HCSO: Manager Shoots, Kills Robber Case To Be Referred To Grand Jury Without Charges

HCSO: Manager Shoots, Kills Robber Case To Be Referred To Grand Jury Without Charges

This is a discussion on HCSO: Manager Shoots, Kills Robber Case To Be Referred To Grand Jury Without Charges within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; HCSO: Manager Shoots, Kills Robber Case To Be Referred To Grand Jury Without Charges POSTED: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 UPDATED: 11:13 am CST December 8, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HCSO: Manager Shoots, Kills Robber Case To Be Referred To Grand Jury Without Charges

HCSO: Manager Shoots, Kills Robber
    Case To Be Referred To Grand Jury Without Charges

POSTED: Tuesday, December 8, 2009
    UPDATED: 11:13 am CST December 8, 2009
    SPRING, Texas -- Two people tried to rob a Spring dry cleaning business, but the shop's manager didn't let them succeed, KPRC Local 2 reported.

WATCH IT: Manager Fights Back During Robbery

Harris County sheriff's deputies said Nam-Duong Nguyen, the manager of the $1 Cleaners in the 18600 block of Kuykendahl Road, saw two people approach the store at about 6:35 p.m. Monday.

Nguyen said the two were wearing all black and he saw them pull masks over their faces.

The two crouched down and approached the front door, Nguyen told investigators.

Nguyen said he saw the two reach into the waistbands for an object. Nguyen, who has a concealed handgun license, pulled out his gun and fired toward the men about three times, investigators said.

The two tried to get away, but only one of them actually did. One of the men collapsed and died behind the northeast end of the strip center where the dry cleaning business is located, deputies said. The person had been shot, detectives said.

There was no identification on the body, officials said.

"The (second suspect was) possibly wounded still on the loose," Sgt. Robert Shields said. "We got the hospitals on notification to alert us. We haven't received any reports back from the hospital."

Detectives do not have a detailed description of the second person involved.

The case will be referred to the Harris County grand jury without charges.

The store was open for business on Tuesday.

Copyright 2009 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

HCSO: Manager Shoots, Kills Robber - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston

VIP Member
    Good news...I saw the earlier report on the news, but there wasn't too much detail....

Since it's referred to the grand jury without charges, it's pretty much a done deal... good for the store owner....
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Nice job by the store owner...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Dry cleaning : $1

Robbers getting away with : $0

Making armed robbery a deadly occupation: Priceless
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Kind of lacking on details here. Did the scumbags actually enter the business? Did the owner actually see them pull weapons, or just "objects" from their waistbands?
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Well done.....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

More from local Fox affiliate:
    Clerk Shoots 2 Robbery Suspects, Kills 1
    Updated: Tuesday, 08 Dec 2009, 5:24 PM CST
    Published : Monday, 07 Dec 2009, 9:31 PM CST

HOUSTON - Customers are applauding the efforts of a store manager who defended himself during an armed robbery attempt.

Harris County Sheriff's deputies say the manager fatally shot one suspect, 18-year-old Kevin Drayton, and injured another at approximately 7 p.m. Monday at the $1.00 Dry Cleaner on Kuykendahl Road at Louetta Road in northwest Harris County.

Investigators say the manager saw two masked men approach his store. The manager later told deputies that when the men entered the store, he saw them start to reach for something in their waists and that is when he opened fire with a weapon. One suspect died at the scene, and the second was able to escape.

"I think he did his job. I mean, he defended himself. He's supposed to do that," said customer Daniel Curtusan on Tuesday morning. "They awfully nice, and always did a good job for me. I just feel sorry for what they've been going through."

Deputies say they have notified hospitals to be watching for the suspect if he seeks medical attention, but no one reported treating the suspect overnight. The manager of the dry cleaning store was not injured.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

It is always great to hear about a good outcome in a bad situation. Too bad the other one got away.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Kind of lacking on details here. Did the scumbags actually enter the business? Did the owner actually see them pull weapons, or just "objects" from their waistbands?
    Nguyen said the two were wearing all black and he saw them pull masks over their faces.

The two crouched down and approached the front door, Nguyen told investigators.

Nguyen said he saw the two reach into the waistbands for an object. Nguyen, who has a concealed handgun license, pulled out his gun and fired toward the men about three times, investigators said.
    Under those circumstances I believe it would be a good bet they are reaching for weapons.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Being this is in Texas, gun friendly and defense friendly, this case will be NO BILLED, and that will be the end of it as far as the law is concerned.

Bigger problem is IF this was gang related the the store and manager are both subject to attack again.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Being this is in Texas, gun friendly and defense friendly, this case will be NO BILLED, and that will be the end of it as far as the law is concerned.

Bigger problem is IF this was gang related the the store and manager are both subject to attack again.
    This sounds like the Trinity Garden Cartels gang which frequents this area. This group is resorting to robberies to support their drug habits and income.

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post

Agreed....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

This is right where I used to live and plan on moving back to fairly soon. Good thing my guns are coming with me, although I never thought Spring was a bad area really. GJ for the manager!

I thought the purpose of the grand jury was to decide if the evidence/charges were sufficient to go to trial.

What is the grand jury supposed to do? If no charges I don't understand what decision they are making.

VIP Member
    Good SA, good shooting under pressure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links