Bad-- Don't "play" with firearms.

This is a discussion on Bad-- Don't "play" with firearms. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by RmScadd I agree that this is a tragedy for two lives, one dead and one responsible for that death. I too, think ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bad-- Don't "play" with firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by RmScadd View Post
    I agree that this is a tragedy for two lives, one dead and one responsible for that death. I too, think that some punishment is due, but I do not think prison will make her a "better person."
    The purpose of prison is not to make someone a better person. It is to punish.
    Last edited by MattInFla; December 6th, 2009 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tag
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RmScadd View Post
    I agree that this is a tragedy for two lives, one dead and one responsible for that death. I too, think that some punishment is due, but I do not think prison will make her a "better person." Perhaps community service or maybe having her speak to youth groups about how dangerous firearms can be if not handled properly?
    If she is so dumb that she did not know and understand the ramifications of pointing a gun at someone's head and pulling the trigger, then she should be kept in jail so her stupidity doesn't result in anyone else's death.

She took a gun - a gun she knew was real - and a magazine with live ammunition in it, "played a trick" while going through the manual of arms of loading the gun, deliberately and willfully pointed it at a person's head, and pulled the trigger.

Even taking the most benevolent possible view of her actions, her conduct represents a depraved indifference to human life, and that indifference caused someone's death. Manslaughter would be a gift were she only charged with that.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    If she is so dumb that she did not know and understand the ramifications of pointing a gun at someone's head and pulling the trigger, then she should be kept in jail so her stupidity doesn't result in anyone else's death.

She took a gun - a gun she knew was real - and a magazine with live ammunition in it, "played a trick" while going through the manual of arms of loading the gun, deliberately and willfully pointed it at a person's head, and pulled the trigger.

Even taking the most benevolent possible view of her actions, her conduct represents a depraved indifference to human life, and that indifference caused someone's death. Manslaughter would be a gift were she only charged with that.

Matt
    Agree 100%. We could put her in prison until her IQ breaks 100.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    The way it works is Stupid Person #1 locks back a semi-auto pistol, drops the slide, then releases the mag and points it at Stupid Person #2. If SP#1 has done the "trick" right, no round chambered when the slide fell. SP#1 says to SP#2, "Do you trust me?" Assuming SP#2 says, "Yes," SP#1 pulls the trigger. End result should be click, no bang. Obviously, this does not always work out so well.
    Oh I see... you're supposed to release the slide while simultaneously dropping the mag, then asking the other person to "trust" that you dropped the mag before a round can be chambered.

You're all right! That is the most stupid thing I ever heard of.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Look up news stories on soldier fatalities involving a game called "Trust".
    Thanks Kazzaerexys, for the explanation. I did find an NPR story on this. If anyone is interested:

Marine 'Trust Game' Has Deadly Consequences : NPR

What a stupid "trick." Fools!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links