Bad & Ugly: 15-year-old found guilty of home invasion, 'stranger rape' (MI)

This is a discussion on Bad & Ugly: 15-year-old found guilty of home invasion, 'stranger rape' (MI) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported by MLive.com: 15-year-old found guilty of home invasion, 'stranger rape' By John S. Hausman | Muskegon Chronicle December 03, 2009, 1:33PM The verdict ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad & Ugly: 15-year-old found guilty of home invasion, 'stranger rape' (MI)

Bad & Ugly: 15-year-old found guilty of home invasion, 'stranger rape' (MI)

As reported by MLive.com:

15-year-old found guilty of home invasion, 'stranger rape'

By John S. Hausman | Muskegon Chronicle
    December 03, 2009, 1:33PM
    The verdict was swift and severe.

A judge this week found 15-year-old Teddius Patterson of Muskegon guilty as charged of first-degree criminal sexual conduct, first-degree home invasion and three gun counts for a harrowing “stranger rape” in the female victim’s home.

After convicting Patterson following a bench trial, 14th Circuit Judge William C. Marietti scheduled sentencing for Dec. 29. Tried as an adult because of the severity of the sex charge, Patterson faces years in prison.

The attack happened the night of June 22 in the apartment of a 19-year-old woman in the 500 block of Margaret Street in Muskegon. Patterson was 14 at the time, out on bond facing juvenile charges for an earlier break-in of an elderly woman’s home while she slept. He already had a record of juvenile convictions for arson and possession of cocaine with intent to deliver.

In testimony at Patterson’s trial and at an earlier probable-cause hearing, the victim told of being sexually groped by a young stranger she confronted in her apartment — then trying to shoot him dead with her husband’s loaded handgun, only to have the invader wrest the gun away.

She positively identified Patterson as her attacker. A warrant for his arrest was issued after she picked his picture out of a police photo lineup June 24. He turned himself in July 4.

Teddius Patterson

The woman said she was home alone in her bedroom with the light on around 11:30 p.m. when she heard someone in the kitchen. She said she got up and saw the person she later identified as Patterson.

The woman testified she confronted the youth and ordered him out of her house, but he said “no” and shoved her onto her bed.

As she fought and kicked him and told him to get off her, she said, the youth sexually assaulted her with his hand. Eventually she asked him if he wanted money, to get him away from her, then shoved him off and went to the bedroom closet — actually to get her husband’s semi-automatic handgun.

She pulled the gun out, aimed it at him and tried to shoot to kill — but the loaded gun didn’t fire because the safety was on. The invader fought for the gun and got it away from her, she said. Then he held it to her back and repeated the sexual assault.

Finally, she testified, she shoved him away and ran out of the apartment, running a couple blocks to a stranger’s house on Ducey Street. There she asked for help, was allowed inside and called 911.

After returning to her apartment later with police, she found the gun, her purse and her cell phone missing.

Besides the sex and home invasion counts, Patterson was convicted of theft of a firearm and two counts of possessing a firearm while committing a felony.

E-mail John S. Hausman at jhausman@muskegonchronicle.com

Source - 15-year-old found guilty of home invasion, 'stranger rape' | Muskegon News - - MLive.com

- Janq

Note:
    To all women AND husbands, boyfriends as well as brothers who reside with women.
    If said persons as within your residence are not completely against firearms AND have some remote interest in learning how to handle them...Then sit down with them and teach them in a formal way the basic mechanics of how a firearm functions.
    Keep it simple. Keep it safe. Keep it educational...And then take them to the range to show them how to safely and properly handle siad firearm as is stored at your home for home defense.
    It's not necessary to show them all of your guns or how every gun you own works. Just the one that is the go to gun in your home.

Had this woman had such an education then she would have been able to defend herself AND not found herself at the mercy of her attacker, who choose not to do her with her own firearm....After having his way with her as during an assault. :(
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

My wife picked a revolver as her go-to gun of choice after taking a handgun class and trying out various makes and models of handguns.
    This article makes me very glad with her decision.

Note:
    To all women AND husbands, boyfriends as well as brothers who reside with women.
    If said persons as within your residence are not completely against firearms AND have some remote interest in learning how to handle them...Then sit down with them and teach them in a formal way the basic mechanics of how a firearm functions.

Keep it simple. Keep it safe. Keep it educational...And then take them to the range to show them how to safely and properly handle siad firearm as is stored at your home for home defense.
    It's not necessary to show them all of your guns or how every gun you own works. Just the one that is the go to gun in your home.
    +1

Excellent.

VIP Member

DA/SA

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    As reported by MLive.com:

She pulled the gun out, aimed it at him and tried to shoot to kill — but the loaded gun didn’t fire because the safety was on. The invader fought for the gun and got it away from her, she said. .

(
    This is why I like my DA/SA for a HD gun.

I carry a SA only pistol, and do have to keep the safety issue in mind and practice releasing it when I draw.

Anyway, the young thug might have gotten the gun away anyhow, even if she got off a shot--- inexperienced and under stress, it more than likely would have missed.

Hopyard,

Good point.

Heck there are people running off home invaders with small caliber handguns, break action rifles (.22) and bird duty shotguns (.410 and up) with barrels as long as a kitchen table.

IMHO no matter what one might for any given reason choose to keep at hand be sure to be _100% FUNCTIONAL_ as in it's use and operation.

Anything less than 100% is 1) failure and 2) getting raped in your home while held at the mercy of a BG as by our own gear.

I personally am a fan of intermediate power level handguns and longguns, with notably mid if not _short_ barrels regardless of the firearms format or action type.

Specific environment generally tight average residential interior and average civilian operator application focus oriented.
    SBS (1st choice), SBR (2nd choice) and/or a short barrel length handgun (3rd choice).

Nothing special or even especially expensive.
    Just operator ergonomic and hits hard functional.

Any one of the three as an absolute no equivocation always gotta go bang requisite must be pipe wrench reliable and hammer simple to operate.
    Anything otherwise increases ones potential for failure as was learned by this poor woman the very hard way.

- Janq

P.S. - Personally like yourself I too very much prefer single action.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Hope this guy goes away for a long, long time. Try him as an adult-no juvie breaks!!!!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

He could have have killed her!!!!

Hope she gets over the trauma of the evil event!!!!!!

She should learn to defend herself, it will give her confidence to face life.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

This is one reason I recommend Glocks to everyone. You pull the trigger, it fires. You dont pull the trigger, it doesnt fire. As reliable as a revolver and a lot more ammo capacity
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -Suzanna Gratia Hupp

Even better, with a Glock the trigger pull is pretty much akin to single action albeit heavy.

Striker fired Glock is IMHO a very much viable HD choice, as against that of a revolver IF ones hand to hardware interface works well enough with it to hit with repeatability and function.

- Janq

Wife chose a G19 and a S&W 642 because there were no safeties or anything to mess with. Point, pull the trigger, repeat as necessary.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

He'll be back on the streets in a couple years. Next time, and there WILL be a next time, hopefully he won't survive.

That's about the 3rd one posted on here in a week or so where the female did not know, or was unable to operate the gun. They were all semi's, by what I read.

Sounds like this guy has already proven his morality as well as inclinations, and violent tendencies and would be good to keep him locked up for a very very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    He'll be back on the streets in a couple years. Next time, and there WILL be a next time, hopefully he won't survive.
    This dirtbag won't be back on the streets for at least a couple of decades. I hope he's passed around to all the 'big' boys for a toy.
    He's a 'cute' lookin' guy, and that should make him VERY popular.

This is another reason that I leave a Glock out for my wife whenever I leave.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Even my wife told me she didnt want a gun with a safety. Another factor to add time to the process of squeezing a life saving round off when seconds count.

Sorry woman I hope you feel you get your justice. I think many years in prison is not enough.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roalho View Post
    My wife picked a revolver as her go-to gun of choice after taking a handgun class and trying out various makes and models of handguns.
    This article makes me very glad with her decision.
    +1...

If under stress you need a point and shoot type of gun... especial if not trained well enough on that type of handgun... to many safeties on a gun may end up like this situation
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links