Marine dies in argument over football game

This is a discussion on Marine dies in argument over football game within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Still too early to tell on this one. If he was drawing his gun and shot, he's in deep trouble. If during the scuffle the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marine dies in argument over football game

VIP Member

Thumbs down Marine dies in argument over football game

Still too early to tell on this one. If he was drawing his gun and shot, he's in deep trouble. If during the scuffle the gun was fired while trying to maintain control of it he may be alright as far as state charges. Either way a tragic thing to have happen.

Police: Marine dies in argument over football game - CFB News - FOX Sports on MSN

HAVELOCK, N.C. (AP) - Police in North Carolina are saying a Marine was accidentally shot to death when he got into an argument with a friend over the Texas-Nebraska football game.

Police say 21-year-old Johnathan Clinton Rodriguez was shot early Sunday after banter escalated with a fellow Marine at a home in Havelock, a town near the coast. Authorities say Rodriguez got into a scuffle with 23-year-old Lionel Loya, who had a gun that went off during the struggle.
    Loya has been charged with involuntary manslaughter. It's unclear whether he has an attorney. He was transferred to military authorities who didn't immediately return a telephone message Monday night.

Texas beat Nebraska 13-12 on a last-second field goal to win the Big 12 championship Saturday.

2. Remove Ads

Damn! Some folks take these games a little to seriously these days.

Sad story for sure.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

College football is dangerous, the fans are nuts.

I wonder if they'll get Gibbs and Abbey on the case.
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

... who had a gun that went off during the struggle.
    Well, either player A fired it, player B fired it, or it dropped and fired without intervention. Either way, since someone's dead and one is left standing, the one still standing is going to be targeted. It's how the system works no matter the truth.

Good lesson: getting into arguments while armed can lead down ugly paths.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

What a waste of life. Like it really matter who wins a football game. Go ahead and get my exercise in jumping to conclusions. Was beer invloved? Can't wait for the superbowl.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

No winners here at all.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Well I would say being a former Marine, that most likely there was some adult beverage involved with football. I hate to hear things like this my Marine brothers are having a hard enough surviving in Iraq and Afghanistan, they should not have to die over here. I pray for both families and the young Marine.

It's just a game.

If a game is too much for an adult person to take as to the point that they feel need to go fisticuffs with anyone about anything, then well they should seek consultation with a professional. Seriously.
    Further if a person cannot drink and enjoy a game or even have light discourse and not maintain, then they should not drink and again possibly seek out professional consultation.

Adults don't act like children.
    Never mind fighting and killing each other over what is nothing more than a spectator sport _game_.

Sad.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Can't have a gun and a bad temper.

For those of you in and around alabama.... Alabama VS. Auburn... I lock my doors lol

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Still too early to tell on this one. If he was drawing his gun and shot, he's in deep trouble. If during the scuffle the gun was fired while trying to maintain control of it he may be alright as far as state charges. Either way a tragic thing to have happen.

Police: Marine dies in argument over football game - CFB News - FOX Sports on MSN

Gee, do you think alcohol was involved?
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    As a retired soldier I have utmost respect for the Marines and all of the services. So I say this with that attitude.

First, alcohol and guns do not mix. The statement "If he is old enough to fight for his country, he is old enough to drink" just does not hold up. He is fighting as a part of a unit with leaders who are directing the fighting. When drinking he is on his own, and that takes a different level of maturity than fighting as part of a unit.

Second, it is an example why it would not be wise to have/permit all military on a base to carry their duty weapons loaded.

I truly feel sorry for the families and the dead Marine.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by fox2102 View Post
    For those of you in and around alabama.... Alabama VS. Auburn... I lock my doors lol
    I live about 1,000 miles away. You southern folks take foot ball WAY too seriously.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

I wonder how much alcohol was involved. What stupid way for a young kid to die.

My daughter is an Operating Room Nurse. She was on call the night prior to the South Carolina vs Clemson football game. About 9 p.m her beeper went off and back to the hospital she goes. Seems a Father and Son got into an argument over the game. The son beat the father senseless. The father went into surgery and had four plates (two on each side) placed into his jaws to repair the breaks. Sad!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links