Bad-- Don't "play" with firearms.

This is a discussion on Bad-- Don't "play" with firearms. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A person died wrongfully "I didn't mean to" = involuntary manslaughter at a minimum that's why it is called "involuntary" if there is no intent ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad-- Don't "play" with firearms.

A person died wrongfully

"I didn't mean to" = involuntary manslaughter at a minimum

that's why it is called "involuntary" if there is no intent and the consequences of incarceration of such crime should be implemented accordingly. With the degree of negligence and willful disreguard for safety with a deadly weapon, it could be argued as more than involuntary manslaughter. The owner of the weapon could (or arguably should) also face similar charges.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Better get on you flame resistant undies, I am wearing mine. I agree that if the details are trueand it was an accident. I am sure she is punishing herself everyday.

I think after the facts are given, and if its a negligent homicide, she should get at least 5-10 yr. probationBUT!!! See below

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    I HOPE she is. Guns aren't toys, and a young man is dead because of her carelessness.

MattLarson is right. She knew the gun was real, she pointed it, and pulled the trigger.

The idiot boyfriend showed her the "trick", probably just dumb luck that she isn't the one dead instead of him. Does that make him eligible for a Darwin Award?

What if her boyfriends roomate,{the one who "showed her the trick"} had the hots for her and decided of a crazy way to get him out of the picture??
    I'm just say'in

Our country was not founded on the absence of religion, but rather the freedom to choose religion, or not. It was founded to be free of dictated faith and allow free expression
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I'm confused as to what the "trick" was.

Dropping the mag before racking the slide?

Or dropping the mag while shooting?
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    She has already learned a harder lesson than anything in jail could. All jail would do here is ruin another life.
    What she did is analogous to driving drunk and killing someone. She willfully engaged in unlawful behavior (pointing a gun at his head and pulling the trigger), and that behavior resulted in the death of a person.

IMHO, her "feeling bad" that she negligently and idiotically killed someone is insufficient punishment.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    17 years old and doesn't know guns are dangerous? What closet has she been locked in? Anyone who watches TV or goes to a show knows a gun is not a toy. IMO shes lucky to be charged with involuntary manslaughter and not negligent homicide.

This is pretty hard one. Kids are stupid and especially ones that never grew up around guns. I think she should have a mandatory 5 year probation and and several hundred hours of community service work.

This may stay on her record for life in which she is screwed. Her several life opportunities
    would be closed to her.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Can't fix stupid can ya!!

I'm kinda suprised reading some of the soft post here,
    less than a week ago some wanted to hang old Huckabee for
    getting cop killer the light sentence.

Why do current judges think it's okay to let serious offenders walk on bail?

VIP Member
    Very sad a young life lost and another one destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    I'm confused as to what the "trick" was. Dropping the mag before racking the slide? Or dropping the mag while shooting?
    I too do not understand what the "trick" was supposed to be. Can anyone elucidate?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Trying To Do 'Gun Trick' ... on a bed in the back room of his home ...
    That's a good way to get killed. It's not a trick. It's physics. What a waste of lives. Stupider and stupider, paraphrasing Alice.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    I'm sorry, but the "trick" of dropping the mag without chambering a round ounds exactly like the games of "Trust" resulting in soldiers getting killed that made the news rounds about a month or so ago. If that's the case, the end-result of the game is that you point a gun at somebody and pull the trigger.

If that is the case, I have no sympathy. I would be very curious to find out if the dead boyfriend was military and might have picked up the game there. (Note: not a bash on military folks in general, to be sure; the "Trust" think just jumped out of that story at me, though...)
    No proof, but I think this sums up the "trick". You try to act like you chamber a round, with the mag just low enough not to chamber one. Then it becomes like Russian Roulette, but there should be no round chambered. If that is it, it is an accident looking for a place to happen. It makes it much easier to shoot someone when you have the gun pointed at their head. Conversely, it is nearly impossible to shoot someone if the gun is not pointed at them. Pretty simple really.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    No proof, but I think this sums up the "trick". You try to act like you chamber a round, with the mag just low enough not to chamber one. Then it becomes like Russian Roulette, but there should be no round chambered. If that is it, it is an accident looking for a place to happen. It makes it much easier to shoot someone when you have the gun pointed at their head. Conversely, it is nearly impossible to shoot someone if the gun is not pointed at them. Pretty simple really.
    In other words, the magazine is not locked in, but you're holding it with your non shooting hand, and then racking the slide? And then dropping the magazine?

I don't get it. Why is this a trick? What's the point?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I agree that this is a tragedy for two lives, one dead and one responsible for that death. I too, think that some punishment is due, but I do not think prison will make her a "better person." Perhaps community service or maybe having her speak to youth groups about how dangerous firearms can be if not handled properly?

Another thought comes to mind. For those of us that are familiar with firearms this is a no brainer and is obviously unacceptable behavior. But, what about those who are not familiar with firearms and have never been around them. They mentally know they are dangerous, but do not really understand what that means. Especially when they see others performing a dangerous trick with no one getting hurt. It is like a someone knowing that driving under the influence is dangerous, but think it will never happen to them. Then when they go through driver's education classes and see the mutilated bodies and cars that result from driving under the influence, the reality of the act becomes clear.

Why not have mandatory gun safety classes in school so that kids can learn the correct way to handle (or not handle) firearms? Once they are taught correct techniques and the laws of gun safety they should be much more able to make the correct decision on what to do, or not do, with a firearm.

Not much chance of this ever happening, but, I think it is an idea worth consideration IMO.
    NRA Life member
    USCCA member
    A muscle not exercised will eventually atrophy.
    A right not exercised will eventually be taken away!

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    In other words, the magazine is not locked in, but you're holding it with your non shooting hand, and then racking the slide? And then dropping the magazine?

The reason you don't get is because it is clear to you how stupid this is. Cut the top of your head off and dip half your brains out. Then it will become clear to you.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post

Look up news stories on soldier fatalities involving a game called "Trust".

The way it works is Stupid Person #1 locks back a semi-auto pistol, drops the slide, then releases the mag and points it at Stupid Person #2. If SP#1 has done the "trick" right, no round chambered when the slide fell. SP#1 says to SP#2, "Do you trust me?" Assuming SP#2 says, "Yes," SP#1 pulls the trigger. End result should be click, no bang. Obviously, this does not always work out so well.

(Of course, the "game" is based on testosterone poisoning, where there are large disincentives for SP#2 to give the correct answer, which is, "Get that bleeping gun out of my bleeping face!")

That is what makes it a "game" in the same sense the Russian Roulette is a game.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links