Man defends girlfriend, shoots would-be carjacker

This is a discussion on Man defends girlfriend, shoots would-be carjacker within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Posted: 7:23 a.m. Dec. 1, 2009 Man defends girlfriend, shoots would-be carjacker BY TAMMY STABLES BATTAGLIA FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER A 29-year-old man with a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man defends girlfriend, shoots would-be carjacker

Posted: 7:23 a.m. Dec. 1, 2009

BY TAMMY STABLES BATTAGLIA
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

A 29-year-old man with a permit to carry a gun shot a would-be carjacker in the hip in northwest Detroit on Monday night after he tried to rob the man's girlfriend, police said this morning.

The 24-year-old suspect approached the woman at about 10:30 p.m. outside a club at Grand River and Woodbine, according to police.

When he demanded her car and her purse, her boyfriend shot him.

The girlfriend, caught in crossfire, was shot in the back but is expected to survive, Detroit Police spokesman John Roach said this morning.

The carjacking suspect is also expected to survive.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009120...d-be-carjacker

Last edited by cbp210; December 2nd, 2009 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Forgot link

2. Remove Ads

Hmm, I don't know about this one. There aren't enough details to know how the girlfriend got shot or if there were better courses of action.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Yup, more info needed.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

More info needed. Was the guy a threat to life , and what's the laws there on protecting property outside the home ?

If I read this right the carjacker was armed, so this is pure self defense.

He could of easily shot both opponents in the car making it a double murder.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    If I read this right the carjacker was armed, so this is pure self defense.
    Where did you see in this article that the carjacker was armed?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Where did you see in this article that the carjacker was armed?
    Keyword......"crossfire". Interesting. I was looking for a nice win for the good guys in today's headlines, but this one is missing just a little bit.

VIP Member
    Practice practice practice!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Better a shot girlfriend than a dead one.

It sounds like the thug was armed, in which case I wouldn't take any chances. Sometimes you have to act quickly in circumstances that are less than ideal.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

I was under the impression that all self defense situations are less than ideal. That is the reality of why we carry isn't it?
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Keyword......"crossfire". Interesting. I was looking for a nice win for the good guys in today's headlines, but this one is missing just a little bit.
    I think this may be open to interpretation, depending on the writer of the story. The word "crossfire" in this context, could mean the shot that the boyfriend fired. Need more info.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    Better a shot girlfriend than a dead one.

It sounds like the thug was armed, in which case I wouldn't take any chances. Sometimes you have to act quickly in circumstances that are less than ideal.
    Reminds me of a movie quote (cant remember the movie though, maybe someone can figure it out and not that I or anyone should ever DO this)

"What if theyre behind a hostage?"
    "Shoot through the hostage, just dont kill them."
    (Or something like that, cant go word for word, I woke up not long ago)
    ~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Just ties into another thread here. All the more reason to sometimes just let them have the car, wallet or whatever it may be they are after if he is not displaying any signs of a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
    Just ties into another thread here. All the more reason to sometimes just let them have the car, wallet or whatever it may be they are after if he is not displaying any signs of a weapon.
    OK. You get mugged/carjacked...whatever. You opt to give the BG your wallet, SO's purse, car keys and off he goes. Yay, you are alive and only mildly inconvenienced. You get to a phone, call the police, wait for them to arrive, fill out the report, make another call to a friend to have them come pick you up and take you home.

Meanwhile...

The BG having gone through your car and other personal items, has determined that your house that he now has the address and keys to is ripe for the pickings. He makes a call, has his coworkers meet him there, and in 10min or less has cleaned out your house of all your high dollar easily moved belongings, and was not neat about it.

You finally arrive home 2-3 hours after you were jacked to find you now need to make another call to the police, wait for them to arrive, fill out another report then start accessing what all is missing.

Meanwhile....

Your credit cards have been maxed out, bank accounts overdrawn in debit transactions...

But hey, the insurance will take care of you eventually, after they have verified your receipts for purchases (you did keep those didn't you, or at least have pictures of them?) and sometime in the next 6 months your credit card issues will be resolved and hopefully get things cleared up with the credit bureaus from the identity theft. Oh yeah, you are alive and uninjured. Hopefully they will not make a return visit after your items get replaced.

I know this is a bit on the extreme side, but not unheard of.

Where do you draw the line in defense of property?
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Right, I go through all that pain in the butt stuff (maybe) but my wife doesn't get shot (though not seriously in this instance). To each their own but if I am not in the car already and I perceive no threat of harm or death then I am most likely not shooting. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    OK. You get mugged/carjacked...whatever. You opt to give the BG your wallet, SO's purse, car keys and off he goes. Yay, you are alive and only mildly inconvenienced. You get to a phone, call the police, wait for them to arrive, fill out the report, make another call to a friend to have them come pick you up and take you home.

Meanwhile...

The BG having gone through your car and other personal items, has determined that your house that he now has the address and keys to is ripe for the pickings. He makes a call, has his coworkers meet him there, and in 10min or less has cleaned out your house of all your high dollar easily moved belongings, and was not neat about it.

You finally arrive home 2-3 hours after you were jacked to find you now need to make another call to the police, wait for them to arrive, fill out another report then start accessing what all is missing.

Meanwhile....

Your credit cards have been maxed out, bank accounts overdrawn in debit transactions...

But hey, the insurance will take care of you eventually, after they have verified your receipts for purchases (you did keep those didn't you, or at least have pictures of them?) and sometime in the next 6 months your credit card issues will be resolved and hopefully get things cleared up with the credit bureaus from the identity theft. Oh yeah, you are alive and uninjured. Hopefully they will not make a return visit after your items get replaced.

I know this is a bit on the extreme side, but not unheard of.

Where do you draw the line in defense of property?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links