes after that, that's when the first gunshot was," Papale said. "And I knew it was right on us. I knew he was right next to us. The group behind them also heard the shots."

Horse Trail Rider Cindy Campbell said, "We heard the two shots, and I looked at her and said that sure was close. And she said yes. And then we heard the screaming."

Papale recalled, "Jordan was screaming I'm scared; I'm scared. And no more than she got that out, the second shot went off."

That second shot did more than scare the horses and riders.

"Rebecca realized she had gotten shot in the leg. And she had started jumping off her horse when Jordan started screaming, 'It hurt; it hurt.' And we realized she wasn't screaming because she was scared. She was also shot," Papale said.

The two women and girls were in shock, as was the hunter who came to see what happened.

Papale: "At that point, I was looking around, screaming and screaming, 'You shot someone! You shot someone!' I'd seen that guy coming down from the road, walking towards us through the bushes," Papale remembered. "I said, 'Get over here. You've got to help us. You have to help us!'"

The hunter carried the wounded child to his truck and drove mother and daughter to a waiting ambulance. Horse riders wonder how their animals could be mistaken for deer.

Campbell said, "They're pretty high up. I just don't see how it could have been mistaken. I'm not saying the boy did this intentionally. But one shot, that could be an accident. Two shots? That's a problem."

"I hope that what this guy's gone through, I hope it puts a dent in his heart, and I hope he thinks about it for the rest of his life, 'cause I know I sure will," Papale said.

The Department of Wildlife Fisheries and Parks is investigating the accidental shooting. The deer hunter, 24-year-old Evan Joseph Kane of Perkinston, has been cited for 'hunting from a public road' which is a misdemeanor.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

2. Remove Ads

dumb, dumb, dumb. Some people shouldn't be allowed to hunt when they make mistakes like this.

I hunt every weekend (with dogs) and have never in my life heard of something like this. We hunt on private property and we know the difference between a deer and a horse. I would like to know why this guy was on public property and who set it up.

It is National Forest land and legal to hunt. Just not from the road. Road hunting is a big problem here during dog season. It is common to see hunters lined up on paved roads, with high powered rifles and the school bus coming down the road.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

We need to hunt the road hunters. Take out their tires..

Still this kid should know what a deer looks like. He lucky he didnt kill anybody!

A mother and daughter were accidentally shot by a deer hunter, a hunter who then carried the wounded child to his truck and took mom and daughter to a waiting ambulance.
    Hm. He bloody well knew they weren't deer, hogs or moose when he carried them to the car and hospital. It's a wonder he couldn't have determined that when it really mattered, a moment earlier.

Utterly preventable.

Strange. I can make out a squirrel from a weed at 600yds with the relatively cruddy glass I've got on my .243, and yet time and again we get stories of "hunters" who can't tell an elk from a wood shed. Since life is on the line, one would think "hunters" could wait just a moment for positive confirmation that it's even got four legs, before shooting and risking homicide with a target they have yet to identify.

Perhaps the NRA should add a new course: Idiot Rejection Seminar 101; Idiot Rejection Made Easy; and Idiot Rejection for Numnuts Wannabe 'Hunters' in Training.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have been hunting for almost all of my life. When I moved to SC they made me take a silly hunter safety course, now I understand why. I think this kid could have used a couple of hours sittin down with someone telling him to identify target BEFORE pulling the trigger.

At his age, in the state of Mississippi he would have been required to attend hunter safety. Hunter Safety is required of all persons born after JAN 1, 1972 in Mississippi. The area where he was hunting is legal bucks only while he was hunting. Do you think idiot boy verified that this "buck" had at least a 10 inch inside spread or a 13 inch main beam. I think not.

Anybody that shoots a rider on a horse needs to go to Prison,I have never seen anybody riding a wild deer in my life
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Just like the idiot last year that shot a woman (killed I think) that he mistook for a bear. In Seattle area I believe.

The DW and I ride a lot in NF in Colorado. During hunting season we both were the Phosphor Orange. I will consider adding the Phosphor Lime-Green with Silver Reflective Tape now.

Road hunting out here is a big no-no too, and I've never seen it done, yet.

Pretty inexcusable, whether Mississippi and Colorado.

We started decorating the horses during hunting season as well. The thought of trying to explain to someone that I just want to take my saddle off of their "Elk" before they take it home scares me a little.

They just have whitetail in Mississippi right? He must have thought he was going to set a state record with his 1200 lb whitetail.

People are not making sure what it is they are shooting, before they pull that trigger.... excitement of seeing something they "think" is a deer, does not make it one.
    I've had shots hit near me, and been shot at purpose. I never go on the land unarmed now as a result and no one is allowed to hunt there anymore. Doesn't stop a lot of them tho...

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Anybody that shoots a rider on a horse needs to go to Prison,I have never seen anybody riding a wild deer in my life
    +1

I think charges should be brought against him.There has to be some accountability here.This wasn't an "accident" it was carelessness. If you can't tell the difference between a deer and a horse with a rider you don't need to be hunting.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links