Bankers seeking gun permits ahead of bonus season

This is a discussion on Bankers seeking gun permits ahead of bonus season within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Goldman's call to arms: Bankers seeking gun permits ahead of bonus season Dec 1st 2009 at 2:30PM Goldman Sachs Group (GS) is at the focal ...

VIP Member

Goldman's call to arms: Bankers seeking gun permits ahead of bonus season

Dec 1st 2009 at 2:30PM

Goldman Sachs Group (GS) is at the focal point of the American public's rage against Wall Street -- and probably for good reason. The firm's former chief executives have populated the highest echelons of American government, which has turned around and given Goldman -- and its partner in the current financial collapse American International Group (AIG) -- billions of dollars in taxpayer money.

Now, as bonus season draws near, Bloomberg News reports that nervous Goldman Sachs partners are arming themselves. According to Bloomberg, some senior Goldman bankers are applying for gun permits ahead of the holidays for fear of the public's reaction once they start receiving their year-end rewards.

It's almost enough to make me feel sorry for these titans of finance. Goldman's bankers have already been denied holiday celebrations and the freedom to gather together in groups of more than 12. And, of course, they are also being denied a chance to flaunt their wealth.

It's not as though Goldman hasn't done anything to try to change the public's mood. Goldman recently announced a $500 million fund intended to help small businesses through a combination of training and lending programs. Yet, the announcement hasn't done much to soothe the public's anger -- an anger that I'm sure all of the hedge fund honchos that are set to out-earn Goldman's partners are relieved to see targeted elsewhere.

Once news of the final tally on Goldman's bonuses breaks, the bank is going to face an even tougher public relations campaign. Goldman's partners are expected to receive record bonuses this year. Some bankers fear a repeat of what happened in March to the AIG Financial Products employees who received $165 million in bonuses. Once word got out about the bonuses, demonstrators went to the employees' homes and protested on their front yards.

What Goldman execs need to remember is that the firm wouldn't be doing so well if it weren't for the public's munificence. After all, $12.9 billion of the AIG bailout money went to Goldman. And it is still enjoying $52 billion in low-interest loans from the U.S. government to finance its trading profits.

I am afraid the guns won't protect these Goldman partners. Perhaps a better weapon would be for Goldman to pay reparations for its role in securitizing sub-prime mortgages -- as I suggested last month, maybe it could deposit five years of bonuses in a fund to help people who have been displaced due to foreclosure.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member

Financial reparations

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Goldman's call to arms: Bankers seeking gun permits ahead of bonus season

Dec 1st 2009 at 2:30PM

Goldman Sachs Group (GS) is at the focal point of the American public's rage against Wall Street -- and probably for good reason. The firm's former chief executives have populated the highest echelons of American government, which has turned around and given Goldman -- and its partner in the current financial collapse American International Group (AIG) -- billions of dollars in taxpayer money.

Now, as bonus season draws near, Bloomberg News reports that nervous Goldman Sachs partners are arming themselves. According to Bloomberg, some senior Goldman bankers are applying for gun permits ahead of the holidays for fear of the public's reaction once they start receiving their year-end rewards.

It's almost enough to make me feel sorry for these titans of finance. Goldman's bankers have already been denied holiday celebrations and the freedom to gather together in groups of more than 12. And, of course, they are also being denied a chance to flaunt their wealth.

It's not as though Goldman hasn't done anything to try to change the public's mood. Goldman recently announced a $500 million fund intended to help small businesses through a combination of training and lending programs. Yet, the announcement hasn't done much to soothe the public's anger -- an anger that I'm sure all of the hedge fund honchos that are set to out-earn Goldman's partners are relieved to see targeted elsewhere.

Once news of the final tally on Goldman's bonuses breaks, the bank is going to face an even tougher public relations campaign. Goldman's partners are expected to receive record bonuses this year. Some bankers fear a repeat of what happened in March to the AIG Financial Products employees who received $165 million in bonuses. Once word got out about the bonuses, demonstrators went to the employees' homes and protested on their front yards.

What Goldman execs need to remember is that the firm wouldn't be doing so well if it weren't for the public's munificence. After all, $12.9 billion of the AIG bailout money went to Goldman. And it is still enjoying $52 billion in low-interest loans from the U.S. government to finance its trading profits.

I am afraid the guns won't protect these Goldman partners. Perhaps a better weapon would be for Goldman to pay reparations for its role in securitizing sub-prime mortgages -- as I suggested last month, maybe it could deposit five years of bonuses in a fund to help people who have been displaced due to foreclosure.
    PPK, just curious, what was the source of this article you posted.

1) Funny how the suits at that outfit will be able to get NYC licenses but those in the middle class who lost their savings to the phonied-up derivatives market won't.

2) Yeah, reparations need to be paid. Don't know in what form, or how, but they need to go to the large pension funds which purchased the derivatives and to the folks of modest means who lost half or more of the value of the CMOs and other products they bought based on false assurances of AAA ratings.

My first thought was how do these people not only expect to get a NYC gun permit of the specific type that allows for on body concealed carry as toward self-defense (the rarest and hardest of any such permit to secure not just in NYC or NY state but in the USA overall!!!)...And they seriously expect that this will be accomplished as prior to Dec. 25th, a mere 22 days away?!

This piece must either be a joke ala The Onion or it is written by a person who is wholly ignorant of _everything_ as reported which then leads me to believe that the statements about GS bankers is based on BS as well.

If one _key_ part of the story is false/BS then to my logic, and personal living in life experience, the whole of the story is very likely if not can be confirmed to be false/BS.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I saw the same story aired yesterday morning while getting ready for work. Whether or not they intend on getting them before the holidays is one thing.

The fact that they feel their lives may be in danger after recieveing additional billions of dollars in bonuses after the taxpayers have bailed out the company is another. In my mind, if your doing something that results in folks wanting to kill you, maybe your not doing something right.

I hope they don't get the permits actually, not because I want to see any harm come to any of them, but simply because I don't think they should be treated any differently than the average Joe. If they do mysteriously get the permits and get them before the holidays, well I guess somebody did some favors for someone.

Maybe with all their money, they can hire some security for themselves and stimulate the economy.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

TOF
    I agree with the difficulty of obtaining CCW permits in NY Janq but please do not paint the whole of the USA with the NY brush.

It would be close but if the turnaround time for permits in Arizona is the same as when I got mine it is quite possible to obtain one prior to Christmas of 2009.

Some parts of the USA are still reasonably citizen friendly.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Goldman's call to arms: Bankers seeking gun permits ahead of bonus season -- DailyFinance

Long link, I hope it works. If it doesn't it is/was an article at DailyFinance
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    I agree with the difficulty of obtaining CCW permits in NY Janq but please do not paint the whole of the USA with the NY brush.

It would be close but if the turnaround time for permits in Arizona is the same as when I got mine it is quite possible to obtain one prior to Christmas of 2009.

Some parts of the USA are still reasonably citizen friendly.
    TOF,

Re-read my post.
    You have misread my statement.

The NYC concealed carry as for personal protection permit is the rarest of such type not just in NYC or even NY state but in the US as it's membership is extremely low and limited...As among NYC residents with such a permit.

Of course other areas of the US are citizen friendly.
    NYC though is very much not. And for these people to expect they could get one at al, as in NYC, much less as within this calendar year makes no sense at all.
    But only a person who is wholly ignorant of the process and procedure as is infamous for NYC would think otherwise as this articles author has and implies.

The NYC concealed carry as for personal protection permit is akin to having ones city key or in your wallet an AMEX Centurion/Black card.
    A very very rare and generally difficult for anyone but the most connected & monied to acquire bird.

- Janq has six state carry licenses
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Links