NYC police: Officer kills Times Square scammer

This is a discussion on NYC police: Officer kills Times Square scammer within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The Associated Press: NYC police: Officer kills Times Square scammer NYC police: Officer kills Times Square scammer By TOM HAYS and CRISTIAN SALAZAR (AP) ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Associated Press: NYC police: Officer kills Times Square scammer

By TOM HAYS and CRISTIAN SALAZAR (AP) 19 minutes ago

NEW YORK A plainclothes cop chased a Times Square scam artist through sidewalks crowded with holiday shoppers and tourists Thursday, exchanging gunfire that shattered Broadway theater and gift shop windows, before killing the suspect near a landmark hotel, police said.

No one else was injured. The 25-year-old suspect was believed to be conning tourists along Broadway and 46th Street when he was recognized by a sergeant who works on a task force that monitors aggressive panhandling, chief NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said.

When the officer approached, the man took off running the streets and through the Marriott Marquis hotel's passenger drop-off area, Browne said. The sergeant pursued, and the man turned and fired with a Mac-10 machine pistol that held 30 rounds; he got off two shots before it jammed, Browne said. The officer returned fire, killing the suspect, Browne said. It's not clear how many shots he fired.

Dave Kinmahan, a tourist from Boston, was parking his car in a spot below street level at the hotel when he saw one man shooting another.

"I was 20 yards away," Kinmahan said. He said he thought, "Is this real or this a movie?"

The hotel is located in the Broadway theater district and near the heart of Times Square. The area includes the Minskoff Theatre, home to the popular show "The Lion King," and bullets hit the theater ticket box near the Marquis, cracking the window.

Dozens of police officers surrounded the popular hotel, taping off the valet parking area as tourists and holiday shoppers stopped to watch the commotion. Kathleen Duffy, a spokeswoman for New York City Marriott Hotels, said the shooting took place in a taxi pickup and drop-off area.

The slain man was not immediately identified. Officers suspected him and another man were working a scam in which they would approach tourists, ask them their names, then write their names on the CDs and demand payment of $10.

The 25-year-old suspect had been wanted for assault in the Bronx, but the officer approached him because he was recognized as an aggressive panhandler, authorities said. There were 27 live rounds left in his gun, authorities said.

Duncan Stewart, a Broadway casting director for National Artists Management Co., has a 12th-floor office that overlooks Times Square. He said he was on the phone when he heard three loud pops.

"With the echo, I didn't quite know what it was, but within five minutes, there were cars, police sirens, cops running," he said. "It was chaotic."

Stewart has worked in Times Square for the past three years. He's gotten used to seeing the weird and wacky, but almost never anything violent.

"It's bizarre. It's one thing to see the Naked Cowboy day after day in Times Square, but a shooting is something different altogether," he said.

New York City's crackdown on panhandling began under former Mayor Rudy Giuliani, when "zero-tolerance" policing was instituted to curb quality-of-life offenses. Panhandling, public drinking, public urinating, graffiti and disorderly conduct were all part of the crackdown as a way to bring order to the city by sending the message that no crime would be tolerated.

When Mayor Michael Bloomberg first took office in 2002, one of the first things he did was launch "Operation Clean Sweep," aimed at those same quality-of-life problems. By the end of Bloomberg's first term, the program had had resulted in some 33,000 arrests and 350,000 summonses.

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly has said the NYPD "will assert the public's right to be left alone by aggressively going after quality-of-life violators."
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

He also had a MAC-10 that jammed after two rounds... lucky for everyone around.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

New York City's crackdown on panhandling began under former Mayor Rudy Giuliani, when "zero-tolerance" policing was instituted to curb quality-of-life offenses. Panhandling, public drinking, public urinating, graffiti and disorderly conduct were all part of the crackdown as a way to bring order to the city by sending the message that no crime would be tolerated.
    Apparently the no gun policy can't be enforced like all the above. Didn't the perp know you can't have a gun inside NYC? Guess he was too busy panhandling to see the signs.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Lucky it jammed, for sure. Its odd though, we often hear about BGs guns jamming. Do you suppose it has something to do with A) them being dumb as dirt; B) not having a way to try it out somewhere?

I guess if they were smart they'd be buying 642s without locks instead of cool looking things that aren't reliable.

Wow crazy place for that to go down. Since Rudy cleaned it up Manhattan really is pretty safe. I was there every day for years and never saw anything major happen......

I mean there was always the random snatch & grab but they rarely turn violent and are easy to prevent yourself.

I saw a taxi hit a kid once, and I even saw a famous actress get hit by a car....that was pretty crazy but she was totally OK.....tough little chick....

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Lucky it jammed, for sure. Its odd though, we often hear about BGs guns jamming. Do you suppose it has something to do with A) them being dumb as dirt; B) not having a way to try it out somewhere?

I guess if they were smart they'd be buying 642s without locks instead of cool looking things that aren't reliable.
    Yeah it seems the BGs guns fail a lot, thank God......

You point out some good probable reasons too...... them being dumb and ignorant about guns is one reason, no legal place to practice as you said..... The cheap guns they use, the ammo, the fact that I doubt too many are maintaining their guns....etc...etc.....
    Last edited by JD; December 11th, 2009 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Merged posts

I'd bet a buck that the gun was semi-auto by manufacture (most probable) AND that due to operator modification(s) it jammed.

It's just a pistol like any other. Even as it is boxy and resembles the FA units often featured in Stephen J. Cannell produced TV shows.
    But folk on the streets will modify all manner of items like this to get FA capability....With the side effect of jam-a-matic action.
    Ghetto gunsmithery FTL.

No doubt during a future press conference Bloomberg and Schumer will have this thing on display as an example of why no citizens anywhere do not need to own guns and how dangerous & scary they are.
    Convincing and converting the ignorant and morons with half truths if not out right lies.
    As along with the concern for hunters desire of "heat seeking" incendiary terrorist boolits. :|

- Janq

"Masterpiece Arms manufactures a semi-automatic variant of the MAC-10 called the MPA-10" - Wikipedia/Mac-10

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    ...no legal place to practice
    Just as in rural areas there are all manner of places in any major city to practice and 'train', unlawfully.

I first learned how to shoot, in a city, the very much wrong way (!) as a single digit aged 'shorty' growing up shooting in alley ways and at abandoned construction & parking lots.
    In my day on every other block there was some cat in an army jacket willing to show you how to shoot as they had learned in 'Nam.

Natives don't and generally won't call the po-po and if they do come by all you gotta do is be able to out run the two slowest kids in the group.

As well there are in major cities abandoned whole buildings and industrial complexes (factory buildings) everywhere that have zero police patrol.
    This has long been very normal areas for 'range' use as for generations....before I was born and likely before my dad too, both of city born & raised.

These people practice and shoot.

They just don't _train_, which is very different as related to operator functionality and by that odds of success.
    Go to any lawful public range anywhere in the US on any given day and you'll see 1 in 20 people on the line, maybe, training.
    The rest they shoot and hold on as the gun goes BANG.

Ask any RO/SO. They'll tell you same. :|

Never ever assume IRL if run up on by a city bred BG that dude can't shoot, and hit a man sized target.
    They do shoot and practice just not in woods, fields or as at pumpkins placed on a fence post.

- Janq trains
    Last edited by JD; December 11th, 2009 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Merged posts
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I guess it will escape the Mayor's attention that this guy had a MAC-10 with which he was willing to shoot a cop. What if he would've pulled it on a tourist that refused his services? What do you suppose the Mayor would have said tourist do? Begging for your life to a would-be a cop-killer doesn't sound like a good gameplan.

All we'll hear out of Bloomberg is "guns are bad, m'kay?" with zero analysis of what just happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Go to any lawful public range anywhere in the US on any given day and you'll see 1 in 20 people on the line, maybe, training.
    The rest they shoot and hold on as the gun goes BANG.

Ask any RO/SO. They'll tell you same. :|

- Janq
    Janq, I'm afraid I might fall into the latter category of people most of the time. Let's say I got to the range with my EDC and 200 rounds. Can you point me somewhere that can show me a good regimen for how to expend those rounds? Thanks!

Holger
    Last edited by JD; December 11th, 2009 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Merged posts

Not a problem Holger.

It's better to keep it real and recognize as much than to continue fooling ones self into thinking that putting rounds down range is all you gotta do.
    A whole bunch of LEOs roll this way too, nationally...FTL. Their shooting event/case stats support as much and have for decades.

Anyway you are in luck as this forum provides a wealth of information and suggestions as related to your query...

Defensive Carry & Tactical Training - DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum
    Defensive Books, Video & References - DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum

And then there is this thread that has been running the past 24 hrs.; http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...oots-idpa.html as related to IDPA which is active trigger time training.

International Defensive Pistol Association
    YouTube - idpa promo
    YouTube - IDPA Indoor Nationals

Bullets now days cost a lot of money per round.
    Don't just shoot for the sake of shooting and to handle recoil. Train.
    Recoil isn't effective in stopping BGs from trying to harm you. But training is.

$0.02 Street

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Where the hell does a bum comeup with enough money to buy a Mac-10?

Quote Originally Posted by Thijones View Post
    Who said Buy stole it more likely.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    -1 more bad guy
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I'm here in NYC right now. I feel naked without my carry.
    What a pit this place is... New York sucks.

Hey..... I know that area and have been there quite a few times, but that was 40 yrs ago, and it wasn't too great a place to be late at night then. A MAC-10 ??

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thijones View Post
    Don't mistake a panhandler for a bum. A panhandler in a good area can easily make several hundred dollars a day, and that is tax free.

We used to watch one from a job site here in Richmond. He'd arrive every morning driving a new Cadillac. Park it and walk 2 blocks to "his" corner. At the end of the day he'd walk back to his car and go home.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links