Neighbor shot dead trying to stop NW Harris Co. robbery

This is a discussion on Neighbor shot dead trying to stop NW Harris Co. robbery within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Neighbor shot dead trying to stop NW Harris Co. robbery By DALE LEZON Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle Dec. 3, 2009, 11:19AM A man wounded in ...

By DALE LEZON Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
    Dec. 3, 2009, 11:19AM

A man wounded in a shootout as he tried to stop a robbery at a neighbor’s home early this morning in northwest Harris County has died at the hospital, officials said.

The shooting happened at a home in the 2500 block of Cadiz about 2 a.m., according to the Harris County Sheriff’s Office.

The man, whose name has not been released, was later found lying in his front yard. He had been shot several times. Officials said that he was rushed to Ben Taub General Hospital, where he died.

Investigators said that several men burst into the house and demanded property and cash.

A woman living in the home was in a back room and heard commotion and at least one gunshot coming from the front area of the house.

She locked the door to the room where she was, climbed out the window and ran into a nearby wooded area to hide.

The man who lived across the street apparently confronted the thieves and fired more than once at them, deputies said. But at least one of them fired back, hitting him.

Neighbors told investigators that they heard several gunshots during the robbery, deputies said.

The suspects fled after the shooting. It was unclear if any were wounded.

No other information was immediately available.

dale.lezon@chron.com

Man shot dead in NW Harris Co. robbery | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    It is a shame. I don't know what happened, but it didn't turn out the way the helpful neighbor expected. Since he is dead, we will never know his plan of action or if he had one.

I have some plans for night time problems. None of them include leaving the cover of my house at 2:00am to engage robbers in a gun battle.

Sad story...
    Here's a case of someone who became a dead victim and should have become a good witness...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Home invasions are becoming a big problem and neighbors need to look out for each other.

Sounds like the good neighbor needed a different gun and better plan.

Not all the good guy win in a gun fight, sometimes at 2am and in poor light it may all come down to just luck.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Sad. Another reason I have steel braces on the doors. It should give me at least a 30 second warning before they start kicking the hinge side. These BG's will run into the wrong house and then it'll be lights out without wasting a ton of taxpayers money.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Home invasions are becoming a big problem and neighbors need to look out for each other.

Sounds like the good neighbor needed a different gun and better plan.

Not all the good guy win in a gun fight, sometimes at 2am and in poor light it may all come down to just luck.
    Agreed to some extend....it's the same here, but one needs a proper plan of action and needs to know when to pick and choose ones battles first. I live in a somewhat rural area. I called for a break in at my home here and it took 40 minutes before the "local" sheriff deputy showed up. My neighbor has had to call for various reasons in the past as well with just about as good results. So we watch out for each other and circumstances depending...I may leave the safety of my home to help, but not without a clear plan of action and 911 already on the horn to at least get the sheriff-mobile wheels rolling.

Folks living in the city will have varying results. If I'm in suburbia or a city where officers can respond faster, I'd probably keep my butt in the house.

Hopefully we'll get more info on this one as time progresses, but without more info it's all just speculation since at face value it looks like this well-intentioned fellow may well have left his own refuge either without a plan or with a bad one and engaged unknown BG's on open ground.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Note: It was several men that entered the home, this is becoming the pattern of home invasions.

As many as 4 or 5 coming through the door at one time and over powering the home owner.

An unarmed or underarmed home owner does not have much chance aganist such odds.

If it is a fight to the finish choke points in the home are of up most importance.

The good neighbor who was killed in this case was out in the yard and from the sound of it he was not under cover which left him wide open and in the harms way.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I've gotta say, if I am ever intent on helping a neighbor across the street in this type of situation, I am doing it from my brick walled porch with my rifle.

OTH, gang banger shooters can't hit anything within 20 feet, but have seemingly sniper accuracy with handguns at unseen targets 5 blocks away. I might need to rethink this.
    Last edited by Sticks; December 4th, 2009 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Adding further thought
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Folks living in the city will have varying results. If I'm in suburbia or a city where officers can respond faster, I'd probably keep my butt in the house.
    The day I took my CCW class, the instructor related a story about his daughter had a SD situation 6 blocks from the police station. Dialed 911 with a knife wielding attacker kept at bay with a weed-eater, then called her dad who was TEN MILES AWAY. He beat Cape PD by a good half-hour...

Cape is a small enough town to qualify as "small-ish" at apx. 50k.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

If it's a home invasion, the shotgun and / or AR is what will be in my hands.

Links