Man defends girlfriend, shoots would-be carjacker

This is a discussion on Man defends girlfriend, shoots would-be carjacker within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but here in Ohio cant you only use deadly force to keep from being carjacked in your or an ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Man defends girlfriend, shoots would-be carjacker

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but here in Ohio cant you only use deadly force to keep from being carjacked in your or an imediate relatives car? meaning if you are in the passenger seat of your GF's car you must first attempt to retreat before you procede to leathal force?
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    Better a shot girlfriend than a dead one.

It sounds like the thug was armed, in which case I wouldn't take any chances. Sometimes you have to act quickly in circumstances that are less than ideal.
    I say neither.

Give the dirtbag the car and purse, if he starts to fire his weapon then open up on him, but only as a last resort.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I say neither.

Give the dirtbag the car and purse, if he starts to fire his weapon then open up on him, but only as a last resort.

You're kidding, right?
    You wait until he starts SHOOTING? What if the first shot is to your head...good luck with that scenario.

If given the chance to defend, no waiting, no questions, no maybe's...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You're kidding, right?
    You wait until he starts SHOOTING? What if the first shot is to your head...good luck with that scenario.

Right on.

It only takes a fraction of a second to conclude that you should have shot first; if you live long enough to reach that conclusion. And by then it's too late.

By initiating a violent crime, the perpetrator immediately establishes the boundaries for the encounter: None. He is clearly disregarding the law in a significant way and I have neither the time nor the bulletproof skin required to strike up a dialogue and determine exactly where he draws the line on every other moral choice.

If you willingly choose to hand over control of the situation to someone who has just proven his lack of moral values and submit to his decision-making skills, then you have no right to complain about the results. Sometimes in life you only get two options to choose from: Bad and Worse. Why let the thug in front of you make the decision for you? Because you think he might really be an "okay" guy? That's just stupid.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You're kidding, right?

LOL, not literally there trigger. I said, if he starts to fire his weapon, as if I perceive him to begin to fire by mannerisms and demeanor. It's like being in a fist fight, that might be presumptuous on my part to think that you have, but I have been in plenty. I don't know about you, but I know when some clown is about to throw a punch at me, and in plenty of time to counter it with a duck or a punch my own. JFYI I've had my hat handed to me plenty of times in my 40 + years, but I've also handed plenty back too.

Respectfully, I'll take my tactful approach any day over pullin my pistol and start to bast away and possibly killing my wife or an innocent bystander, that's just something I couldn't live with.... Besides this is all moot anyway. The dirtbag never gets close enough to get my wife in the crossfire.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Maybe...rather than reading crossfire the story should read shot by robber. Just not enough info. If she was shot by the boyfriend she should break up with him.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Bfunk View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but here in Ohio cant you only use deadly force to keep from being carjacked in your or an imediate relatives car? meaning if you are in the passenger seat of your GF's car you must first attempt to retreat before you procede to leathal force?
    Carjacking is a felony, blast away
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Where did you see in this article that the carjacker was armed?
    It was not directly stated that the thug was armed, but you must understand, that here in Michigan, It is a pressumption that any knuckledragger worth his salt, would not dream of going about his day, raping, robbing and pilliaging unarmed.
    I would chalk it up to a desensitized media who just assume the perps are totin'

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death! Patrick Henry
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links