Ugly: Bronx mom Lakisha Scriven shot in head, killed in front of daughters

This is a discussion on Ugly: Bronx mom Lakisha Scriven shot in head, killed in front of daughters within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported by the NY Daily News: Bronx mom Lakisha Scriven shot in head, killed in front of daughters while taking them to school BY ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugly: Bronx mom Lakisha Scriven shot in head, killed in front of daughters

Ugly: Bronx mom Lakisha Scriven shot in head, killed in front of daughters

As reported by the NY Daily News:

Bronx mom Lakisha Scriven shot in head, killed in front of daughters while taking them to school

BY Edgar Sandoval, Barry Paddock and Jonathan Lemire
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Originally Published:Monday, December 7th 2009, 11:35 AM
    Updated: Monday, December 7th 2009, 3:35 PM

olice investigate the scene of Friday's execution-style shooting of Lakisha Scriven, a Bronx mother who was taking her children to school at the time of the murder.

A Bronx mom taking her kids to school Monday was killed by a brazen gunman who fired a bullet into the back of her head as her daughters screamed in horror, police and witnesses said.

Lakisha Scriven, 30, a supervisor for the city's Administration for Children's Services, was shot execution-style as she loaded her girls into her parked SUV.

"I heard crying and screaming," said neighbor Alicia Parks, 25, who was awoken by the gunshots.

"The only thing I kept hearing was, 'Mommy!'" said Parks, an administrative assistant. "When I finally woke up, I heard, 'The bad man killed Mommy.'"

Scriven died at Jacobi Medical Center an hour and a half after the 7:15 a.m. shooting in Wakefield, police said.

Her girls, ages 5 and 8, were unharmed but terrified, Parks said.

Parks was barefoot and wearing only her nightgown when she dashed into the street to whisk the girls into her home as police swarmed the bloodstained SUV.

"At first, I hugged them, consoled them," said Parks.

"The little babies were traumatized. I tried to ask for their father or a number, but they couldn't give me any information," she said. "After today, you know you're not safe anywhere."

Investigators - who believe the shooting was a hit - were questioning the father of Scriven's children as well as the victim's new boyfriend at the 47th Precinct stationhouse last night, police sources said.

The kids told Parks and police that they did not recognize the gunman. Police believe the killer walked up to Scriven's Ford Explorer as she piled her girls into the vehicle and then opened fire.

Scriven lived with her girls in a well-maintained building just steps from where she was slain, relatives said.

"It feels like a bad dream," said Donna Hamilton, 50, the dead woman's aunt. "She was a good mother, a professional. She took care of kids who had problems at home."

Last week, Scriven forced Clarence White, the father of her girls, to move out of her home after months of fighting, neighbors and relatives said.

Police responded to the home to investigate calls for domestic disturbances in 2003 and again last year, but no one was arrested either time, a police source said.

White's relatives insisted that he would never harm her. "He loved her," said his sister Diane Tolliver. "She was the mother of his children. He picks up his children every day after school."

It was not immediately clear when Scriven started dating her new boyfriend, according to neighbors and police sources. His name was not released.

jlemire@nydailynews.com

With Sarah Armaghan, Erin Einhorn and Rocco Parascandola

Read more: Bronx mom Lakisha Scriven shot in head, killed in front of daughters while taking them to school

A video report can be found here; Mom Murdered in Front of Her Kids - ABC News

- Janq

Comment:
    Interestingly this has not made but local news.
    While when the couple with the special needs children were done same in their home that was national front page news for nearly a month.

Regardless this is the world we live in.
    People will do you in front of your kids without a second thought....For having some sort of issue or problem with you. Or even for no discernible reason at all.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

I see she was an Administrator for Children's Services. I wonder if the shooter was someone out for revenge or retribution of some kind.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    I see she was an Administrator for Children's Services. I wonder if the shooter was someone out for revenge or retribution of some kind.
    Makes me think that somebody killed her after she took their kids away
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Interestingly this has not made but local news.
    While when the couple with the special needs children were done same in their home that was national front page news for nearly a month.
    Janq, you're correct . . . it's the world that we live in, and it's a twisted world. We all know that "Lakisha" isn't a very newsworthy name, though.

:(

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I was thinking that too. If that's true, but that would be real dumb for a parent to do that, as now they will never get their kid(s) back! But, no one ever said that all parents were smart.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by av8er View Post
    ...We all know that "Lakisha" isn't a very newsworthy name, though.

:(
    Yup.

Which honestly is one of multiple reasons why when my kids were born I was dead set against any manner of even remotely ethnic sounding name being used.

My wife didn't understand this as she is Caucasian (Franco-Jewish ethnicity) and has a 'regular' name as well.
    But understood or not fact is ones name makes a difference, and not because I say so.
    It shouldn't be that way but fact is it is that way. :|

Another life and living survival item to think on which many people do not as related to the welfare of their kids.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Yup.

Which honestly is one of multiple reasons why when my kids were born I was dead set against any manner of even remotely ethnic sounding name being used.

My wife didn't understand this as she is Caucasian (Franco-Jewish ethnicity) and has a 'regular' name as well.
    But understood or not fact is ones name makes a difference, and not because I say so.
    It shouldn't be that way but fact is it is that way. :|

Another life and living survival item to think on which many people do not as related to the welfare of their kids.

- Janq
    It is really sad it has come to that in this country.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Seems like people in these types of jobs should be armed. Also, a recent domestic split after a long decline in the relationship. Again, the woman should have been encouraged to get a gun and learn how to use it. If for no other reason than the husband will no longer be in the house to help protect the family.
    Last edited by tiwee; December 8th, 2009 at 09:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    Seems like people in these types of jobs should be armed.
    This may be true, but you need to remember, this took place in The Bronx, which is one of the five counties comprising New York City. It is next to impossible to get a permit for a firearm within the confines of NY City!
    -- Benjamin Franklin

This is just so overwhelmingly sad. A very sad day. To think in NY where it is so difficult to obtain, own and or carry a firearm.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Five and eight years old. This story breaks your heart. For the rest of their lives, the Christmas season will be a struggle for these children. People have to be insane to do this kind of thing to others in front of little girls.

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    It is really sad it has come to that in this country.
    Why would a shooting in the Bronx be national news? That's business as usual.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

Tragic all the way around. Those kids will be haunted by this the rest of their lives.

Here in WV, a social worker was killed by a family when she went to visit and remove the child from an abusive environment. She was beaten to death by the two individuals. The father-in-law helped cover it up, he didn't participate in the beating, but didn't step in to prevent it either. Of course they were caught, prosecuted and jailed for murder. The social workers here can't be armed when they go to homes.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    This is just so overwhelmingly sad. A very sad day. To think in NY where it is so difficult to obtain, own and or carry a firearm.
    ...but easy if you don't mind breaking the law to do it; and if you plan to kill someone, why would you worry about breaking a gun law? Laws that tend to ban guns only empower the lawless. As we well know.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    YEP!^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    Seems like people in these types of jobs should be armed. Also, a recent domestic split after a long decline in the relationship. Again, the woman should have been encouraged to get a gun and learn how to use it. If for no other reason than the husband will no longer be in the house to help protect the family.
    [QUOTE=JonInNY;1401359]This may be true, but you need to remember, this took place in The Bronx, which is one of the five counties comprising New York City. It is next to impossible to get a permit for a firearm within the confines of NY City![/QUOTE

Peoples Republic of China {NYC}!!!!^^^^^^^^^

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links