Good idea, bad discipline, fatal result - Page 2

Good idea, bad discipline, fatal result

This is a discussion on Good idea, bad discipline, fatal result within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I will NEVER hand anyone a loaded gun BINGO! You win the prize! At our local range, magazines may be loaded behind the line, but ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good idea, bad discipline, fatal result

I will NEVER hand anyone a loaded gun
    BINGO! You win the prize! At our local range, magazines may be loaded behind the line, but not inserted anywhere except at the line. Revolvers are loaded at the line only. The active shooter loads their own weapon. Muzzles are ALWAYS pointed down range. If a gun is being handled offline, there is a plastic warning flag inserted into the action or cylinder. Violations of these rules get you kicked out - possibly permanently.

I even get nervous when I look into the muzzle or point it at myself when cleaning (sometimes you gotta), even with the slide off or the cylinder open.

Tragic, and made even more tragic because it was so easily preventable.

"Familiarity breeds contempt" is an old proverb, and this is a prime example. NEVER let your guard down around firearms - EVER. It's like Myth Busters. "Never try this at home - EVER."

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Its really a bad practice to hand off a loaded weapon... best is to make safe the firearm then hand it off to the shooter which can ready the firearm.
    You never know what will transpire during the exchange. The receiving person could drop it. Either player could have a stray finger. "Lax" safety procedures could creep in, as appears to be the case here.

I agree. Either make the weapon "safe" before handing it over, or better yet unload, show clear, put it down, have the other person then pick it up, show clear, make ready, then take it from there. We do this in IPSC competitions. No reason to not do the same simple procedures during all other handling situations. Much safer.

Data Point -- Earlier in the year, I took a friend to the range for a bit of multi-caliber refreshment. He had little experience with firearms and practically none with pistols. So, we took it from square one, literally. We focused on safety, hammering it home with everything we did. All safety steps were spoken out loud, explained and then tied to the procedure we were doing, whether approaching a gun, picking it up, making safe, putting it down, handing it to another person, making clear, reloading a magazine, etc. We started with one gun, then others. We started with no ammo, then slowly introduced one or two rounds into the mags. As he progressed, we continued to switch between guns and hammer the procedures slowly and methodically until it all became second nature to him. He finally developed a sort of "mental muscle memory" related to the procedures, as it became second nature. Still, if we go out again, we'll focus on safety at each step. Better safe than sorry.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Eagleks sez...

I will NEVER hand anyone a loaded gun, only "locked OPEN" and no mag.
    That's how I do it... and the the other person doesn't know how to release the slide and insert a magazine, I wouldn't hand it to them anyway...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links